Home

Swat button needs more animations

This is a discussion on Swat button needs more animations within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Swat button needs more animations

As a DB user its ridiculuous that all this button does is put a hand out....Last gen the button had tons of useful animations like jumping up, reaching out and really breaking up plays. It would be impossible to do the old db drill with the next gen animations.

We need more animations and put some weight on these guys....I still feel like Im skating on ice!!!!!! Its no wonder most people have switched to using LB's in this game, the feel of controlling your man is still off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Rookie

will12203's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Swat button needs more animations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson24
As a DB user its ridiculuous that all this button does is put a hand out....Last gen the button had tons of useful animations like jumping up, reaching out and really breaking up plays. It would be impossible to do the old db drill with the next gen animations.

We need more animations and put some weight on these guys....I still feel like Im skating on ice!!!!!! Its no wonder most people have switched to using LB's in this game, the feel of controlling your man is still off.

I totally agree with you is auto strafe still on by default in Madden 12? As well as Auto sprint?

great Buffalo Bills talk
http://boards.buffalobills.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

the official Madden 12 messageboard
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/forums/show/396.page

the official EA Sports World Video Site
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/profile

gamertag: will12203
Old 08-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

I saw your post on this on the impressions thread for the demo and was going to agree. To be fair, I haven't played a ton of the Madden 12 demo, but do own NCAA 12 and Madden 11, and this is a problem. Part of it is that they mapped it to the terrible bumper buttons, which are less reliable than the old shoulder buttons on a PS2 controller. So I don't even know if I'm pressing the button, let alone what it will do.

But beyond that, I just don't trust the animation. I would rather square up to the ball and try a jump catch with "Y" than press swat ball and have it work maybe every other time. And there were situations in PS2-era Madden games where you NEEDED the swat button and it made sense, such as when you and the receiver are both running away from the line of scrimmage and you can't catch all the way up.

Human-controlled pass coverage will always be a problem in football games, but I think they could do a little better with it. I trust myself to take control of a safety on a lame duck pop-up, but rarely do I want to do that in man-to-man coverage with a corner.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24

Totally agree, I think they also need to make the dive catch bottom a go get the ball bottom to make it a battle for the ball situation between the DB and WR.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson24

Yeah but at least it works even though it isn't that appealing to the eye. The "catch" doesn't work worth beans hence I've graduated to the "swat" button exclusively.

Playing the demo I've actually interecepted the ball using the "swat" button...I switched to the DB as the ball was in flight, took control of the man (DB), slightly positioned him and hit L1 and he went into a catch annimation. My first initial thought was the annimation kicked in before I took control of the guy but it didn't...I watched the replay like 10 times because I couldn't believe my eyes....
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »