Home

Awareness: What is the point?

This is a discussion on Awareness: What is the point? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #17
Pro

kc10785's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Awareness: What is the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Not sure what it does, but it would be nice if it controlled things like...

-A RB picking up the blitz
-A WR/TE running the correct option route
-An o-lineman picking up a blitz/stunt
-A DB/LB making correct adjustments in his zone
-A DL recognizing passes vs runs, draws & screens

And if they had gap, read & contain assignments, it could controll d-linemen & LBs being in/out of position.

And I agree with those saying overall ratings should be removed/hidden. I'm not sure what it's good for other than sorting the free agent list.

this right here sums it all up of course if you are controlling a player you take over the awareness but you can't control all 11 players on the field. Those things that it effect are huge in real life that is what keeps players as starters or on the bench.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

AWR definitely comes into play for at least a couple of positions in simulated games.

If you have a Qb that is rated in the 80's OVR (like one you just drafted) and he's got a 90+THP and a 90+THA but his AWR is in the 50-60 or even low 70's range, that QB is going to toss a LOT of picks when you sim games. Once you get him in the mid 80's and above, you really see a big change in that. At least this is very true in Madden 09 for the PS2. I know this from vast experience with that game. For the newer Madden 11, I haven't played it nearly as much to notice a difference because I don't like the Franchise mode in that game nearly as much.

CB's also needed AWR to be of any use in simming. A CB with an AWR below 70 would allow tons of catches and struggle to get INT's. Once they got up into the 80's, things changed.

As for the difference in any other position I haven't really noticed anything I could really put my finger on that led me to believe that it was the AWR (and not some other stat like better STR or PBK or RBK, etc) that was the cause for the change in stats.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 8

AWR does effect human controlled players in some way... Not sure about HB, WR, OL, or Defensive players -

FACT: QB with low AWR has trouble throwing a spiral. He is also more likely to throw in the direction a receiver is running instead of the route when there is no lead on the stick (so you have to wait until a receiver is facing you on hook routes). With that bit of information, I'd guess that elements of every position are effected in some way as well. Video in my Arena.

EXPERIENCE: For WR I've noticed an inability for receivers with low awareness to toe-drag at the right time. One year (can't remember which) Dwayne Jarrett would sometimes catch an out route an tip toe and fall even though he was 5 yards away from the sideline and I was intending to cut it upfield. I'm sure that was tied to his AWR.

THEORY: Recently in my league games, I've had to use teams other than the Panthers (Cardinals, Cowboys, Falcons). I've noticed that some DB's tend to miss more when trying to swat passes. I also assume this is tied to AWR as well.

AWR touches every player in subtle ways when you're controlling them and in many ways when you're not.

Later
Old 06-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

while playing the game i find that very little matters outside of SPD & ACC but if you sim thru the season,
you will see the difference
Old 06-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #21
(PS3) Madden 13

mirrored32's Arena

OVR: 18
Icon6 Re: Awareness: What is the point?

I appreciate this thread! It leads to the concept of how these attributes really 'over lap' and how they really 'effect' the player.

The overall theme I am catching from reading the posts is:
  • how does it effect Sim Play Vs. User Controlled
  • do other attributes overlap and how? (BCV, AWR or route running. AWR)
in the broad scope of things, it would really be nice if a Developer could shed some distinct light on how these attributes in general really work per position and interaction with other players on the field.

with (DPP) Dynamic Player Performance this could get really crazy, in theory.

I hope that the 'ratings' or 'attributes' do all matter in some way either vi SIM or USER CONTROLLED.

But in my experience:

I feel that when I have a HB with better AWR it seems he gets the play to execute better in running. with a a QB it seems the he and the WR's play better. It seems I can find holes in the defense easierwhen I have a player with higher AWR.

But again, this is a 'feeling' not a fact. Perhaps someone of the DEV community could shed some light?

Last edited by mirrored32; 06-22-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Clean up the Visual for the post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 0

I find awareness to effect all parts of the game, even when controlling the player.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #23
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
I could be wrong but I've found that awareness ratings seemed to influence the following.

When controlling backs with higher AWR I thought I noticed that they got through the holes smother, without getting hit as much. I"ve got a beast back in my chise with low awareness (makes his ovr 75, while most of his importan numbers are high 90's). THis guy gets hit in the hole all the time. I thought i was me but I have a guy with high awareness on the same team who splits time. He's smooth as silk throught he hole. The first guy get jostled and bumped and tripped all the time. It just seems harder to AIM him.

Wr - seems to affect their ability to run their routes and react to the ball. I know they have a rating for route running but guys with low awr don't react to the ball. IE. I throw to Fitzgeral over the middle....he gets in a crease and makes the catch. A low AWR maddeningly runs BEHIND the MLB.....he's open then runs himself into being covered.

I could be wrong but it sure seems this way to me....I'd hate to think it had no bearing at all.

Which brings me to DPP......oh well I digress.

I agree with the above re: HBs and WRs...

I'll also add that (in my experience) low AWR QBs lead to better coverage / pursuit / higher AWR for the CPU controlled defence, where high AWR QBs will have more open receivers, more time in the pocket etc...

AWR seems to affect all the players, either in the way they perform and / or the way the AI / CPU reacts / plays against them...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »