Home

What makes franchise mode immersive for you?

This is a discussion on What makes franchise mode immersive for you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2011, 06:04 AM   #201
Rookie

petersondagreat's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: What makes franchise mode immersive for you?

Im a simple guy I just want the CPU teams to compete at a high level and make smart offseason moves to improve their team not the Jags drafting a HB with the first pick when they have MJD and so many other holes in their roster. Radio shows newspapers ect is indeed a bunch of fluff. I wanna play a game where i might be like damn I dont wanna play them. So basically a challenge is all I ask I want to have to work to stay under the cap due to players wanting more money and have to make tough cuts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #202
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersondagreat
Im a simple guy I just want the CPU teams to compete at a high level and make smart offseason moves to improve their team not the Jags drafting a HB with the first pick when they have MJD and so many other holes in their roster. Radio shows newspapers ect is indeed a bunch of fluff. I wanna play a game where i might be like damn I dont wanna play them. So basically a challenge is all I ask I want to have to work to stay under the cap due to players wanting more money and have to make tough cuts

yeah the cap issue is big...I have to set house rules right now to keep things reasonable....it would be nice to actually have to deal with cap issues and decide who to sign and cut. right now by the 2nd or 3rd year in chise you are swimming in money and really could resign everyone and add a few superstars to boot.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #203
Pro

OVR: 18

The whole idea of a Franchise Mode is to give us an ongoing relationship with our favorite team and with the game itself. Franchise is basically YOUR team's story within a living, breathing league. Instead of a playing a solitary game, you are working against the other teams to position yourself for the playoffs and hopefully to win it all. It is about building your team and feeling a sense of progression - for better or worse based on your actions. What makes Franchise Mode immersive is making us feel like our play and performance have consequences. Immersion is putting us, as gamers, in the moment by showing us the impact our games and players have on the league as a whole.

League play needs to feel alive. There should be a sense of what is happening around us. We see this all the time in the real NFL, where pre/post and halftime shows talk about the happenings around the league. Tickers are constantly showing us live scores and statistics from other games. Showing and talking about other team performaces and how it directly impacts our own playoff hopes (for example) is very immersive. Out of town highlights via Game Breaks absolutely contribute to immersion and complete that sense that we exist as part of a bigger picture.

Weekly recap shows that talk about player injuries, performances and statistics, along with team tendencies can help us plan for our next game. Tom Brady is hurt? Great, lets focus on the running game against New England next weekend. Identifying trends, discussing strengths and weakness of division rivals throughout the season makes Franchise mode feel real. A smart, dynamic, progressive and natural sounding commentary engine, capable of making those associations is critical. Repetition and poor execution takes us out of the experience. We talk all the time about skipping though most of these cookie-cutter editorial sequences, that if done right can really add the league experience.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #204
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprestonevans
The whole idea of a Franchise Mode is to give us an ongoing relationship with our favorite team and with the game itself. Franchise is basically YOUR team's story within a living, breathing league. Instead of a playing a solitary game, you are working against the other teams to position yourself for the playoffs and hopefully to win it all. It is about building your team and feeling a sense of progression - for better or worse based on your actions. What makes Franchise Mode immersive is making us feel like our play and performance have consequences. Immersion is putting us, as gamers, in the moment by showing us the impact our games and players have on the league as a whole.

League play needs to feel alive. There should be a sense of what is happening around us. We see this all the time in the real NFL, where pre/post and halftime shows talk about the happenings around the league. Tickers are constantly showing us live scores and statistics from other games. Showing and talking about other team performaces and how it directly impacts our own playoff hopes (for example) is very immersive. Out of town highlights via Game Breaks absolutely contribute to immersion and complete that sense that we exist as part of a bigger picture.

Weekly recap shows that talk about player injuries, performances and statistics, along with team tendencies can help us plan for our next game. Tom Brady is hurt? Great, lets focus on the running game against New England next weekend. Identifying trends, discussing strengths and weakness of division rivals throughout the season makes Franchise mode feel real. A smart, dynamic, progressive and natural sounding commentary engine, capable of making those associations is critical. Repetition and poor execution takes us out of the experience. We talk all the time about skipping though most of these cookie-cutter editorial sequences, that if done right can really add the league experience.
This sums up my thoughts. Well said.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:05 AM   #205
Banned

OVR: 2

I wish players could be villains or fan faves. Like for instance a player wants a trade,free agent/draft bust, holdout or leave via free agency could be a villain of that team. A player that chooses one of those options can expect boos.Or say u hav to release or trade a fan fave when that player returns he would still hear some cheers from the crowd.

Another little thing I would like to see. If u do a great job as a franchise like winning super bowls. Ur franchise team could be deemed Americas team or something like that. So when ur team travels, fans of ur team travel with u. On the flipside it make fans boo ur team that much harder too.

Add more stats I would love to see how many times my wr was targeted or how many Passes were attempted at shutdown cb

Last thing Defensive holding that's a major issue I never hear anyone speak on. Thats one of the most thrown flags in the league. Cmon madden. NFL 2k5 put in as soon as the rule debut.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #206
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Already somewhat disappointed in Franchise mode for M12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
You know after the all the hype, I'm already disappointed in franchise mode for this year (M12). It will significantly improve in a FEW areas...and these are great improvements, but so many little, easy, but immersive things continue to be left out.
1. Training camp,
2. newspaper articles,
3. radio talk show,
4. college all star game,
5. emails from players,
6. scouting report on players for next game, position by position,
7. The ability to build a new stadium without relocating.
8. a draft that sounds like you are in the draft room (like old gen with crowd booing or cheering.
9. Mel Kyper or some other draft analysis
10. A hall of fame you can visit (you know some player makes the hall in 2017 and you can go in and see his plaque or bust or lifetime stats or something.

What's particularly annoying about all this is that I'm pretty sure that this was all available in prior iterations of the game, mostly old gen. For the life of me, I can't see why most of this can't be put in. The stuff they did is way harder and I appreciate it greatly but most of these little things seem so easy...why leave them out? It's almost as if they consciously don't put it in....like there's an attitude that "well not many people really want this anyway" or "lets hold things out so we can add them a little at a time each year" or some other mindset.

Now I want to be clear, I'm not bashing Madden. Own M11 play every night and enjoy it greatly. I'm excited about M12 and will be on line at midnight for the first time since 08. But it's so disappinting that this little stuff can't be added.....

And yes, I've said this all before.....just frustrated I guess....and anal of course.....and unable to let things go.....and.......

Biggest ones for me, i really hope they get implemented.

My Mariners dynasty!
XBL Gamertag- xLMJx21
Old 06-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #207
TLF
Rookie

TLF's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprestonevans

yesss

There should be a sense of what is happening around us. We see this all the time in the real NFL, where pre/post and halftime shows talk about the happenings around the league. Tickers are constantly showing us live scores and statistics from other games. Showing and talking about other team performaces and how it directly impacts our own playoff hopes (for example) is very immersive.

i want a ticker of a game like the Rams vs the Ravens and he upset the Great Ravens Defense 14-9 , i wanna Knopw these things
0____0

a big injury , breakout player like a 4th stringer getting a mvp performance
Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #208
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLF
yesss

There should be a sense of what is happening around us. We see this all the time in the real NFL, where pre/post and halftime shows talk about the happenings around the league. Tickers are constantly showing us live scores and statistics from other games. Showing and talking about other team performaces and how it directly impacts our own playoff hopes (for example) is very immersive.

i want a ticker of a game like the Rams vs the Ravens and he upset the Great Ravens Defense 14-9 , i wanna Knopw these things
0____0

a big injury , breakout player like a 4th stringer getting a mvp performance

Yep...that'd be great...one version of madden did give you somewhat of a ticker (was it 08 or 07 on old gen???)

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »