Home

Read 'N Lead Feature for Madden

This is a discussion on Read 'N Lead Feature for Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Read 'N Lead Feature for Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
No thank you. As the video demonstrates the usage of the read'n'lead passing system, it also illustrates one of the fundamental flaws in it. Receivers in NFL Fever are just as psychic as the receivers in Madden, as you can lead the ball anywhere (say, 10 yards off target) and they still adapt on the fly with their backs turned to the QB.

A read'n'lead system would only work if combined with a route based passing system, in my opinion, so you're limiting the user input to how far ahead on the route you want to throw and not given complete freedom to throw anywhere. Personally, however, I would still prefer a pure route based passing system.

I disagree to certain extent.

Being able to throw the ball where ever you want is as realistic as it gets. The problem isn't with the Read n Lead system, it's with the rest of the game.

If a Football game had a realistic locomotion system, along with "vision cones" for all players on the field so they only reacted to what they could see, then you would never have a situation where receivers would get to passes that they couldn't get to in real life, regardless of where you threw them.

I'm a huge proponent of RBP, but controlling ball placement is better and more realistic than RBP in every way.

I agree that Read n Lead can be used as an exploit, but that has more to do with the other mechanics of the game, and nothing to do with the fact that you can control where the pass goes.

In real life a QB controls where the pass goes, there are just other factors that aren't represented in Football videogames that determine if a receiver is still able to catch the pass or not.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Rookie

GGEden's Arena

OVR: 11

Read and Lead coupled with the FIFA vision cone, for all receivers and QBs, would work really well.

Anyway, as can be seen in that video, if you do place the ball too far away, the receivers can't catch them, they try but can't get there. And if you throw the ball behind players they have to stop and go back, tackled for a loss or hurting their YAC chances.

RBP is too limited on its own. The variance between a poor throw and good throw is trapped to the route being run, an "arc" of a few yards difference. RnL tho has a massive arc of difference, and will cause all sorts of random mayhem. Especially if they ensure the targeting cross-hair icon is a bit touchy, and with blitz pressure of Madden, coupled with smarter DBs/LBs, then it wont ever be too cheesy/money, getting 100% accuracy or perfection from.

Last edited by GGEden; 07-08-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman
Wow! Never played Fever. That game truly was ahead of its time. Something like this would make madden so much more realistic and entertaining.
People say Fever and 2k where ahead of their time, and that only holds true , because of how bad of a job EA did with its franchise title on the next gen console. Which now gives that perception that they were ahead of their time.

I truly believe if those companies never had to stop making football game. Those games would not look like they were ahead of their time, because by now those companies would have advanced on what they started years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
No thank you. As the video demonstrates the usage of the read'n'lead passing system, it also illustrates one of the fundamental flaws in it. Receivers in NFL Fever are just as psychic as the receivers in Madden, as you can lead the ball anywhere (say, 10 yards off target) and they still adapt on the fly with their backs turned to the QB.
Im sure you played the game of football, and watched many highlights. Im sure you can agree that a NFL qb will throw a football to a area on the field. Mean while the receiver is not looking, and only looks at the very last second to see the football.

They do look at the football when catching it.

So I ask you why what you see in the video is so off?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
MVP

BezO's Arena

Not feelling it unless it can be done without the cross hairs on the field. I HATE all things extra cluttering my screen.

I'm OK with Madden's current system except for 2 things:
  • It isn't route based.

Self explanatory. WR should run his route until he turns his head and can adjust to the ball. This way we're forced to look to the areas we want to throw AND the defense can see where we're looking.

• We're not forced to look where we're throwing.

Give me the cone method w/o the cone. Only give WRs in the QB's line of sight an icon instead. Split the field into halves, thirds & quarters for top tier, 2nd tier & 3rd tier QBs to scan. Add head/shoulder turning animations and wallah.
Basically, I think it can be done without adding any meters or flashing lights.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
Rookie

GGEden's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
People say Fever and 2k where ahead of their time, and that only holds true , because of how bad of a job EA did with its franchise title on the next gen console. Which now gives that perception that they were ahead of their time.

I truly believe if those companies never had to stop making football game. Those games would not look like they were ahead of their time, because by now those companies would have advanced on what they started years ago.
Interestingly, games like NFL Gameday, NFL 2K, NFL Fever were better sellers than Madden for a slab of years, before the license was won by EA.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Search for the vision cone discussion thread guys...all this is in there. closed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »