Home

The Curious Case of Mario Williams

This is a discussion on The Curious Case of Mario Williams within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15
The Curious Case of Mario Williams

The Texans transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense means Mario Williams will move from a 4-3 end to a 3-4 outside linebacker.

In past versions of Madden, this would mean that Mario Williams would take an OVR rating hit, because his specific skill ratings would change in importance (ex: The tackle rating for an OLB becomes a far more important rating as it contributes to overall rating because there is more emphasis on tackling for an OLB than for a DE).

Does this mean Mario Williams will have a lower OVR rating? Perhaps making him easier to acquire via trade?

I hope EA has solved the issue this year with the addition of specific positions... I recall reading about how the NFL draft contains rookies that have specified positions (such as 3-4 OLB), and it would be nice if that transitions into determining OVR, so players like Williams won't take a hit and be "too easy" to acquire.

I say this for those of us that play Franchise with multiple people, some of whom tend to abuse trade logic.

What do you think? Will Super Mario take an OVR rating hit?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: The Curious Case of Mario Williams

I don't see why they would want to put him at OLB, even in a 3-4. The guy is 6'6" and almost 300 lbs. He seems to be the absolute perfect build for a 3-4 DE.

Edit: On the flipside, I would be scared ****less to be an offensive lineman and see that guy getting a running start at me. I feel like Mario is much more than just a pass rusher though. With his body and athleticism, I feel like he can be a decent gap filler for run defense as well, so I guess I'd personally still want him lined up as a defensive end because I would expect that he won't be on the field as much as in the past because there will be situations where they need their outside linebackers to be in coverage. And I know this doesn't answer your question at all, lol, I just got off on a bit of a tangent.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont

Last edited by Yeah...THAT Guy; 07-19-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I don't see why they would want to put him at OLB, even in a 3-4. The guy is 6'6" and almost 300 lbs. He seems to be the absolute perfect build for a 3-4 DE.
I think the Texans were considering it until they drafted J.J. Watt. They probably view Williams as being versatile enough.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 6

Mario has dropped weight...he will probably play between 270-280 range, wont know for sure until camp starts. Also, the Texans will be playing a Hybrid 3-4, It will more like a 5-2 much of the time, with Mario on one side, Conner Barwin and Brooks Reed on the other at OLB. Demeco Ryans and Brian Cushing would be the Middle LBs. I hope they add the 5-2 to Madden.

BTW...some players wont take a hit if you move them, some will actually go up.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Green Bay tried that with Aaron Kampman...didn't go so well.

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremedunkz
Green Bay tried that with Aaron Kampman...didn't go so well.
Kampman is NO Mario Williams. Think DeMarcus Ware.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface
Kampman is NO Mario Williams. Think DeMarcus Ware.
Williams is no DeMarcus Ware though. They're both pass rushers, but Ware was a linebacker in college and is much faster and much lighter. Williams came into the league as a defensive end and had about 50 lbs on Ware. It's a completely different scenario. Having said that though, Wade Phillips is a phenominal defensive coordinator and I have a lot of confidence in him to do the right thing with Mario.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Rookie

Jays20593's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
Because the Texans are dumb and are going to do all this crazy stuff to take down Peyton and still lose.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »