Home

Madden NFL 12 Preview Hands On from Gamepro

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Preview Hands On from Gamepro within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Madden NFL 12 Preview Hands On from Gamepro

Why Hasn't Madden Looked Like a Real NFL Broadcast Until Now?

The Madden NFL developers talk about getting to the point they're at today, and the changes that are coming to Madden NFL 12. Also: Ragdolls, Ragnar and Treadmill Dads.

Let's face facts: many Madden customers probably aren't too concerned about whether or not the zone defense plays realistically or players get "sucked" into animations (though both of those are issues). The 40-year-old dad with two kids who plays Madden on the treadmill just wants to play at least something resembling an authentic NFL game as they steer the team of their choice to the Super Bowl. And after years of waiting, Tiburon appears ready to make that leap. Up until recently, Madden games looked nothing like an actual network broadcast. The score ticker was on the bottom, for one thing, where in reality it tends to be up top. Between plays, there were shots of the huddle, but they were at odd angles compared to the real thing. In that, as in many other things, Madden NFL is comparatively behind the times. Just look at NBA 2K11 and the MLB: The Show series, both of which are carefully crafted to resemble real broadcasts.

So what took Tiburon so long to get in the act? When I posed that question to executive producer Phil Frazier, he told me that a lot of it had to do with the engine simply not having the right systems in place. In a glimpse at the sort of incremental improvements that seem to be endemic to the annual sports game genre, Frazier noted that older games in the series only had four camera systems, and no sciptables. Madden 10​ was the first in the series to introduce the idea of simple cutscenes, such as having players step off the bus before a game. In Madden 11​, they began stitching those scenes together.
"Programmers hated us for the Obama sequence," Frazier laughed, referring to the "White House visit" that caps off a Super Bowl victory.
For Madden 12, Tiburon is finally going all in on making their game look like a real broadcast. The team has brought in experts from NFL Films and CBS; the virtual cameras are positioned in the spots where they would actually be in the stadium; and yes, the score graphic is now "going up top" (as Gus Johnson would put it). Tiburon had team members sit in the production trucks during actual games, and Frazier even pulled out some actual CBS production notes show me the demo.
To simulate on-field closeups, they actually had one of the NFL Films operators shoot a virtual game in the motion capture studios. In one video I saw, he's walking through the studio, then suddenly darts forward. As it turns out, he's focusing on one particular virtual player after a play, which he can see inside his camera.

The effect all of this has on the presentation is tremendous. The cameras are suddenly in all the right places, there are shots of the stadium exteriors, and realistic broadcast graphics complete with custom audio that break down the strengths and weaknesses of offensive and defensive units. And taking a page from sister franchise NCAA Football, Madden 12 will have unique pre-game introductions for every team. On a personal note though, I was a little heartbroken to hear that Minnesota Vikings​ mascot, and beloved crazy person, "Ragnar" won't be riding out on his trademark motorcycle.
"He turned us down," Frazier told me. "I guess it's an image thing for him. If you want him in the game though, you should tell him!"
So, if by some miracle you're reading this Ragnar, please change your mind. Vikings fans need you.

Nuts, Bolts and Ragdolls

Important as the presentation is though, there are plenty of fans who are just as concerned with the game's (often shaky) nuts and bolts. As usual, the team will be tuning up the engine to fix many of the biggest complaints from the previous year, such as the porous zone defense. As with the upcoming NCAA Football 12, the AI will now be aware of teammates as well as opponents, meaning that they will position themselves more intelligently on the field.
Even more importantly, the traditional motion capture mechanics has been modified with new physics elements based on force and trajectory, meaning that a tackle animation won't kick in unless one player makes physical contact with another. That should alleviate that previous games had with players getting "sucked in" to tackles and blocks, which in turn will make it easier for defensive lines to get sacks. But why not go "full ragdoll?"

"We're working toward a true ragdoll system," Frazier told me. "The problem is that it just doesn't look realistic enough yet. Look at Force Unleashed: you pick up an enemy, and what does he look like? A ragdoll."
He continued, "We'll integrate it into Madden when it looks perfect. Right now, we're chipping away at one problem at a time."
But while there will be no ragdoll animation, Tiburon is granting one long-held fan request and adding in custom playbooks. Finally, after years of picking the best available playbook and just living with it, it will be possible cherry pick the best plays to put together plays that best suit your particular style.
Admittedly, the interface is a bit overwhelming at moment. Pick the "create playbook" option, and you will be confronted with a couple drop-down menus -- one listing every single formation in the game, and the other featuring the set of plays available in that formation. For people who can't tell Strong Close from Trips Right, it'll be utterly bewildering.

For nerds like myself, though? I was a kid in the proverbial candy store, grabbing up all sorts of nifty looking plays as I built up my "perfect" playbook. All I ask of the Madden devs is that they include some sort of "preview playbook" feature so that I can see what it might look like in-game. Make the interface nice and friendly, and who knows, maybe even the Treadmill Dads will stick around long enough to have a look.
Putting it all Together?

Having played roughly 300 hours of Madden 11​ (yes, that's a real number), I feel like I have some insight into its flaws. I've been particularly harsh on that game's presentation, which I feel has little to no correlation with an actual football game. And, of course, there's all the little niggling problems that become apparent with time, like players getting sucked into blocks and tackles.

Having spent so much time with Madden 11, I'm probably more dazzled than most by the changes that Tiburon has made. But I think that even the Treadmill Dads will be able to recognize that the presentation looks a hell of lot better than it ever has before, which is a big part of a successful sports game these days (and hey, dirty uniforms are back!) And I really do think that finally having custom playbooks will be a boon for the diehards out there.
More importantly though, it just feels better to play now. It feels heavier, weightier, like I'm controlling real people rather than virtual avatars. For once, I don't feel like I'm playing a videogame. I can convince myself that maybe, just maybe, I'm watching a real NFL broadcast.
And, for once, that's something that ought to make everyone happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
Pro

PRAY IV M3RCY's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Madden NFL 12 Preview Hands On from Gamepro

Honestly if they didnt have the necessary technology in place to give us a better broadcast system..y did they secure the espn license..idk..ea may be the richest when it comes to sports gaming..but i found it hard to believe that they are capable of creating the best football game no matter how much of a profit they make out of it
Old 08-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
like I'm controlling real people rather than virtual avatars. For once, I don't feel like I'm playing a videogame. I can convince myself that maybe, just maybe, I'm watching a real NFL broadcast.
And, for once, that's something that ought to make everyone happy.

It sure makes me happy!!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Treadmill dads? Really?
Old 08-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
Treadmill dads? Really?
Working on a hangover this just made me laugh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
Rookie

So Cal's Arena

OVR: 8

When it comes to the engine they are using can someone explain to me why they couldnt use one like the frostbite 2 engine? Im not as informed on things like that, but when I see that EA as a company is using it in Need for Speed this yr, along with Battlefield 3 I just wonder why the EA Sports division wouldnt look to add something like that. IMO it would present that realistic look and feel we are looking for, if you seen the pics and gameplay footage of both games.

Like it was stated in an earlier comment why would you take on the exclusive rights if you cannot present the best up until now? That is why I feel most of us football fans get frustrated with the series. Its the feeling that they will always sell you short. Did they go all out this year, because of the complaints that filled the blogs due to last years edition? I believe so, Madden has a tendency to be good every other year. Really it should be go hard or stay home.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Minnesota Vikings​ mascot, and beloved crazy person, "Ragnar" won't be riding out on his trademark motorcycle.
"He turned us down," Frazier told me. "I guess it's an image thing for him. If you want him in the game though, you should tell him!"
So now he thinks he's as big as Bellecheck and can turn down an appearance in a video game? Ok...............what a joke.Dude, you're a weirdo in a viking costume, not a SB winning head coach. Pfft......
Old 08-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
So now he thinks he's as big as Bellecheck and can turn down an appearance in a video game? Ok...............what a joke.Dude, you're a weirdo in a viking costume, not a SB winning head coach. Pfft......

Patriots Coach is a weirdo too for not appearing in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »