Home

Ratings team did a terrible job this year?

This is a discussion on Ratings team did a terrible job this year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #49
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Ratings team did a terrible job this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northface28
I hear you, but why was Woodhead rated much lower in speed in M11? Did he remember how to run in a years time?
Excuse me, what? Danny has had low to mid 90's speed in Madden 11 and has had it since the game came out when he was the 4th HB on the depth chart for the Jets.

Many people didn't know how good he was for various reasons. His speed wasn't a secret. The secret was his vision and ability to make people miss. If you watched School of Hard Knocks they had a whole segment on Danny and how hard he plays. The kid is finally getting the credit he deserves.

Over and over I am reading all these people caring about OVR ratings. What individual ratings do they have wrong about Danny Woodhead? Is it his Speed? DO you think a 4.33 40 time in slow? Maybe you think his game speed isn't as fast as his 40 time. Okay, I can see that. At 5:40 of the following video, you can watch as Dwight Lowrey chases him down.

In Madden Lowrey only has 85 speed and 89 acceleration. Do you think there should be a bit of re-balancing of both of these players? After all, Lowrey chased down a player who was known to have a 4.33 40 time. I don't think Danny is slower than 85 speed.

Ask yourself, is someone with 94 speed going to burn a bunch of people in the NFL all the time? I thought that is what 97-99 speed was for. What does 94 speed mean to you? I watch that video and whn given the chance, I see Danny cover a lot of ground very quickly.

Last edited by PGaither84; 08-08-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #50
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

As others have mentioned, position specific ratings are the thing to focus on. Also, DPP is really going to change things up this year. If a player has a consistency rating of one or two stars, maybe add in a "drops open passes" tag, and that "79" WR may play like a "65" WR most of the time.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #51
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDERMAN
Doing the ratings for 1750+ players is too much for any one person. That's why I don't understand why they don't allow the community to help.

They should get 32 representatives from the Madden community to help out with team authenticity. This is something I know fans would do for free. The hard part would be finding one fan for every team that is knowledgeable enough and also can be objective.

Every year they can invite those 32 to check out the game and discuss what is missing from their individual teams. Have the fans get the basic mold of the players and then Donny can tweak them afterwards if he chooses.

EA... let us, help you to make a better more authentic game for all fanbases.
Please no, this would be even worse. Everyteam would end up 90+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPunk
What is worse: players being rated too low or too high?

The guy is rating how many players? Of course, it's all subjective, and I doubt he got everyone of them wrong, so why don't you take the time to find the players you think are overrated and adjust their ratings (I've done it before and may do it again). Even if he rated them EXACTLY how you would like to see them, someone else would be creating another thread just like this one.
No.

The more subjective the ratings are the more room there is for complaint and valid criticism. So if the ratings were exactly how I'd like them see them (as close to completely objective as possible) any complaints wouldn't really make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I don't disagree with everything in the original post, but I think this is another case of people overrating the Overall rating. What matters are individual ratings. I don't care that Terrence Cody is a 72 OVR in Madden 11, he is a beast NT in the game. He isn't a fast pass rusher, but he is shut down in the run game, and he should be given his individual ratings.

Once you realize [and keep in mind] that OVR ratings are really just there for the computer to organize the depth chart, make free agent signings and trades, then this topic will not bother you as much.
Which is exactly why they need to do away with the OVR rating. If the CPU still needs it to evaluate their personnel make it hidden and only available to them. If it truly means nothing to the user there's no reason for us to have it. At the very least we should be able to turn it off.

Though I do have a tough time agreeing with the OVR rating is meaningless argument when EA goes out of their way to hype it pre-release every year. Everywhere from ESPN and Skip Bayless to their own blog. I also feel they manipulate OVRs to ensure depth charts are correct and for other reasons.

Last edited by poopoop; 08-08-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #52
Rookie

xpmar9x's Arena

OVR: 0

Didn't they just say last year they were lower the ratings? I know NBA 2K11 did, but I thought Madden said they were as well. I think they should really go off of this. They really need to lower the ratings, seems to be a ton of 90+ players already. 90+ should be ELITE players, not just a good player.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDERMAN
Doing the ratings for 1750+ players is too much for any one person. That's why I don't understand why they don't allow the community to help.

They should get 32 representatives from the Madden community to help out with team authenticity. This is something I know fans would do for free. The hard part would be finding one fan for every team that is knowledgeable enough and also can be objective.

Every year they can invite those 32 to check out the game and discuss what is missing from their individual teams. Have the fans get the basic mold of the players and then Donny can tweak them afterwards if he chooses.

EA... let us, help you to make a better more authentic game for all fanbases.
i actually agree with this. 32 ratings people. one per team. always have. it IS too much for one person. the point isnt being an expert in rating players, its following a ratings legend and being objective. for instance, if you say first round draft picks/second string players will be rated from 60-69 you allow your rating people to slot them to prevent homerism. all they'd be doing is following your legend--but you have to CREATE ONE first. you'd also do a ratings test to make sure they were on the same page as you.

then all the ratings "guru" (chuckle) would have to do is equipment and overlook/supervise/double-check the ratings to make sure none were out of wack, too high/too low. my gripe is with the too-high ratings but also with the fact that too many players' decline/improvement gets overlooked. as a Pats fan it was frustrating to see Woodhead overlooked early (again--i rated him a 64 at best) and what about guys like Branch (fits in our system/has chemistry with brady - 66 rating) even though he looked like he was a DONE player in seattle? he had a mini-resurgence with the Pats. What about Mccoutry (83)/BGE (75)? their improvement wasnt noticed until late on a high profile team, so i can only imagine how many players get overlooked on teams like Cleveland, Tampa or Buffalo.

in the end its about shrinking the ratings, but its also about having them reflect a player's current level of play--while he's playing at that level. and its much too big of a job for one person.

Last edited by SIMstyle; 08-08-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #54
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
Though I do have a tough time agreeing with the OVR rating is meaningless argument when EA goes out of their way to hype it pre-release every year. Everywhere from ESPN and Skip Bayless to their own blog. I also feel they manipulate OVRs to ensure depth charts are correct and for other reasons.
They do that because most people are not hardcore gamers that know better, or care for that matter. It's fun to hype and get people talking about the game.

I'm glad you made your last point.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien6663
3) Overating individual speed. I will bring up Woodhead again to make my point, Danny is not fast. Put Danny in the 40 yard dash and many nfl players will beat him. What Danny is though, is incredibly quick and agile. Danny should have accelleration and agility off the charts while topping out at no more then 89 speed.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Danny Woodhead ran a 4.33 40 yard dash at his pro days, which was the 2nd fastest among running backs that year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #56
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
They do that because most people are not hardcore gamers that know better, or care for that matter. It's fun to hype and get people talking about the game.

I'm glad you made your last point.
I am always interested in OVR because I have no clue how they come up w/it.

That being said, how can we know the ratings are horrible before we play the game? ...closing this.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »