Home

The Effect of a Looming Competitor On Madden 12 and Beyond

This is a discussion on The Effect of a Looming Competitor On Madden 12 and Beyond within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The Effect of a Looming Competitor On Madden 12 and Beyond

I wanted to point out something that I think most people have not thought about. Since 2005, we've been able to blame Madden's refusal to innovate and advance in creating a special football gaming experience on the fact that they had no competition. Well, in a couple of years, there will be competition once again, and Madden has to ensure that it has a faithful fan base that will continue to buy their product even when there is another option. They can't just wait until that happens; they have to start before the competition begins its campaign. Therefore, I would expect the jump that Madden seems to have taken this year(presentation, DPP) to be repeated over the next three years, so that they don't have an empty ship when another game comes on the market. IF, and that's a big if, it is true what has been said about the lack of competition being the cause of Madden's apparent refusal to create the game we want, that excuse is no longer. Expect big things from Madden in the coming years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 3
Well, real quick, EA will probably just buy the license again especially if, as the shills say,the NFL wants exclusivity.

But on the other hand, I think most of the people here don't realize why some of us complain about the exclusive deal with EA/Madden/NFL. Let me speak for myself now.

The reason I blame the "decline" in madden on the exclusive deal is because I truly believe EA can make great games. Heck I've seen it. I've seen the strides NHL,FIFA,MVP,NBA Live even made over the years. Meanwhile Madden 11 is basically the same as Madden 05. I believe in EA to hire good developers,designers, and thinkers. Why wouldn't they?

So the only thing left to really blame it on is complacency caused by lack of competition that came with purchasing an NFL exclusive license.

What else can you blame it on?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: The Effect of a Looming Competitor On Madden 12 and Beyond

With Cam Weber as the GM of EA Football games, Roy Harvey as the exec producer coming over from NCAA where he was the exec producer, and Mike Young being named the Creative Director( he's a presentation beast), I would expect Madden to continue this direction and 2-3 years from now I honestly believe that Madden will be THE sports game that other sports games try to follow. The team they have assembled has a proven track record and it's only going to get better each year from now on.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 6

Wow really. U sure the nfl won't just re up like they did next year? Im pretty sure they will. The nfl wants an exclusive license. There is NO nfl video game competition looming. It will be just madden for a long time.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

OP, from your post to God's ear! LOL

Seriously though, I try to be a reasonable and rational person but at the end of the day, I think my sig is right on. If the main reason for Madden making drastic simulation strides turned out to be that competition is coming in the near future, I would feel like I should never buy another EA game again, no matter how good it is. Because that would mean, they could have produced a great NFL simulation all along but made a business decision not to.

If that were true, I would rather spend years playing any competitors inferior NFL simulation game than playing the best NFL simulation if produced by EA. That's not blind "hate", that's just a reasonable and rational decision not to promote business practices that I don't agree with.

I would rather it be true that the cost of the exclusive license caused limited resources or the engine just can't handle to much improvement, anything other than just blatantly admitting "we could of done better before now but why bother without direct competition".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
OP, from your post to God's ear! LOL

Seriously though, I try to be a reasonable and rational person but at the end of the day, I think my sig is right on. If the main reason for Madden making drastic simulation strides turned out to be that competition is coming in the near future, I would feel like I should never buy another EA game again, no matter how good it is. Because that would mean, they could have produced a great NFL simulation all along but made a business decision not to.

If that were true, I would rather spend years playing any competitors inferior NFL simulation game than playing the best NFL simulation if produced by EA. That's not blind "hate", that's just a reasonable and rational decision not to promote business practices that I don't agree with.

I would rather it be true that the cost of the exclusive license caused limited resources or the engine just can't handle to much improvement, anything other than just blatantly admitting "we could of done better before now but why bother without direct competition".
The more realistic explanation would be the development team they have in place now and deciding to go the direction of sim football and not trying to appeal to the casual fanbase as a whole so much. I honestly don't think the current development team is concerned or even cares if competition returns one day. I think they are just focused on making the changes and improvements to make Madden the most realistic football game possible.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 0

does it really matter what may or may not happen in 3yrs....really guys come on.....
Old 08-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Even then, it's going to take any competitor a few years to get a game up, unless you think there are games being developed right now without the promise of an NFL license, and therefore, release.

From everything they said, the 06/07/08 games being on such an accelerated cycle (three games released in about 2 years) really put them behind, and the gearing of those games towards tournament players (especially 08) put them even further behind. 09 was a slight correction. 10 was the first full game under a new direction, 11 built on that, and 12 seems to be the first one the team really can be proud of. I expect there to be slight improvements for 13, with another good leap for 14. Of course, if new consoles come out before then, all bets are off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »