Home

Full half gameplay of final build

This is a discussion on Full half gameplay of final build within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #17
Rookie

JMUfootball's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Full half gameplay of final build

One thing EA doesn't understand is that it's not how the presentation looks the first time you see it, it's how it looks when you see it every game over the course of a season.

Yeah the intro and pregame huddle scenes look nice...but is there any variation? What NBA 2k does is brilliant - it rotates the intro so sometimes you get players walking into the building, sometimes you get the mascot on the court, sometimes a coach speech, etc.

Madden in the past has provided the same scripted pregame ritual every game, and as a result by the 3rd or 4th time you play a home game you just wish they had never even bothered. I'm curious to see more videos...because presentation isn't a "one time" thing, like EA seems to think it is.

Other presentation things I noticed were somewhat discouraging:

1) Offensive linemen still follow routine first down catches by running downfield wildly pumping their fists like they are at a rave in Prague. This is so stupid; excessive celebrations should be reserved for touchdowns or 4th down conversions, otherwise it looks so gamey.

2) Same animations after the play. Someone posted a video of NCAA 2003 and it was using the exact same mega-zoom player lock camera after each dead ball. When watching a game on TV you don't see this camera shot after EVERY play, I honestly don't know where EA got it from nor do I know why they insist on keeping it.

3) Of course the commentary. It's truly awful. Yes I know it's being fixed for '13, but EA Tiburon deserves a lot of heat for being so behind the times. It's almost the year 2012 and the choppiness of commentary reminds me a lot of Sports Talk Baseball for Sega Genesis circa 1992. That's not an exaggeration...there's no excuse for the commentary not to be better, especially when other games (NBA and MLB 2k) have had much much better commentary for a few years now.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #18
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUfootball
One thing EA doesn't understand is that it's not how the presentation looks the first time you see it, it's how it looks when you see it every game over the course of a season.

Yeah the intro and pregame huddle scenes look nice...but is there any variation? What NBA 2k does is brilliant - it rotates the intro so sometimes you get players walking into the building, sometimes you get the mascot on the court, sometimes a coach speech, etc.

Madden in the past has provided the same scripted pregame ritual every game, and as a result by the 3rd or 4th time you play a home game you just wish they had never even bothered. I'm curious to see more videos...because presentation isn't a "one time" thing, like EA seems to think it is.

Other presentation things I noticed were somewhat discouraging:

1) Offensive linemen still follow routine first down catches by running downfield wildly pumping their fists like they are at a rave in Prague. This is so stupid; excessive celebrations should be reserved for touchdowns or 4th down conversions, otherwise it looks so gamey.

2) Same animations after the play. Someone posted a video of NCAA 2003 and it was using the exact same mega-zoom player lock camera after each dead ball. When watching a game on TV you don't see this camera shot after EVERY play, I honestly don't know where EA got it from nor do I know why they insist on keeping it.

3) Of course the commentary. It's truly awful. Yes I know it's being fixed for '13, but EA Tiburon deserves a lot of heat for being so behind the times. It's almost the year 2012 and the choppiness of commentary reminds me a lot of Sports Talk Baseball for Sega Genesis circa 1992. That's not an exaggeration...there's no excuse for the commentary not to be better, especially when other games (NBA and MLB 2k) have had much much better commentary for a few years now.
I'm not really sure about this, I mean the game isn't even out yet so it's hard to say. I know each team has their own specific and authentic intro, but other than seeing them from different camera angles each time I'm not sure what else they have done. I do know they claim to have 700 cameras in the game, so that should lead to a lot of variety in pre/post play shots. I know there's also stadium shots from overhead and zoom outs to show us more of the stadium during timeouts and between quarters as well as the fade in and out effect like NBA2k11 has.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #19
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

I think the game overall looks real good. The presentation is pretty good with the different cam. angles and the outside shots of the staduims. The announcing ain't all that, but it is coming along pretty good for this year. Next year should be much better I'm sure. But overall the gameplay,presentation, and announcing looks pretty good. Can't wait for the demo and the final version at the end of the month.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Do you really think they had time to fully restructure and rebuild the commentary in a few months time on top of all the other stuff they have done for Madden 12? There is a TON of new stuff in Madden 12 compared to 11. I'm really getting sick of all the people who can't appreciate what EA is finally trying to do. They have a development team that actually is trying to make the sim/hardcore football fans happy now and not just give us gimmick features that we don't really care about.

The game has a lot to be fixed and it's going to take a ton of work for the developers to fix it, which is why they have now doubled their team, you can't expect it to all be fixed in one year. Since you mentioned NBA 2k11 which is undoubtedly a great game, but how long did it take them to get 2k11 where it was last year? The majority of the game from 2k11 has elements of 2k10,2k9, and even 2k8 in it for that matter. It wasn't like 2k10 sucked or something and all of a sudden they just made 2k11 a masterpiece. They build off of each year and with 2k11, built off of the good elements of 2k10 and made it better.

Madden 12 is trying to do the same thing, but Madden 11 was pretty bad so like I said it's going to take some time. Madden 12's going to be a great game and they made improvements to the commentary, just aren't rebuilding it and competely improving it until next year. Which as long as Madden 12 plays a good game of football and feels/looks like what we see on Sunday I don't see why waiting a year for great commentary is such a big deal.
And you DO realize that there is a separate team for the audio portion of the game, right?? A team whose sole responsibility is sound...my question is what the hell did they do all year?

Seriously...I'm not trying to flame or blindly call someone out. But you gotta' wonder how they worked an enormous number of hours on sound, but somehow it's basically been the same for years.

I understand that much of it is the technology they've been using. But, when even MISTAKES from previous iterations are still present, then I gotta' wonder how I can get a job like that, because it's clearly a breeze!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #21
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPunk
I know everyone complains about the commentary, but Gus is just horrid. You can tell when each and every thing he says was recorded differently. It is so disjointed, and he shows a different level of emotion for each of the different aspects of dialogue. Get rid of this guy already.

"THEY'LL SET UP SHOP! at the 20 yardline...."

Also, he says, "He was selected to the Pro Bowl for the first time in 2010." Who was? He doesn't say who, but I'm left to assume he's talking about Ryan, despite the fact that he started the sentenced while the camera was still on the kick returner.

Other than that, it looks great.
I agree 100% about Gus Johnson. I'll be turning the commentary off again this year. After going back and playing Madden 10 all year I've realized how much better Hammond is then Johnson. Johnson has got to go, he is horrible, even when he is doing real NFL games on TV he sucks.

Last edited by JMD; 08-07-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 6

Can someone honestly tell me how good it looks compared to Madden 12? Can't view the vid b/c I'm using an internet stick and I can't waste too many Megabits watching the vid.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #23
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
I agree 100% about Gus Johnson. I'll be turning the commentary off again this year. After going back and playing Madden 10 all year I've realized how much better Hammond is then Johnson. Johnson has got to go, he is horrible, even when he is doing real NFL games on TV he sucks.
Good to know it's not just me. I hear a lot of folks say he's the future of broadcasting, that he's exciting and intense, etc. I can't stand the guy. To me, his whole shtick just sounds so phony, so contrived, like he's trying to be the main attraction instead of the game. I had to mute every game he called during the NCAA tourney this year.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #24
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by je_2512
And you DO realize that there is a separate team for the audio portion of the game, right?? A team whose sole responsibility is sound...my question is what the hell did they do all year?

Seriously...I'm not trying to flame or blindly call someone out. But you gotta' wonder how they worked an enormous number of hours on sound, but somehow it's basically been the same for years.

I understand that much of it is the technology they've been using. But, when even MISTAKES from previous iterations are still present, then I gotta' wonder how I can get a job like that, because it's clearly a breeze!!!
At E3 in June, Phil Frazier, the ex-EP, told everyone that both football games will have the Fifa sound technology. They just didn't have enough time to implement it for 12.

Anyone that saw that interview shouldn't be surprised that no major improvements were made for Madden 12.

Not making excuses, it is what it is, but at least people knew upfront before the rent or purchase the game.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »