Home

Evidence of Improved Zone Coverage Over the Middle in M12

This is a discussion on Evidence of Improved Zone Coverage Over the Middle in M12 within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 07-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Evidence of Improved Zone Coverage Over the Middle in M12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Touch passing gentlemen! Do you want the game to make the perfect pass FOR YOU every time?
Um, totally not the point of this thread. This one's about the issues with Madden's implementation of zone coverage, past, present and future.

LT, I get what you're saying, and I think you're right. A big time factor in the all this is that the pass rush in Madden also has serious problems. You simply have too much time in Madden to throw the ball generally speaking, and this problem is abetted by the lack of penalties for dropping back and/or scrambling.

As a realist, I know they won't fix that side of things, so all I can hope for is that they overcompensate by fixing zones without going so far as to make passing impossible.

To keep this positive and forward-looking, let's revisit it when new videos crop up. I'm looking for good things here, trying to be positive.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Um, totally not the point of this thread. This one's about the issues with Madden's implementation of zone coverage, past, present and future.

LT, I get what you're saying, and I think you're right. A big time factor in the all this is that the pass rush in Madden also has serious problems. You simply have too much time in Madden to throw the ball generally speaking, and this problem is abetted by the lack of penalties for dropping back and/or scrambling.

As a realist, I know they won't fix that side of things, so all I can hope for is that they overcompensate by fixing zones without going so far as to make passing impossible.

To keep this positive and forward-looking, let's revisit it when new videos crop up. I'm looking for good things here, trying to be positive.
Very good point, having 5 seconds in the pocket or excessive scrambling would more often than not draw a holding penalty in real NFL and NCAA football.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #19
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
LMFAO. Thanks for condescending. I'm plenty aware of the relative strengths and weaknesses of particular coverage calls and the kinds of personnel you need to run given coverages well.

We've all played the long enough to know that passing deep over the middle of the field, particularly to the slot receiver and the tight end, is shockingly easy to do in Madden compared to real life. This is because the spacing of the zones covered by the backers and the secondary is off, because some of the zones don't cover the proper part of the field for the call, and because zone defenders generally do not play the route combinations being presented to them.

Sure, players need to know what coverages do, but that knowledge doesn't mean anything unless the zones do what they're supposed to do in the game.
It was a long-standing joke in the league I used to run that 3rd and 15 was much easier to convert than 3rd and 3. That's not 'cause we were all collectively dumb; it's 'cause zone's didn't work like they should.

To the point of the thread, I think the best evidence I've seen is the GB video. The NCAA retail copy should also be a good tell, and that's coming soon.
The problem has never been that we want zones to cover everything but we want them to cover what they are designed to cover, cover 2 rarely gives up anything in that 5-8 yards box because linebackers take the right drop in this game they dont, in a cover 3 you rarely see safeties getting beat for big plays on go routes but in this game you do, because the safeties take horrible angles. All any legit gamer wants is for the game to do what its supposed to do, if I call a cover 2 and get beat in the seam then I am not mad but to give up a slant against that defense should rarely happen. that is what we want for the game to reward you for making the right calls and this one doesnt, it forces you to play way more man to man than you should.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 55

What I think EA was trying to get across with their zone improvements were the "pass off" idea for defenders. In Madden, players mostly just move to a spot and sit. In real life I think the idea is to drop to a certain spot (be it hook, flat.. whatever) then drift to take whoever enters your area. That's where flooding comes in.

It worked in past games, but it still was wonky in the sense that many zones could be beat without it due to defenders not drifting when a single defender enters their area. Hopefully what EA has done is make their defenders more aggressive in covering their designated areas. Given what they told us, that's what I expect to see.

A great past example is the cover 2 and the CB taking the flats. Should a 10 yard out be open against cover 2 where that's the only route to that half of the field? In past Maddens, it would. The CB would stand at the LOS by himself with a WR behind him. Now, that CB should really sink and take away what's behind him if no threat enters the flats. He should prioritize better.

As for seeing this in video, I don't have conclusive memories of success or failure with this. I do remember EA advertising it, though.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 07-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 25

The builds I played of Madden 12 back in early May had much improved Zone D. You are jot able to force passes over the middle and still get the catch. The window to hit a receiver is much smaller. Same thing on NCAA right now, I have had it since Friday and the zone d is.just nasty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
The builds I played of Madden 12 back in early May had much improved Zone D. You are jot able to force passes over the middle and still get the catch. The window to hit a receiver is much smaller. Same thing on NCAA right now, I have had it since Friday and the zone d is.just nasty.
is it nasty in the realistic sense though?...or are we taking a step back with LB's jumping 5 feet from a stand still position to swat balls down?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »