Home

3-4, and 4-3 Prototypes?

This is a discussion on 3-4, and 4-3 Prototypes? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 23
3-4, and 4-3 Prototypes?

Hey guys.

Just wondering if anyone has a link or somewhere they could direct me to find this info.

I'm currently in two online franchise for the upcoming Madden 12... I have a 3-4 team in one, and a 4-3 team in the other... So, I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a site or source that has the basic "prototypes" for each position I need...

I know the basics, 4-3 DE, should be Pass rushers, while the DT takes up 2 OLineman to free up the MLB... 3-4, all three DLineman are run stoppers, and the pass rush comes from the OLB's...

I want to did deeper though, so, I just have a Couple questions:

- What type of DE should I have on the LE vs the RE?
- What type of CB should I have in 3-4 vs 4-3?
- What speed rating would you look for in a 4-3 DE? Nothing below 80?
- What about the size of the DE or DT? Can you have a 6'2' 250, 3-4 DE??? Or, does he have to be a 300lb monster...

And lastly, the most important question, does Madden even factor into the equation whether or not a player fits a specific scheme? Meaning, can I just throw any 90 ovr DE in there in a 3-4 scheme? ie- Dwight Freeney? Or, will I notice a difference in a 3-4 if I don't have a real 3-4 DE in there???

Thanks for any tips... Its much appreciated.

psn - CeeGee
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: 3-4, and 4-3 Prototypes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalligan
And lastly, the most important question, does Madden even factor into the equation whether or not a player fits a specific scheme? Meaning, can I just throw any 90 ovr DE in there in a 3-4 scheme? ie- Dwight Freeney? Or, will I notice a difference in a 3-4 if I don't have a real 3-4 DE in there???
I don't think it really matters. It hasn't in past years in NCAA or Madden. Granted I didn't buy Madden 11. Even though.. I have found a Dwight Freeney/Mario Williams is a force to be feared as a 3-4 DE.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

As for the undersized DE question, Elvis Dumervil is 5'11" 248lbs, played DE in a 4-3 but was moved to OLB when the Broncos switched to a 3-4. Maybe a Broncos fan could confirm but I believe the Broncos are going back to a 4-3 and Dumervil is going back to the defensive line.

Meanwhile, the Texans are switching back to a 3-4 and long-time 4-3 DE, Mario Williams, will be converted to an OLB. Interesting because Williams is huge (6'6" 295lbs), a size not unlike the prototypical 3-4 DE (Richard Seymour is 6'6" 310lbs, in comparison) and much bigger than the top 3-4 OLB (DeMarcus Ware is 6'4" 262lbs). Go figure. But, of course, mere size is not everything so maybe the Texans coaching staff think Williams' skillset makes him a better 3-4 LB than 3-4 DE.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
MVP

Thanks guys

I did a google search, and, what do you know... I found this...

Bill Gave the prototypical charts for players.
Defense Height Weight Speed Hand Arm
Defensive End 6 4.3 279 4.82 9.7 33
34 DE 6 4.2 291 4.93 10 32.7
Crash/Rush End 6 3.5 266 4.7 9.6 33.1
DT 6 3 302 4.98 9.7 33
34 OLB 6 3.3 256 4.65 9.6 33.1
34 ILB 6 1.5 240 4.71 9.5 32.1
34 NT 6 2.2 316 5.07 10 32.5
Linebacker 6 1. 2 239 4.69 9.4 31.6
Sam LB 6 2.3 243 4.65 9.5 32.4
CB 5 11.2 193 4.47 9 31.1
SS 6 0.2 207 4.51 9.2 31.4
FS 6 0.1 204 4.52 9.2 31.4

Sorry for the format, I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post the link...

psn - CeeGee
Old 08-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
MVP

I've read the term "Rush End" a few places. Again I'm asking this as it pertains to Madden football. Does it matter which DE is your main pass rusher? LE or RE?

Thanks again.

psn - CeeGee
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

it dose not matter which side you have a rush end in madden. in real life they like rush ends on the right side because a right handed quarterback wouldn't be able to see him coming. which is also why they put the best line men on the left side the blind side of a quarterback (that is right handed.)i hope that's not confusing.

but to answer your question it is better to put your rush end on the left side (le) because they would be facing the weaker tackle on the offensive line.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

The short answer is that in Madden, it doesn't really Matter. Maybe it will in Madden 12 but I highly doubt it.

In Madden terms, what you are looking for is Block shedding to try and stuff the run. For pass rushing, you are looking for Finesse Moves. At least in my experience, Power Move animations rarely play out.

I honestly think this is intentional by EA. I think that if the game worked like they claim it does [that the defender will choose power or finesse moves based on which rating is higher], then 3-4 DEs would get a lot more pressure that people would be happy with. After all, 3-4 DEs in Madden 11 often have three high ratings: Block Shedding, Power Moves and Tackle. On the other hand, 4-3 DEs in Madden tend to have high speed and finesse moves with low tackle and block shedding ratings.

Now, talking about Corner backs: Obviously I am oversimplifying it, but when you run the 3-4, you are likely going to use a lot of zone blitz schemes. That means you will likely want CBs with a high Zone Coverage rating. However, when you play the 4-3, you will likely run more man and man press. In this case you will likely want corners with a higher press and man coverage rating. A great example of this is what the Eagles are doing right now. Asante Is a Zone Coverage expert from his days in New England [who ran the 3-4.] Now they have gone out and acquired DRC and Nnamdi who are known to be great physical bump & run/man coverage corners who are also a better fit for their Defense. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they try and trade Asante for value... or if they keep him for one "super" season and then trade him.

So, while Madden 12 may be different, I doubt it. This is honestly some of the best advice I could give you based on my own experience playing Madden over the years.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

It really all comes down to the fact that weight doesn't matter. In a 3-4, you need a strong, big nose tackle that demands double teaming. In Madden, a double team isn't really a naturally occurring event; they're often scripted into the play. That is to say, an O-Line isn't going to double team a nose tackle unless the play called specifically has a double team block scripted. You can put linebacker at NT, and you're not really going to see a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysouljah
As for the undersized DE question, Elvis Dumervil is 5'11" 248lbs, played DE in a 4-3 but was moved to OLB when the Broncos switched to a 3-4. Maybe a Broncos fan could confirm but I believe the Broncos are going back to a 4-3 and Dumervil is going back to the defensive line.
Correct. Both Dumervil and Robert Ayers have moved from outside linebacker to DE.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »