Home

Field getting torn up

This is a discussion on Field getting torn up within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Field getting torn up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
On this issue... Specifically I'll talk about why field degradation is lower on the horizon than other issues:

Degradation on SNES is a FAR CRY from degradation on a PS3. Remembering each blade of grass is different than turning a square patch a slightly lesser green. If modern Madden were to approach degradation in the same manner as the SNES, footsteps would degrade large areas of the field and it would look REALLY stupid.

Think of it this way... Have you ever played a 1st person shooting game where the dead bodies don't disappear? Nope. Even though it would seem a dead guy wouldn't take much to stick around in gaming they tax the system. From that perspective, it's only GRASS. If a body disappearing doesn't bother you, don't let grass disappearing bother you either.

Later

This is not a first person shooter game, it's NFL football. And it's been done before.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

agree i dont buy ncaa much but this needed

and wasnt field torn up on one of the madden on xbox wasnt the best but was a start why did they ever take it out or when it rain you had like a mud whole

this stuff wasnt perfect on the xbox but was a start but everyone has there own opioion

o well nothing we can do beside ask why its not in the game
Old 08-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
On this issue... Specifically I'll talk about why field degradation is lower on the horizon than other issues:

Degradation on SNES is a FAR CRY from degradation on a PS3. Remembering each blade of grass is different than turning a square patch a slightly lesser green. If modern Madden were to approach degradation in the same manner as the SNES, footsteps would degrade large areas of the field and it would look REALLY stupid.

Think of it this way... Have you ever played a 1st person shooting game where the dead bodies don't disappear? Nope. Even though it would seem a dead guy wouldn't take much to stick around in gaming they tax the system. From that perspective, it's only GRASS. If a body disappearing doesn't bother you, don't let grass disappearing bother you either.

Later

hey folks lets face it...we all have differnt priorities. What's a big deal to some are immaterial to others. You want field degradation i want Tony Bruno and newspaper articles and highlight shows (ducks as groaning crowd hurls rotten tomatoes).

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 8

I can see from the OP responses that there's no legitimate interest in discussion here, just another typical "If you disagree with me, you're stupid" type slant to this topic. Nothing more from me in this one.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
Pro

MMurda's Arena

OVR: 5

funny thing is in ncaa12 the field degradation is one of things that actually does work and was improved since last yr. it isnt overdone either. as the game goes on its more torn up especially on grass. its not super detailed to know exactly where a collision or cut was made, but it gets the point across that a football game is taking place on the field.
----------------------
Madden Since '92
Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 13

^
If that's true then this may end up in Madden before too long.. they can just port over to code from NCAA, no?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedpan_Gamer
This is not a first person shooter game, it's NFL football. And it's been done before.
Don't get me wrong... Field degradation is a detail I have appreciated in older editions of Madden. Lately I've been going back to play the old games to give me a better historical perspective and have noticed dozens of great details and features that were once in the game, but aren't anymore. Some I miss alot, some are minor details.

I like Madden purely for the X's and O's and the competition. Others like it for completely different reasons. Some I openly admit I don't understand. Grass and field degradation, while low on my personal list of priorities will be noticed. I like to think more about the things that will matter to me most after playing my 300th game. For me the grass isn't that big a deal in the overall scheme of things.

To some people the visual details really matter. Me too, in the beginning. I'll be looking for all the new details added for my first 10-20 games, then I'll concern myself with the game play details.

Hopefully Madden makes this a moot point.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #16
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Field degradation is always over done. How often do you see a pristine field torn up and brown by the end of the game under sunny skies. Most of the time you can't even tell much degradation IRL and that's the way it should be with how well up kept today's fields are. I have seen a few videos of Madden and to me it is almost perfect.

Just watch the last quarter of this game, you can see that there is field and uniform degradation it just isn't overdone and this is the way it should be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjdQ5...layer_embedded

Last edited by JayD; 08-04-2011 at 09:26 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »