Home

Field getting torn up

This is a discussion on Field getting torn up within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Field getting torn up

I just bought NCAA 12. Disappointed is an understatement in this area. So, so bad. I thought that we would potentially see a field that got more torn up and when grass kicks up, it would remain--residual throughout the course of a game like in real NFL football.

This would happen on the old SNES system and on Nintendo 64. I feel it's reasonable to have this at this point. Sure enough, pop in NCAA, see all kinds of grass torn up on every play/replay.... and seconds later it vanishes into thin air. Field is mostly in perfect condition then seemingly it is more brown at the start of the 4th quarter. Awful.

Since NCAA beats Madden to the punch on just about everything and anything I assume madden will be the same. Are we ever allowed to expect this type of technology? I suppose if it ever happens, we'll know it right away because it will be marketed as a HUGE selling point!

Just remember, "If it's in the game, it's in the game".... except on sunday's the grass that gets torn up doesn't disappear after a few seconds each play. It remains there the whole game as a backdrop of the game that is going on.

Let me guess... I'm being too critical.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Field getting torn up

It would be a nice thing to have but as far as priorities go it's way, way down the list for me.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 13

I think the way to do this properly would be to divide the field up into a giant grid, and keep track of how often each grid is stepped on by players. Then, depending on the weather conditions each grid will degrade a certain amount each time someone steps on it. The game would have to keep track of the degradation information for every part of the grid for the entire game.

Sounds like a lot of coding work, which might explain why it's not in the game yet if that ends up being the case.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Banned

How does this get into Madden games on the SNES and Genesis but not on the PS3 though?

For those who say "it's way down on the list" why is that? They're not doing these other things we're screaming about either
Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedpan_Gamer
How does this get into Madden games on the SNES and Genesis but not on the PS3 though?

For those who say "it's way down on the list" why is that? They're not doing these other things we're screaming about either
For starters, I think you glorified what you read when you heard about field degradation. Secondly, it's "way down on the list" because I want game play factors fixed first. Fix passing first, amongst other issues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Rookie

GGEden's Arena

OVR: 11

It shouldn't be a matter of EA fixing one or two things at a time each gradual year. People have been beaten down by past disappointments and shrugging their shoulders in contentment that that is okay. Compare the leap from NBA 2K10 to 11 to 12.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 8

On this issue... Specifically I'll talk about why field degradation is lower on the horizon than other issues:

Degradation on SNES is a FAR CRY from degradation on a PS3. Remembering each blade of grass is different than turning a square patch a slightly lesser green. If modern Madden were to approach degradation in the same manner as the SNES, footsteps would degrade large areas of the field and it would look REALLY stupid.

Think of it this way... Have you ever played a 1st person shooting game where the dead bodies don't disappear? Nope. Even though it would seem a dead guy wouldn't take much to stick around in gaming they tax the system. From that perspective, it's only GRASS. If a body disappearing doesn't bother you, don't let grass disappearing bother you either.

Later
Old 08-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
On this issue... Specifically I'll talk about why field degradation is lower on the horizon than other issues:

Degradation on SNES is a FAR CRY from degradation on a PS3. Remembering each blade of grass is different than turning a square patch a slightly lesser green. If modern Madden were to approach degradation in the same manner as the SNES, footsteps would degrade large areas of the field and it would look REALLY stupid.

Think of it this way... Have you ever played a 1st person shooting game where the dead bodies don't disappear? Nope. Even though it would seem a dead guy wouldn't take much to stick around in gaming they tax the system. From that perspective, it's only GRASS. If a body disappearing doesn't bother you, don't let grass disappearing bother you either.

Later
In the old generation systems it wasn't changing colors that made field degradation great.

It was bruises and potholes and spots where turf was ripped up earlier on in the game, and it remained that way for the entire game. Absolutely awesome. It was typically spots that corresponded with huge collisions that took place in the game as well.... they weren't just out of the blue spots. If you played the whole game on one side of the field that was the area of the field that was torn up. The logic was very good.

I haven't seen anything close to it on the new generation systems. I assume it takes too much time, so it's been deemed impossible. But if they want to do it right, this is how it needs done.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »