Home

The Curious Case of Mario Williams

This is a discussion on The Curious Case of Mario Williams within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #17
Dungeoneer

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: The Curious Case of Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Keeping the discussion with Madden, the problem is the way the 3-4 is implemented. No two are alike in real life, but in Madden they are all pretty much the same. The Cowboys in real life rush with Ware something like 90% of the time. In Madden that's nowhere near the case because the CPU doesn't move him from side to side or down to DE in Nickel the way the Cowboys do. In Madden he's just as likely to drop into coverage on 3rd down as he is to rush. Therefore, Mario could very well suck was a 3-4 OLB as well as any other DE you'll want to convert because the coverage ratings in zone and man around going to be so poor, and the CPU won't compensate for that by packaging them in formations to make sure they are pointed at the quarterback.
As excited as I am for Madden 12, this bit is a sobering reminder of how for Madden, and sports games in general, have yet to go to achieve many of their simulation-minded goals. I hope that specific defenses get love from EA in the scheme department in the future, as well as playcalling AI. We apparently will see it this year with regard to when a team loses a start quarterback; hopefully that's the base for further additions to that end.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #18
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Well said Senator. In real life, Williams will probably rush 90% of the time, but half the 3-4 plays in Madden will probably have him in coverage.

Now if you are playing as Mario or playing the CPU, you can create a gameplan that uses his skills. You can use the 3-4 Predator or just select 3-4 plays that have the ROLB rushing the QB.

Then I'd imagine this year's Texans teams will use some kind of 2-4-5 look for their Nickel which will basically keep Mario rushing the QB as well. I'm expecting Brooks Reed will be rushing opposite him.

I'm also gonna have to cite my thread about creating our own OVR formula:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...r-formula.html

Let's try to use Mario as an example.

(These are all fun guesses)

4-3 DE formula (numbers are percents)
AWR: 20%
SPD: 5
STR: 10
AGI: 5
ACC: 5
PWR: 12
FIN: 13
BSH: 10
TAK: 10
PUR: 5
PRC: 5
ZNE: 0
MAN: 0

Mario 4-3 DE OVR: 95 or so

4-3 OLB Formula:
SPD: 13
STR: 5
AGI: 6
ACC: 6
PWR: 0
FIN: 0
PUR: 10
PRC: 10
ZNE: 5
MAN: 5

Mario 4-3 OLB OVR: 83?

3-4 OLB Formula:
SPD: 8
STR: 8
PWR: 7
FIN: 7
ZNE: 4
MAN: 4

Mario 3-4 OLB OVR: 91 ?

So Mario's individual ratings would stay the same, but they are weighed differently at each position creating a unique OVR for each position.

Last edited by Palo20; 07-20-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:33 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Well said Senator. In real life, Williams will probably rush 90% of the time, but half the 3-4 plays in Madden will probably have him in coverage.

Now if you are playing as Mario or playing the CPU, you can create a gameplan that uses his skills. You can use the 3-4 Predator or just select 3-4 plays that have the ROLB rushing the QB.

Then I'd imagine this year's Texans teams will use some kind of 2-4-5 look for their Nickel which will basically keep Mario rushing the QB as well. I'm expecting Brooks Reed will be rushing opposite him.

I'm also gonna have to cite my thread about creating our own OVR formula:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...r-formula.html

Let's try to use Mario as an example.

(These are all fun guesses)

4-3 DE formula (numbers are percents)
SPD: 5
STR: 10
AGI: 5
ACC: 5
PWR: 12
FIN: 13
ZNE: 0
MAN: 0

Mario 4-3 DE OVR: 95 or so

4-3 OLB Formula:
SPD: 13
STR: 5
PWR: 0
FIN: 0
PUR: 10
PRC: 10
ZNE: 5
MAN: 5

Mario 4-3 OLB OVR: 83?

3-4 OLB Formula:
SPD: 8
STR: 8
PWR: 7
FIN: 7
ZNE: 4
MAN: 4

Mario 3-4 OLB OVR: 91 ?

So Mario's individual ratings would stay the same, but they are weighed differently at each position creating a unique OVR for each position.

Madden sort of does this already. Thats why guys OVR ratings change when you change their position but their individual ratings dont.

I agree it needs to be expanded to cover 4-3 vs 3-4. Even if it did this it would be a huge upgrade IMO. It would be even sweeter if it allowed individuals to rank skills to come up with their own OVRs. The only problem with that is many people dont know football enough to determine such things. There would have to be default settings for sure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »