Home

When will FairPlay Rules return?

This is a discussion on When will FairPlay Rules return? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 07-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0

I forget the year, but me and my buds played Tecmo Bowl on super nintendo for a while before we knew the game's ins-and-outs. To balance the game further we came up with some "House Rules" to enhance gameplay. 4th and 5 or less? do anything you like. 4th and 6 or more? PUNT formation until the 4th quarter. it was simple but made the game so much better and rewarded good defense.

we all shared laughs when Madden did the same thing in 2004 to enhance the the experience. some people thought it was too restrictive (cheesers mostly) but it made the game resemble what most of us like to see on sundays.

For some reason the best feature Tiburon ever devised hasn't made an appearance since the previous gen. Why? At some level it should return, if i want to play a sim-type game give me a lobby where some version of Fairplay rules exist. It's only right.

let's stop playing videogames and start playing football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: When will FairPlay Rules return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMstyle
I forget the year, but me and my buds played Tecmo Bowl on super nintendo for a while before we knew the game's ins-and-outs. To balance the game further we came up with some "House Rules" to enhance gameplay. 4th and 5 or less? do anything you like. 4th and 6 or more? PUNT formation until the 4th quarter. it was simple but made the game so much better and rewarded good defense.

we all shared laughs when Madden did the same thing in 2004 to enhance the the experience. some people thought it was too restrictive (cheesers mostly) but it made the game resemble what most of us like to see on sundays.

For some reason the best feature Tiburon ever devised hasn't made an appearance since the previous gen. Why? At some level it should return, if i want to play a sim-type game give me a lobby where some version of Fairplay rules exist. It's only right.

i never agreed with the game forcing you to punt. there is no rule in the nfl that says you must punt on 4th down.
if a coach has a plan and feels he can gain the yardage..then why not go for it.

i punt in punting situations, but i wouldn't want those restrictions in my game.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Pro

HeavyHitter55's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

Best statement ever right there...

But yes, I totally agree here. Adding this back into Madden would greatly negate the need for soooooo many rules you see in online franchises. And to add on top of this, making it customizable. Say instead of the default, let the user/commissioner decide on the distance and when/where. A format could look like this for an example:

Go for it on 4th: Y/N
1st situation:
When: 4th Quarter
Where: Anywhere
Behind by: 17 points
2nd situation:
When: Anytime
Where: Opponent's 40-50 yard line
Behind by: Any

Give the user options. Hasn't EA Tiburon always been about options and customization?

Who knows though: this could be something they have planned for M13...

RIP J.J.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Never, because Madden doesn't want to alienate its core audience, which is mostly kids and people who don't want to play realistic football.

This is also why they aren't ever going to take out the ability to throw off your back foot or scramble 30 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
i never agreed with the game forcing you to punt. there is no rule in the nfl that says you must punt on 4th down.
if a coach has a plan and feels he can gain the yardage..then why not go for it.

i punt in punting situations, but i wouldn't want those restrictions in my game.
i hear you bro. but i don't like the "kiddie ball" that some people try to pass off as SIM. I think online is big enough for everyone. can't we all get what we like with preferences for each? that way we can both go to Play Now and I can get the brand of football I like, and you can get that....other stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 02:18 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
i hear you bro. but i don't like the "kiddie ball" that some people try to pass off as SIM. I think online is big enough for everyone. can't we all get what we like with preferences for each? that way we can both go to Play Now and I can get the brand of football I like, and you can get that....other stuff.
don't get me wrong.. i hate to see people going for it on 4th and 17 in their own end, it's dumb, but it's their choice.
forcing them to punt places less of a sim aspect on the game. removing those decisions removes the sim aspect if you ask me.

i only play people on my friends list so i am assured a good football experience.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 AM   #7
Straight cash homie

FreAk47's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
don't get me wrong.. i hate to see people going for it on 4th and 17 in their own end, it's dumb, but it's their choice.
forcing them to punt places less of a sim aspect on the game. removing those decisions removes the sim aspect if you ask me.

i only play people on my friends list so i am assured a good football experience.
The problem lies in the fact that the people who do this...are generally going to exploit some AI problem and pick up the yardage on a cheap play, an unstoppable play.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

i dont understand why anyone ever argues against this. it would be optional...... so if you didnt want to play like that you wouldnt have to.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »