Home

No Online Franchise Additions- No $60! (Poll)

This is a discussion on No Online Franchise Additions- No $60! (Poll) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Will You Buy Madden Used Instead of New this Year?
Yes, online franchise was completely neglected! 46 13.81%
Yes, but for other reasons. 26 7.81%
No, online franchise isn't that important to me. 230 69.07%
Maybe. 31 9.31%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #17
Rookie

Deelron's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: No Online Franchise Additions- No $60! (Poll)

I think the poll pretty much sums it up, it's not a huge priority for a great number of people.

I enjoyed the online franchises I've tried to play, until people quit again and again and again. It's just not worth the aggravation for me personally but I can certainly see why it's a bummer for people who are in a league where people actually reliably show up.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
Banned

Jdoug312's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
People purchase Madden other than reasons for OF. If that is the case, why try to suggest buying used when that is the position you support, but not them.

Plus, you are purchasing NCAA, so, it's all going into the same company.
That means nothing to me... I'm getting MADDEN used because I'm disapppointed that they've neglected what should be a core mode for TWO years. I'm happy with NCAA and am buying it new. They (EA) definitely look at sale totals for EACH game, and not just one giant lump sum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Not to mention if you're buying Madden used, you're almost certainly tossing them another $10 for an online pass if you are buying it for this reason.
When you buy used, the company doesn't make any money off the game, the retailer does. A friend of mines works at gamestop and explained this to me when I asked him why gamestop trade-ins were always so low. He explained that retailers make hardly no money for games when they are bought new (similar to movie theaters). When bought used however, they get all of that money and the company (EA in this case) doesn't get anything, which is why they invented the online pass in the first place.

To put it into perspective, if EVERYBODY who's getting madden regardless on this site bought used instead of new, EA would've made just 1/6 of the profit it would've made had we all bought new. Everyone voting yes is helping my cause with this in mind.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #19
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

[quote=Jdoug312;2042571070]That means nothing to me... I'm getting MADDEN used because I'm disapppointed that they've neglected what should be a core mode for TWO years. I'm happy with NCAA and am buying it new. They (EA) definitely look at sale totals for EACH game, and not just one giant lump sum.

/QUOTE]

Sure, they look at things separately and they also look at it collectively. It all falls under one roof, Tibouron. Just like FIFA and NHL fall under one roof, EA Canada, and they all fall under one huge roof, EA Sports.

The investors don't care which side it comes from Madden, NCAA, FIFA or NHL. They all get paid the same.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #20
Rookie

WhiteMan22's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
I could care less about OF
I agree with this guy.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #21
Banned

Jdoug312's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
People purchase Madden other than reasons for OF. If that is the case, why try to suggest buying used when that is the position you support, but not them.

Plus, you are purchasing NCAA, so, it's all going into the same company.
[quote=roadman;2042571092]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoug312
That means nothing to me... I'm getting MADDEN used because I'm disapppointed that they've neglected what should be a core mode for TWO years. I'm happy with NCAA and am buying it new. They (EA) definitely look at sale totals for EACH game, and not just one giant lump sum.

/QUOTE]

Sure, they look at things separately and they also look at it collectively. It all falls under one roof, Tibouron. Just like FIFA and NHL fall under one roof, EA Canada, and they all fall under one huge roof, EA Sports.

The investors don't care which side it comes from Madden, NCAA, FIFA or NHL. They all get paid the same.
Not true. I guarentee you that if Tibouron make $1million more per year than they do now, but Madden gets 0 sales, they'd stop making madden games. Unrealistic example of course, but the same principle applies here, just on a much smaller scale.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #22
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

[quote=Jdoug312;2042571125]
Quote:

Not true. I guarentee you that if Tibouron make $1million more per year than they do now, but Madden gets 0 sales, they'd stop making madden games. Unrealistic example of course, but the same principle applies here, just on a much smaller scale.
Sure, your expample is correct if your going by extremes.

I'm sure Madden receives a good portion more of development dollars than NCAA. I was merely pointing out even you buy NCAA new, it's still goes under one roof, Tibouron's.

At least some of this news should make you a bit happy. The same reason your buying NCAA new, the same person who put together OF at NCAA, will be working on Madden's or at least, have supervisory functions over it.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter55
Not to justify EA for leaving online franchise totally untouched, you may want to read this blog posted by the guy who made leagueManager:

http://myleaguemanager.net/index.cfm...line-Franchise
THIS is not a substitution for a Robust online franny. Sorry. Our leagues have external websites, stat tracking, importing from the game, etc.....and we don't use League Manager. BIG DEAL that league manager is working with EA.....SO WHAT. I could care less. Add to the IN-GAME Online franny. Period. It's sad that the last great Online Franchise EA has put out was Madden PC 08.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:51 PM   #24
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoug312

When you buy used, the company doesn't make any money off the game, the retailer does. A friend of mines works at gamestop and explained this to me when I asked him why gamestop trade-ins were always so low. He explained that retailers make hardly no money for games when they are bought new (similar to movie theaters). When bought used however, they get all of that money and the company (EA in this case) doesn't get anything, which is why they invented the online pass in the first place.

To put it into perspective, if EVERYBODY who's getting madden regardless on this site bought used instead of new, EA would've made just 1/6 of the profit it would've made had we all bought new. Everyone voting yes is helping my cause with this in mind.
Paying $10 for online pass EA will get much more than 1/6. $12 goes to the console maker (MS/Sony), then there's the wholesale price (or do you think retail stores buy it for $60?) providing profit for the retailer (~$12), in the end something like $36 ends up going back to the publisher/developer [link - I am sure you can google up other articles/videos explaining a similar breakdown)].

Buying the online pass gives them nearly 30% of the revenue they'd have otherwise missed.

Gamestop reselling the same copy a number of times then potentially gives EA even more opportunities to profit with online pass and other DLC without the cost of marketing, distribution, etc factored in. Would they have been better off if you bought it from Wal-Mart? Sure, but not if you wouldn't have bought it without the option to buy used. That's instead not lost profit, but gained.

All your friend did is explain how Gamestop gets cheap inventory to sell for $5 off MSRP.

Quote:
I was merely pointing out even you buy NCAA new, it's still goes under one roof, Tibouron's.
Since they're a first party studio, probably just goes on a balance sheet somewhere and not actually back to the studio. Success then leads to expansion, promotions, more projects, etc.

Last edited by mestevo; 07-09-2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: profit != revenue

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »