Home

How Do You Approach the Draft in Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on How Do You Approach the Draft in Franchise Mode? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
Rookie

bucknut88's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: How Do You Approach the Draft in Franchise Mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az2k12
Okay, my mistake. I wasn't aware that they weren't random. That is indeed a much needed improvement then.

And Bucknut, I don't think we'll know until the game is released.
Thanks. How was it last year? Random?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut88
Hopefully somebody can answer this question for me....

What determines the ratings for imported players from ncaa to madden? Is it all random? Does what they did in the ncaa game matter?

For example, Andrew Luck is a 98 or 99 (something like that). If his last year on ncaa is a heisman type year will that make his rating higher than if he got hurt for the whole season?

I never bothered with NCAA importing due to most of them coming in really low, with horrible stats(even the top guys like Luck). Apparently EA has said they "tuned" the way NCAA players come in.

Last edited by LambertandHam; 08-06-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
Rookie

Az2k12's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm pretty sure it's always been random? But I've been wrong as you can see in this very thread haha. I remember in 08 the last time I owned both games I imported a star QB took him first round and he was in 50s-60s. Never bought an NCAA game again but this time around they said they fixed it so hopefully we're looking at accurate ratings.

Coach Wile CH2K8

ASU // Phoenix Suns
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Rookie

CajunPunk's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert&Ham
I never bothered with NCAA importing due to most of them coming in really low, with horrible stats(even the top guys like Luck). Apparently EA has said they "tuned" the way NCAA players come in.
For me, it was always random. Sometimes, the ratings for some players were dead on, or at least I felt they were, but there were others who were too high or too low and it varied from year to year. Each time I imported them, the ratings changed.

I always export 4-5 years of NCAA draft classes and use them for every franchise I make. Once, in a franchise with the Saints in '11, I noticed Jake Locker was taken by another team in the draft and was rated in the mid-70s. I thought that was pretty good. Later in a different franchise, I was with the Bills and needed a QB. When Locker fell to me, I drafted him, but he was like a 63 OVR. Needless to say, he was a bust.

Ultimately, I don't mind the different ratings from year to year, as it seems to keep the draft relatively unpredictable, but seeing Locker go from the mid-70s to a 63 is a bit much.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #13
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPunk
For me, it was always random. Sometimes, the ratings for some players were dead on, or at least I felt they were, but there were others who were too high or too low and it varied from year to year. Each time I imported them, the ratings changed.

I always export 4-5 years of NCAA draft classes and use them for every franchise I make. Once, in a franchise with the Saints in '11, I noticed Jake Locker was taken by another team in the draft and was rated in the mid-70s. I thought that was pretty good. Later in a different franchise, I was with the Bills and needed a QB. When Locker fell to me, I drafted him, but he was like a 63 OVR. Needless to say, he was a bust.

Ultimately, I don't mind the different ratings from year to year, as it seems to keep the draft relatively unpredictable, but seeing Locker go from the mid-70s to a 63 is a bit much.
Pretty much this. While not every college star will go on to be a great NFL pro, a 10-12 point swing and I'll stick with Tremendous Johnson from EA's draft class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az2k12
I'm pretty sure it's always been random? But I've been wrong as you can see in this very thread haha. I remember in 08 the last time I owned both games I imported a star QB took him first round and he was in 50s-60s. Never bought an NCAA game again but this time around they said they fixed it so hopefully we're looking at accurate ratings.
It's?

Wow, I must have horrible luck. I did it in Madden 10 and had all my QB's come in around 55-60.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 7

Basically prioritize all my draft picks (aside from O-Linemen, and kickers) by the following attributes

1) Speed (compared to average of position)
2) Height
3) Hit Power for LB or S, Press Coverage for CB, FNM for DE, Elusiveness/Trucking/Catch for RB/WR/TE

- I'm always looking for players who would be beasts at another position... such as DE's with huge strength and average speed for a DE are genetic freaks at DT

- I'm gitty for 6'3+ safeties who I can play center field with

- I'll always draft more fast LB's. Even if they suck you can land some guy who's like 85 spd, 90 HP, and 30 AWR, 56 OVR, and they'll force 3 fumbles for you a year on special teams

- I generally don't like to draft QB, HB, FB, WR, or TE... I see there names the most, I prefer if they're real players with pictures rather than randoms with silhouettes.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

On a related note, I've been looking all over for this and haven't found an answer: are draft classes imported from NCAA going to work better this year? From what I remember of last year's edition, all the player ratings were randomized and everyone came in with unusually low ratings, especially in awareness. I think it would be a blast to have concurrent NCAA/Madden franchises going, especially since I run wildly different offenses between the two of them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #16
MVP

pmurray20's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideoutside15
On a related note, I've been looking all over for this and haven't found an answer: are draft classes imported from NCAA going to work better this year? From what I remember of last year's edition, all the player ratings were randomized and everyone came in with unusually low ratings, especially in awareness. I think it would be a blast to have concurrent NCAA/Madden franchises going, especially since I run wildly different offenses between the two of them.
i just wish you could use the imported classes in the online franchise

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »