Home

Ratings and Roster announcement "near future"

This is a discussion on Ratings and Roster announcement "near future" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #57
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Ratings and Roster announcement "near future"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon46
too many players that run the same 40 times have different speed ratings in Madden, that is not accurate ! Seems like too many ratings are based on a perception, not on actual things we know.
While I agree with the second part, I'll explain the first part by comparing a couple of players:

First, definitions:

The Speed rating is how fast they players are at top speed.
The Acceleration rating is how fast the player reaches top speed.

Second, assuming that players reach top speed in a 40 yard dash, we can use combine data to differentiate between two players with the same 40 yard dash time.

I'll be comparing DeSean Jackson with Andre Caldwell from the 2008 Combine as both players ran a 4.35 40 yard dash. If that was all the data we had, then we would assume that both players were equally fast, but because we have 10 yard split times, we can differentiate between them.

Jackson ran the first 10 yards in 1.53 seconds, while Caldwell ran it in 1.47 seconds. What that tells us is:

1) Caldwell accelerates faster than Jackson, thus Caldwell deserves a higher acceleration rating
2) As both players ran a 4.35 time - and we know Caldwell accelerates faster than Jackson - then Jackson must have a higher top speed, otherwise he couldn't regain the 0.06 seconds he's slower than Caldwell on the first 10 yards. Jackson deserves a higher speed rating, despite both having the same 40 yard dash time.

Most impressive is that DeSean Jackson ran from the 10 yard mark to the 40 yard mark in just 2.82 seconds. That's faster than Darrius Heyward-Bey and Julio Jones, even though they both got a faster 40 yard dash time. The reason they've got a better time is because both players accelerate faster than Jackson, not because they have more speed.

Another example would be to throw Chris Johnson in the mix. He ran a super fast 4.24 40 yard dash with an amazing 1.4 10 yard split, but if you look closely at the numbers, you can tell that, even though CJ has got an incredible acceleration, he's actually got less top speed than DeSean Jackson. CJ is slower than Jackson from the 10 yard mark to the 40 yard mark.

When the Madden 12 ratings are released, you probably won't be able to tell that Clay Matthews ran a faster 10 yard split than DeSean Jackson - Matthews ran 0.04 seconds faster than DeSean Jackson on the first 10 yards. Tiburon usually 'guesstimates' and ranks according to expectations and common belief.

Last edited by guaps; 06-26-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
White had 28 more catches than CJ and was targeted 42 more times. He should have more yards and better overall stats. HE didn't though. He had less TDs and YPC. It doesn't matter if you have 150 more yards than another WR if you caught 28 more passes and scored less and picked up less yards per catch.

If you're looking for the WR, do you want the one who will get you 15 yards per catch or 10 yards per catch?
White had arguably the best season of ANY receiver last year. His amazing receiving stats don't even show what an incredible blocker and amazing hustler he is. He has won 2 games alone just by coming out of nowhere and stripping the ball on an interception to get the ball back for ATL. He is a do it all guy. As far as YPC goes, the Falcons offense just isn't a big downfield offense. Falcons fans complain about it all the time, but it is more Mike Mularkey's fault as opposed to Roddy White's. And I think you guys overrate YPC WAY to much. I don't know if it is just that you guys have played too much fantasy football, but consistently getting 10 yard catches as you help march your team down to the endzone wears down defenses and that is what the Falcons are known for doing! Yeah, they don't get the big ESPN highlight 50 yard pass, but they will wear down your defense by slowly driving down the field and getting in the end zone. Also, why in the world do you guys treat receptions like a bad thing? The guy caught 115 catches, which I am pretty sure is the most since Marvin Harrison went and caught 143 back in 02. Do you know how hard it is to catch 115 balls in the NFL? Not to mention that he does that while being double covered pretty much all of the time. As far as CJ being a physical freak, I absolutely agree, but being a physical freak does not make you elite. Jerry Rice was not a physical freak.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxfever
Calvin is better than Roddy. Deal with it. Roddy has a better QB and gets thrown to every other play. Calvin has to play with Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton , not to mention the Lions have no run game, and yet, Calvin still puts up elite numbers. Imagine if he ever had a good QB throw him the ball. Roddy White was a bust until he had a good QB throw him the ball. Calvin has been elite with the type of QB play Roddy had in Atlanta before Matt Ryan got there, when he was a major bust.
Actually, Roddy White caught 83 passes for 1200 yards with Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich at quarterback. That is more yards than CJ has ever had except for one year and Roddy White did that with Joey Harrington throwing him the ball.

Also, Calvin Johnson does not put up elite numbers. He has never gone over 80 catches in a season and he has never hit the 1350 yard mark in a season. The guy makes big plays. The guy is a great receiver. But he is NOT elite.

Last edited by angels eclipse7; 06-26-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #60
Football Fanatic

Yukon46's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
While I agree with the second part, I'll explain the first part by comparing a couple of players:

When the Madden 12 ratings are released, you probably won't be able to tell that Clay Matthews ran a faster 10 yard split than DeSean Jackson - Matthews ran 0.04 seconds faster than DeSean Jackson on the first 10 yards. Tiburon usually 'guesstimates' and ranks according to expectations and common belief.
I agree with what you are trying to point out, good examples...for sure.
Very in depth and accurate....

But this last line you write is what I am saying the problem is !

I just think a system could be put in place, a system based solely off of actual facts we know...like 40 times, shuttle times, bench reps....
instead of "guesstimates" !

They create/guesstimate all the position specific ratings....Truck/Spin/Pass Block....all of them !

So if you are saying it is too complicated to just base Speed/Accl/Strength off of actual raw number facts.........
But you think all of these "guesstimates" are OK.......then that is were we differ.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #61
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I'm curious to see what they could possibly have in store for Ratings and Roster that would be "exciting." Doesn't seem possible, but if they can prove me wrong, nothing would make me happier.
lol, I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's just their "Madden Hype" way of announcing that they will be releasing ratings for some players lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #62
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
lol, I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's just their "Madden Hype" way of announcing that they will be releasing ratings for some players lol.
Except that all Donny said was that there would be exciting ratings announcements (which could reasonably include the release of the full ratings for each team), this forum/thread is the one that's hyped it into more than it could possibly be, not 'their Madden hype'.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #63
Rookie

suthrnthug's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels eclipse7
Actually, Roddy White caught 83 passes for 1200 yards with Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich at quarterback. That is more yards than CJ has ever had except for one year and Roddy White did that with Joey Harrington throwing him the ball.

Also, Calvin Johnson does not put up elite numbers. He has never gone over 80 catches in a season and he has never hit the 1350 yard mark in a season. The guy makes big plays. The guy is a great receiver. But he is NOT elite.
You can't be serious?! Calvin Johnson is not a elite player? Have you watched him play at all? He is the only weapon Detroit has. Roddy White plays with Tony Gonzalez, Micheal Turner, Matt Ryan (ALL PRO BOWLERS BTW!) and a solid defense. You think Roddy White could carry Detroit? If Roddy White played in Detroit I bet nobody would know who Roddy White was! Watching that playoff game against Green Bay last year I barely remember who Roddy White was.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #64
Banned

BestServedCold's Arena

OVR: 1

Hopefully, they exciting news is that they actually matter lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »