Home

Long Snappers

This is a discussion on Long Snappers within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Long Snappers

Hear me out. I really like that they added long snappers to the game. These guys are important to the game, and really undervalued in the videogame world. A team without a reliable long snapper is at a disadvantage in the punting and especially the kicking game. Without a clean snap, it's harder to get a good hold, resulting in a less than perfect kick.

So here we go, EA I urge you to do the following:
-Add a LS position.
-Do not make it a roster requirement. (And while you're at it, please remove position minimums, just have a total team minimum.)
-Make long snapping user controlled. This would revolutionize the kicking game, and make kicking field goals more intense and skill required. Less gimmes.
-A new rating would not be required, as I think AWR could account for "snap accuracy."

I'm not sure how the interface could work, but perhaps something like NCAA's kicking meter. The left stick (conveniently labeled LS), could require an "up-down" motion to perform the snap while the kick on the RS requires a "down-up" motion immediately after. If the accuracy of your snap is off, the kick will be affected. On punts, the punter may have to leap/stretch/etc. for a ball and may risk being blocked if he can't set up in time. Of course, if you are way off, a botched snap may occur resulting in a big loss.

I think this would be a great addition to special teams, a part of the game that is frequently overlooked and under appreciated in Madden.

Any thoughts? Or is this a stupid idea?

Last edited by menglish20; 08-10-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Long Snappers

Well it's true that clutch field goals wouldn't be such cake if actions had to be performed for long snappers and even place holders. That could be interesting...

Or they could just make long snapping a rating and have errors based on that rating much like kick returners with low KR muffing punts.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faizon
Well it's true that clutch field goals wouldn't be such cake if actions had to be performed for long snappers and even place holders. That could be interesting...

Or they could just make long snapping a rating and have errors based on that rating much like kick returners with low KR muffing punts.
Agreed, adding a rating could make it automatic. But do you think people would prefer making mistakes themselves (user controlled), or leaving it up to chance?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

i like the idea and its the first time ive heard it lol.. maybe in next years one!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 13

I like the idea, but I'm not sure I like the idea of awareness being the stat that matters. I don't see a problem with adding a position-specific rating. CBs have Press, Kickers and Punters have KPW and KAC. Why can't Long Snappers have LS?
Using Awareness as the rating that matters sort of implies that just anyone can be a good long snapper. Being good at it though takes skill and lots of practice. I know it's the CFL, but a few years ago the Argos' long-snapper retired, and they had so much trouble finding a replacement that they had to have him come out of retirement just for games. There's a reason that it's always the same guys doing the long-snapping, and there's a reason that teams keep re-signing the good ones. It's a position-specific skill.

I'm also not sure about it being user-controlled. Bad snaps happen pretty rarely in real life. I just think if it was user-controlled, it would be hard to find the right difficulty balance. I think bad snaps would either happen way too often, or they would never happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »