Home

Team Ratings

This is a discussion on Team Ratings within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18
Team Ratings

First off, since we're on OS I want to explain myself before I begin. I am in no way attacking Donny Moore. I think the guy is saddled with the incredibly tough task of assigning numbers to roughly 1700 human beings to define their athletic and mental abilities. I myself cannot imagine the amount of work and thought that must go into that. This is also the reason that I will not be devoting much (if any) time to editing player ratings. It's too much work for me to go through all of those players and re-define their attributes.

That being said, my thought is that since the task itself is so unbelievably daunting, why doesn't EA assign a team of "ratings experts" to this process. This would create more of a community effort at making the players behave more like their real life counterparts. It would most likely lead to the stretching of players ratings and a new overall philosophy towards assigning those numbers improving on the final product. One man simply cannot do a job as well as a group can working together towards the same goal.

I think with Donny's extensive experience would lend itself well to leading a group such as this one and could potentially make the game play much better. I know DPP should help immensely in this regard if all goes as planned, but without a better ratings system it can only do so much. Just my .02
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 13
re: Team Ratings

Wait.. forgive my ignorance, but he doesn't have a team already?

If that's true then there should certainly be a team if for no other reason than one person alone can't possibly expect to be completely unbiased and accurate when giving ratings to that many players, especially when most ratings are very subjective.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

totally agree with the OP, there should be a team of ratings people if there aren't already. one per team in my opinion.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

With all due respect. Single individuals (redundant, I know) create ratings for the entire league, every year, just as a hobby. I, myself, have done a complete NFL wide re rating on NFL 2K5. It was a nightmare, and I will probably never do it again, but then, I don't get paid for it either.

I understand the spirit of your post, but from a practical standpoint, I don't think that it can be justified that they need a ratings team, when plenty of passionate fans do similar tasks, all by themselves, for free.

I'm all for EA spending more money on the game, but I have a feeling this would be a tough sell.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
With all due respect. Single individuals (redundant, I know) create ratings for the entire league, every year, just as a hobby. I, myself, have done a complete NFL wide re rating on NFL 2K5. It was a nightmare, and I will probably never do it again, but then, I don't get paid for it either.

I understand the spirit of your post, but from a practical standpoint, I don't think that it can be justified that they need a ratings team, when plenty of passionate fans do similar tasks, all by themselves, for free.

I'm all for EA spending more money on the game, but I have a feeling this would be a tough sell.

All they really need to do then is have, say , 5 people do league wide ratings (as you said you've done it so obviously someone else who is getting paid to do it can do it) and just average out the 5 peoples ratings to make the Madden ratings. Easy enough right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I disagree OP. I don't believe a team is required for deciding ratings but instead the just need a universal scale for converting real life accurate data into EA football games. Speed is speed, no matter if the player is a QB,DB or LB and a 4.23 40 is a 4.23 40.

This guy has the right idea, imo. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ange-game.html

EA might need a small team to agree on the best universal scale but not for subjectively decided ratings. Ratings should be the easiest but very essential foundation element for Madden to be a solid NFL simulation. All the data is right there at their disposal, they just have to scale it for balanced conversion into their games.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 36

I like all of the ideas in this thread. I have never had a serious issue with ratings but would ultimately prefer it to be a scale that applies to all positions for fairness. The ego needs to be taken out of it from the players perspective for it to ever work.

Take TJ Houshmanzadeh for example. He NEVER deserved to be a 90+, but he complained about it and therefore was rewarded, only to prove in time the original rating was more correct. Players need brutally honest ratings, even if it angers some fans. We all want to believe every player in the league is great...Some are, some aren't. It's finding the balance in specific attributes that matters, but as it stands people seem to prefer just looking at OVRs. If I knew ratings were done unbiased, even and "standard" for all players, I'd have no issue seeing who I believe will make Pro Bowl only at a 78 OVR, if that are what his attributes say.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I disagree OP. I don't believe a team is required for deciding ratings but instead the just need a universal scale for converting real life accurate data into EA football games. Speed is speed, no matter if the player is a QB,DB or LB and a 4.23 40 is a 4.23 40.

This guy has the right idea, imo. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ange-game.html

EA might need a small team to agree on the best universal scale but not for subjectively decided ratings. Ratings should be the easiest but very essential foundation element for Madden to be a solid NFL simulation. All the data is right there at their disposal, they just have to scale it for balanced conversion into their games.

I agree with this partially.

Things like speed should be a fairly easy to make accurate across the board, but other ratings are more subjective. Like catching for instance.

Just like it's an inexact science to evaluate a player for drafting in real life, it is, likewise, inexact for getting all the ratings accurate in the game. I do agree that it would be better if they did something like what is outlined in the thread that you linked, but that isn't fool proof either.

Overall though, I agree.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »