Home

Gates vs Witten

This is a discussion on Gates vs Witten within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Gates vs Witten

Actually if you go here:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/...sortby=tottarg

You'd see that Witten had a 73.4% catch rate compared to Gates 76.9%.

That is also interesting because Gates averaged 15.6 yards per reception compared to Witten's 10.7. Deeper routes yet Gates caught a higher percentage of passes.

So technically, Gates had better hands last year.

In 2009, Witten had a higher catch rate with a smaller difference in yards per reception so Witten was probably more efficient in 2009.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #74

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

I would break it down like this. If I wanted a TE on my team... Who would I go for first? Antonio Gates, hands down.

Now... if he were not available? I'd be happy getting Dallas Clark, Jason Witten, Jermichael Finley, or Vernon Davis.

I have the tier 1 for TE as solely Gates. Proven track record. Athletic freak.

Tier 2: Clark, Witten, Finley, Davis.

So yes, Antonio Gates is better than Jason Witten. Not that I'd complain about getting Witten - he is a great TE. Top 5 easily.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #75
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Not sure how you could use those raw numbers to determine anything. Stats don't equal talent/ability.

That being said, I don't care. Gates makes plays Witten is simply incapable of. There's not much more than need to be said.
Kind of commenting on his comment too, but you also need to take into account WHO they made those stats against, sometimes the numbers STILL lie, if you're not factoring in the talent on the other side of the field, it's not very hard to go 1000 yards a season against a few poor defenses. And in all honesty, I think that SD had a harder schedule.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #76
Pro

SuperNoVa27's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybologna
Witten gets my vote. I think just because Gates is more athletic people wanna give him the edge. That's not the case. Look at the numbers. Witten doesn't get as many TD's but they don't go to him as much as Gates in the red zone.

Witten has the best hands. I don't get where some of you say otherwise. Witten doesn't drop balls. Gates is faster but Witten is the better route runner. Witten is the better blocker as well. Look at Witten's numbers through 7 full seasons in the NFL. He's been in the league for 8 years but didn't play much his rookie season.

Witten is on pace to become the all-time leading TE in catches. Tony Gonzalez has stated hands down that Witten is the best TE in the game. Vernon Davis of the 49'ers has stated Witten is the best TE in the league.

It's good that we all have our own opinions about this though. It could be debated all day long. I like to see comments from other players in the NFL to show real opinions. We're just everyday Joe's expressing an opinion. You get players like a Gonzalez & Davis stating something coming from fellow players at the position then you have some backing. Witten all the way!
What if Tom Brady said Jamarcus Russel was the best Quarter Back to ever be drafted?

Would you believe him?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 AM   #77

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

As an addendum to the Witten people in this thread.

Do you think that Tony Romo going down led to Witten's big season?
Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 AM   #78
Rookie

OVR: 0

I forgot how many times the announcer said "how does he get so open!" when referring to gates and that was without Jackson and sometimes without Floyd. The cowboys had multiple receiving threats in Austin, Williams, and Dez.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »