Home

Most (If Not All) Team Ratings Will Be Irrelevant

This is a discussion on Most (If Not All) Team Ratings Will Be Irrelevant within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Rookie

brettmickey's Arena

OVR: 0
Most (If Not All) Team Ratings Will Be Irrelevant

All of these team ratings announcements are cool and keep us coming back for more but these ratings won't be correct once the rosters are updated after the free agency period ends. Whoever gets Nnamdi will definitely get a team overall boost and you know a team like the Redskins will find a way to spend on free agents like every year and their overall will go up. Also, teams that lose players in free agency will drop in overall. It will be interesting to see what the actual team ratings are once the rosters are finally settled out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
They always are.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Rookie

brettmickey's Arena

Re: Most (If Not All) Team Ratings Will Be Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
They always are.
Yeah I wasn't talking about how meaningful the team rating is to gameplay it was more along the lines of the numbers being blatantly incorrect by the end of free agency. But you are correct team overall doesn't dictate how well the team actually plays all the time and that will also be more true with the addition of DPP
Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

When you are playing against the CPU all team ratings are irrelevant. It comes to a point where we as human being's surpass the knowledge of the AI and are thus able to beat them with mediocre teams on the hardest difficulty. The Brain is a super computer in itself, it learns from each experience and eventually corrects mistakes. I Remeber playing madden 2004 And beating the Oakland Raiders with some team from NFL europe on All Madden. I was able to do that because after hours upon hours of playing you basically know how the AI thinks. this is the same for practically all of the maddens. You can use all the sliders you want fact of the matter is after a while you will become accustomed to the highest difficulty level with the hardest sliders and despite making the game as difficult as possible you will still win.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
Rookie

Slayer82186's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopydude
When you are playing against the CPU all team ratings are irrelevant. It comes to a point where we as human being's surpass the knowledge of the AI and are thus able to beat them with mediocre teams on the hardest difficulty. The Brain is a super computer in itself, it learns from each experience and eventually corrects mistakes. I Remeber playing madden 2004 And beating the Oakland Raiders with some team from NFL europe on All Madden. I was able to do that because after hours upon hours of playing you basically know how the AI thinks. this is the same for practically all of the maddens. You can use all the sliders you want fact of the matter is after a while you will become accustomed to the highest difficulty level with the hardest sliders and despite making the game as difficult as possible you will still win.
That is one of the main reasons why I enjoy coach mode
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopydude
I get around this problem by setting house rules for myself. If there's a certain play or a certain way of doing things that gives me a consistently unfair advantage over the AI, I outlaw it. I remember in Madden 07 it was long out routes in man coverage - first down every time, so I stopped using that play. I justify it as being realistic, since in real life the opposing coach would recognize that the play is killing them and would adjust to shut it down. Obviously it's not a perfect solution, but it's better than the alternative (at least it is to me).

On topic: Yes, the current team ratings are somewhat irrelevant, but they are still useful in some ways:
1) They still give a general idea of the what the team rating is going to be.
2) We can compare these ratings to the ones we have with the full rosters and see how each team has improved or regressed after free agency.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Rookie

brettmickey's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
I get around this problem by setting house rules for myself. If there's a certain play or a certain way of doing things that gives me a consistently unfair advantage over the AI, I outlaw it. I remember in Madden 07 it was long out routes in man coverage - first down every time, so I stopped using that play. I justify it as being realistic, since in real life the opposing coach would recognize that the play is killing them and would adjust to shut it down. Obviously it's not a perfect solution, but it's better than the alternative (at least it is to me).

On topic: Yes, the current team ratings are somewhat irrelevant, but they are still useful in some ways:
1) They still give a general idea of the what the team rating is going to be.
2) We can compare these ratings to the ones we have with the full rosters and see how each team has improved or regressed after free agency.
This is true it does give us a baseline on how well teams did in free agency
Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmickey
This is true it does give us a baseline on how well teams did in free agency
Hardly. In Madden terms, maybe.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »