Home

xbox 360 holding madden back?

This is a discussion on xbox 360 holding madden back? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
All Star

schnaidt1's Arena

OVR: 23
xbox 360 holding madden back?

because madden is the most popular sports game. i will focus on that. but this could also be said for ncaa football and 2k basketball.

i know there will be xbox 360 users out there who absolutely hate hate hate this thread because its basically degrading the 360. well i am sorry. stick to the point of the thread.

is the 360 holding back maddens development?

lets take this back for a moment. back to 2002. when arguably the best madden launched. it was than later beat by 2004 madden and 2005. this is where all the 360 users are going to go as there defense. the original xbox was more powerful than the ps2 but a great game was still delivered. however. that is way back when madden had competition. and we all know how great madden was when they had to compete.

ironically the nfl license was bought the same year madden 06 launched and came available next gen on the 360. i will not count all pro 2k8 as competition cuz it only sold 500k units and didnt have the nfl license and only had 1 development cycle. so we have yet to see madden have competition on next gen.

here is my theory. the xbox 360 is holding madden back because it only has 1/2 the power and capabilities as the ps3. since they dont have competition to force them to be great. this is ea's new excuse.

follow me. after 06 saw nothing on next gen as far as improvements. 07 offered just lead blocking control. in comes 08. they added weapons and the player introductions.

but in 09. they scrapped the player intros. and added the outside stadium shots. added the much wanted commentary, back track, and rewind. and a bunch of minor improvements you expect to see from year to year.

then comes in 10. what many consider the best madden of next gen. they scrapped the stadium shots that many people loved, why? i remember Ian said disc space. they added some cut scenes instead. which arent as cool as the player intros and stadium shots.

madden 10 added pro tak and fight for fumble and the horrible extra point.

madden 11 comes in however. adding more cut scenes, and locomotion, and gameflow. however they scrap backtrack, which i know some people liked. rewind is gone. and extra point...gone.

madden 12 now has stadium shots because they removed the extra point.

you see where i am going? every year madden takes away something they had just introduced within 2 years in order to add something else. in the case of backtrack. instead of spending more time fixing some of the things that were wrong. they scrap it for new stuff. why? because of disc space! this would not be a problem if xbox 360 wasnt so weak compared to ps3. imagine what could be done if a football game was made for just ps3? 2nd commentary team? highlight show? more animations? deeper game? graphic upgrades? check yes to all of the above.

the greatest baseball game is mlb the show. made exclusively on ps3. its not like they are beating a slouch either. their competitor is 2k. but they are limited in what they can accomplish by the xbox 360.

nba 2k series is amazing. but knowing 2k, u know if they could make a game for just ps3, they would add a 2nd commentary team, full physics, more presentation elements and so on.

so here i wonder? is the fact that all these things the community has been begging, and i mean BEGGING for just now starting to be implemented because the devs are trying to come up with disc space? or maybe? the 360 is their new excuse to not give us all that we want. i mean, how many times have we heard that they would like to give us all these things, but simply cant fit it all on the disc? thats on the 360, not the ps3.

so what if madden started making games for just ps3? what would they accomplish? or maybe still make games on 360 but the ps3 version was better.

2k did that with their games on old gen. so ea should do it now.

this thread is just me being curious as to why after 7 years madden still isnt bring as much as other sports games offer. and considering other dev teams at ea sports make great. and i mean great games, see fifa and nhl series. you have to wonder if they are using the 360 as their excuse for for always giving us something new, but taking from us something else also.

what do you think? should madden be developed on ps3? how much better do u think the game would be if they had twice as much disc space to work with? do you think the 360 is holding it back? what is a feasable solution in your mind?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: xbox 360 holding madden back?

1/2 the power ? Not true

Disc space ? Don't determine how good a game looks.

I suggest you take some programming classes to educate yourself on how videogames are made. Because what you just wrote is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Both consoles are holding games back in their own ways, as of shortly after they were released and PCs passed them again in horsepower.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Rookie

aceoye's Arena

OVR: 4

Idk how much of that can be true, when every year and for most multiplat games the 360 version of madden is always superior.. graphics wise, framerate,etc..
Old 08-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Its probably holding it back as far as how much stuff you can add to the game, however with the new disc format devs are getting a extra gig of space to play with. Im a 360 gamer btw
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
All Star

schnaidt1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
1/2 the power ? Not true

Disc space ? Don't determine how good a game looks.

I suggest you take some programming classes to educate yourself on how videogames are made. Because what you just wrote is just wrong on so many levels.
is it not true that the 360 only has 3 cells to work with and ps3 has 7? is it not true that the discs the 360 an read can only handle around 20-25 gigs and ps3 can handle blu ray which is around 50?? that sounds like 1/2 the power to me.

and altho i said graphics could be ugraded. disc space was not my argument for graphics. it is my argument for more stuff. like more commentary, highlights that go the full play, more animations, etc etc.

to the person who has a 360, i am sorry if i offended you. i had a 360 til i got the red rings. but the game often plays better on 360 because that is what it is made on.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Rookie

happymadison's Arena

OVR: 4

doesn't blu ray disc's have more disc space than regular dvd? if so then ea could add more to the ps3 version if disc space is the problem, but doubt they would because owner's of the 360 would absolutely go ballistic and it would not be fair to the 360 owner's for one console to have a better version of the game that they just spent the same amount of money on.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Rookie

AmericasTeam's Arena

OVR: 1

I have had both consoles. The 360 stayed and the PS3 was sold. Didn't play it. I don't have any clue where you get the 360 has 1/2 the power. Are you serious? Disk space - again, are you kidding? Both consoles are roughly even in power with a slight edge going to the PS3, but if falls short with multi-platform games. There could be a lot more done on new hardware (yes, both the 360 and PS3 are ancient), but the only thing that has been holding Madden back is EA.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »