Home

Dynamic Player Performance...Needs some tweaking in 12

This is a discussion on Dynamic Player Performance...Needs some tweaking in 12 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Rookie

mazinkaiser's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Dynamic Player Performance...Needs some tweaking in 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMHIII
Doesn't surprise me one bit. Its classic EA.......try and implement something great, but don't put the effort into making sure it actually works. This has been standard operating procedure by EA the entire next gen series. I really wish EA would add options in gameplay setup that would let you turn off different gameplay features (that ruin the game and don't work) so that you can enjoy the game the way you like it.
Don't worry. EA will drop this feature and introduce something else next year that doesn't work.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 17

Whether or not they choose to drop the actual feature of "DYNAMIC PLAYER PERFORMANCE" as an advertised feature the way its presented in this year's game now or for future versions, I doubt that they would actually remove it's functionality under the hood because I think its actually been in the game running for many years now.

What you see now is just a more user friendly presented version of the player ratings going up and down as the game on the field progresses to simulate player's composures. (ability to perform above/equal /below a particular attribute)

If you go into the depth charts in some of the older Madden's during a game after a significant play by a particular player(s), you'll notice the DPP in action in a different form. You'll see either a +1 or -1 next to a related player rating to indicated either a boost or decline in a key attribute related to the player's recent performance. (Unless of course, I am missing something completely different in this feature?)

To me it's the same thing with a prettier package and a more user friendly interface.

I just hope its making more performance changes under the hood then the few that are displayed during the game....because if it's not, then there needs to be some serious tinkering to adjust alot of the players performances throughout the game that are contributing game impacting plays and not getting boosts/declines in their ratings to reflect them............which in theory, could then create a slight imbalance in the intent of this feature and ultimately the game.

Last edited by Lisa_Bonami; 08-11-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
Whether or not they choose to drop the actual feature of "DYNAMIC PLAYER PERFORMANCE" as an advertised feature the way its presented in this year's game now or for future versions, I doubt that they would actually remove it's functionality under the hood because I think its actually been in the game running for many years now.

What you see now is just a more user friendly presented version of the player ratings going up and down as the game on the field progresses to simulate player's composures. (ability to perform above/equal /below a particular attribute)

If you go into the depth charts in some of the older Madden's during a game after a significant play by a particular player(s), you'll notice the DPP in action in a different form. You'll see either a +1 or -1 next to a related player rating to indicated either a boost or decline in a key attribute related to the player's recent performance. (Unless of course, I am missing something completely different in this feature?)

To me it's the same thing with a prettier package and a more user friendly interface.

I just hope its making more performance changes under the hood then the few that are displayed during the game....because if it's not, then there needs to be some serious tinkering to adjust alot of the players performances throughout the game that are contributing game impacting plays and not getting boosts/declines in their ratings to reflect them............which in theory, could then create a slight imbalance in the intent of this feature and ultimately the game.
I agree, this feature has been in the game since M10 at least. EA's decision to present DPP as a feature for M12 confirmed it for me.
In 12 seasons of M11 I can think of only a handful of times in which, possible DPP, actually had any affect on the final outcome. Still a cool feature non the less.

As for me I will reserve judging the effectiveness of DPP until I have played the full version of M12.
Quite possibly the full affects of DPP will be much more noticable with 12 to 15 min quarters rather than the 5 min quarters included in the demo.
I am fairly confident that EA devs have hit a home run on DPP as they have had 3 builds to tweak this before presenting it as a feature rather than hyping a weak, earliar version of DPP way back in M10, only to have us tear it apart on the boards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Earlier next-gen Madden games did not adjust ratings in-game. Older last gen Madden games did use hot and cold streaks. Also, in earlier next gen Madden games, coaches would give players a ratings boost in specific fields, which would show up as a +1, etc.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

I really love the idea of DPP, but I also just don't get it's need to exist.

If I throw the ball to Greg Jennings and he drops the ball, that's one thing. If I throw it to him and he drops the next two or three balls, I know that's a problem. He's having a concentration issue, a confidence issue, etc. Whatever it is, something is wrong. I'm watching it, I know it, and it's costing my team.

So why, then, do I need the game to TELL me he's dropping passes? I guess that's my disconnect. If he's dropping balls, and his rating is dropping because of it, I'm playing the game and am aware of it. Do I really need to go into the pause screen for the game to tell me what I already know?

I think this feature would better be served as sort of a coach/assistant feature. If Greg Jennings drops his 3rd pass in a row, the coach (or game, I dunno) should ask you if you want to sit him down as punishment, or just to give the backup a try.

I think DPP it's a good idea on paper but doesn't translate that well once you boot up the game.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

Call me jaded but I think DPP is nullifed by the games AI. In this gen of console the bright idea was concieved to boost the stats of the cpu team on the flyto emulate a challenge. If DPP works the way its supposed to why is ther a need for difficulty or sliders anymore. Beyond that this boosting on the fly has to still be in the games engine like fuel injectors of a car so on all pro and all madden is DPP even working properly or are the injectors clogged from all of the brilliant after market mods. How's that for frying noodle.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
Do I really need to go into the pause screen for the game to tell me what I already know?
Nope, and that's the beauty of it. All of this stuff is apparently working under the hood. You don't have to press pause to get the info. But what's cool to me is to visually be able to see that the game is capturing these trends and can relay it to the user in a non-invading way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #16
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I really love the idea of DPP, but I also just don't get it's need to exist.

If I throw the ball to Greg Jennings and he drops the ball, that's one thing. If I throw it to him and he drops the next two or three balls, I know that's a problem. He's having a concentration issue, a confidence issue, etc. Whatever it is, something is wrong. I'm watching it, I know it, and it's costing my team.

So why, then, do I need the game to TELL me he's dropping passes? I guess that's my disconnect. If he's dropping balls, and his rating is dropping because of it, I'm playing the game and am aware of it. Do I really need to go into the pause screen for the game to tell me what I already know?

I think this feature would better be served as sort of a coach/assistant feature. If Greg Jennings drops his 3rd pass in a row, the coach (or game, I dunno) should ask you if you want to sit him down as punishment, or just to give the backup a try.

I think DPP it's a good idea on paper but doesn't translate that well once you boot up the game.
In Madden 2011, if Greg Jennings drops the ball 3 times, he didn't lose concentration. It's a simple matter of the dice being rolled and going the wrong way. M11 Greg Jennings is a static player who has no emotions, no personality, and no motivation. He is the same Greg Jennings at the beginning as he is at the end. He is the same on week1 as he is with 2 minutes left in the Super Bowl. He is no different than any other WR with ratings equal to his. They are completely interchangeable.

In Madden 2012, DPP and traits are designed to give players more personality beyond simple ratings. Ratings cannot replicate something like Randy Moss taking some plays off, or T.O losing his concentration if he's not involved early. Add in player traits, and now you separate these types of players. Now, we have players who are affected by their play. Are you rocking the QB and putting him in the grass? He's going to lose confidence in his offensive line and it'll affect his decision-making.

In Madden 11, if you sacked a QB 10 times, the QB would still play the same. In Madden 12, that QB is going to get flustered and force passes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »