Home

Pre-Snap Adjustment Changes

This is a discussion on Pre-Snap Adjustment Changes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Rookie

GGEden's Arena

OVR: 11
Pre-Snap Adjustment Changes

In real life, a QB makes usually one audible tops pre-snap, and the amount of hot-routing would be as minimal too.

I suggest streamlining Madden in a couple ways to make it a bit more accessible and fun, reducing the clutter, whilst ensuring the on-field steers clear of arcade.

Step 1:
Pre-snap, allow only one audible, one receiver hot-route, one OL block, one run direction. Pre-snap on defense, allow only one audible, and one assignment change per position.

Eg...
On defense you could make one audible, one DL shift/blitz, one LB shift/blitz, one DB adjustment.

Step 2:
Replace the individual defensive assignment context menu with a new Defensive Adjustment Option offering you types of plays to defend against.

Eg...
You line up in a 4-3 cover 2 man, you feel they might run a screen to the right, so after bringing up the context menu, you might press D-pad to the right which could be "defend screen right", and the game automatically changes a few assignments for you in one step. Puts the LDE in flat coverage, puts the LOLB in a hook zone, puts the LCB in hook zone, while keeping all the other players in their original assignments.

D-Pad defensive options could be the following...

First push Right Thumb-Stick to bring up context menu.

Then Choose A (defend run) or B (defend pass) ... or for PS3 ... X (defend run) or O (defend pass).
Then choose D-Pad direction for option.

A + D-Pad Right = Defend Run Right
A + D-Pad Left = Defend Run Left
A + D-Pad Down = Run Blitz
A + D-Pad Up = Defend Inside Run

B + D-Pad Down = QB Contain
B + D-Pad Up = Defend Med/Deep Pass
B + D-Pad Right = Defend Screen Right
B + D-Pad Left = Defend Screen Left

--

So, traipsing a fine-line between over-simplifying and over-complicating (which is where it's at now). The key with my suggestion above would be to ensure that the game-play respects ALL football fundamentals. It's not about making the game arcade to reach casual gamers, but making it a little less onerous with the controls, whilst making the actual game-play more true to life.

Last edited by GGEden; 07-02-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Pre-Snap Adjustment Changes

Nope.......I don't even want to discuss that until I see a heck of a lot more effort put into the Designs of Plays/Playbooks from EA......

I'll just say they're "lacking"....putting it nicely

Be so freaking boring Playing Defense with one or two changes with the play design/playbooks as currently constructed

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 25

They just need to eliminate the offensive audible system completely imo. One of the Game Changers had a great suggestion, when you are at the play call screen you select 3 plays from a formation, the 1st one is the one you are running and the other 2 can be audibled to for that ensuing, that is basically what you see in the NFL.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Capitaine
Why can't we have both? The 3 set plays are easy access audibles that take no more than a second for the QB to call out while still under center, but the regular audible system he has to step to the right and left to call out and everyone has to make the necessary adjustments.
Because in the NFL, QB's dont come to the line with 8 plays in their head... well not in a regular offense, but in a no huddle yes it is possible.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Capitaine
I'm not so sure they don't, but that's not the point. Peyton Manning comes to the line with 3 quick calls on every play. A run right, a run left, and a pass. Now I'm assuming whatever play he calls in the huddle takes the spot of one of those three, whichever one it fits obviously. But I'd also bet he still has the option to make a more classic audible, like changing the pass play he called to a different pass play based on what the defense is giving him, and even adjusting the formation. That's what's available to us now with the 'offensive audible system' you want to eliminate completely.

The way I see it working is you call a play, and the remaining 2 spots are automatically filled with a run left or run right or whatever. While you're at the line you can make a quick call, where the QB doesn't even need to leave his stance, and just makes it from his cadence. Just like in real life, and it shouldn't take more than a few moments. But I still want the more 'classical' audible system where I make audibles that weren't part of the original play, just like in real life. Whenever you see an offense adjust their formation, it wasn't a part of their 'quick call' system.
How many Peyton Mannings are in the league?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Rookie

GGEden's Arena

OVR: 11

Good debating so far. I don't mind if people disagree/agree. Bringing their own suggestions to further enhance is great too.

I agree with what TNT said in the other thread -- that stock plays stink, there should be create-a-play feature, that was always the most immersive fun. I agree with SteelerSpartan that the playbooks and designs are lacking.

However, it's about keeping the game as realistic as possible, and people sitting there pre-snap totally re-designing a play with 40 audibles and hot-route changes is not realistic. Whilst defense is onerous, with the individual player assignment changes that we all end up giving up on.

The time for play-design should not be pre-snap, but in the play-calling menu and create-a-play/playbook features.

The ideas brought by LeCapitaine and ScriptOhio about re-doing the audible system to just three is also good, with a QBs greater awareness attribute being linked also to their understanding of the teams playbook, giving him more audibles, more command of the play-calling.

Adding further to realism of this...I also suggest each team has their own default football philosophies on offense and defense for online play. If we have gameflow programmed in now, then madden should further expand on that. Teams with WCO, no huddle, air coryell, power-running, base strategy, and each team designated with certain playmakers on their offense that further focuses their playbooks.

With offline/online franchise mode, and being able to hire coaches etc, then these philosophies/strategies and playmakers, then we can tailor these as part of those modes.

Last edited by GGEden; 07-02-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Playbook limitations make the Pre snap stuff necessary.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

After reading original post I was somewhat skeptical but after considering ideas and suggestions brought up through this discussion I am now really liking the possibilities.

If properly implemented this would greatly inhance the immersion level as it would require the user to consider/study each opponents basic playbook and tendancies pre game. Much like a real NFL coordinator does before deciding on a game plan. Adding the ability to make half time adjustments to your audibles and defensive adjustments/assignments would enhance even further!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »