Home

I think I resolved one of my major annoyances with Madden (On Defense)

This is a discussion on I think I resolved one of my major annoyances with Madden (On Defense) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
I think I resolved one of my major annoyances with Madden (On Defense)

For the longest time I've been annoyed by the lack of response the "catch" button has on defense. It seemed next to impossible, because the overall lack of response or lag in hitting the triangle button (PS3), to switch men and make a play on a passed ball using the catch button. Well it turns out the "swat" button (L1) is very repsonsive and when you hit that button in the heat of battle your guy does actually perform the move and most of the time will effectively swat down the pass if you're in the right position.

I never reallly discovered this because L1 is not an intuative button to hit and it's a huge departure from the traingle button that was so effective on last gen and I've had to retrain my brain to use the L1 button which hasn't been easy but I'm getting used to it.

For me it's made playing defense fun again because I actually feel like I can impact the on field play with the sticks which in my opinion has been completely lacking on this gen of EA football.

For someone who has been a next gen Madden ***** for the most part I'm now interested in this game this year...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: I think I resolved one of my major annoyances with Madden (On Defense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
For the longest time I've been annoyed by the lack of response the "catch" button has on defense. It seemed next to impossible, because the overall lack of response or lag in hitting the triangle button (PS3), to switch men and make a play on a passed ball using the catch button. Well it turns out the "swat" button (L1) is very repsonsive and when you hit that button in the heat of battle your guy does actually perform the move and most of the time will effectively swat down the pass if you're in the right position.

I never reallly discovered this because L1 is not an intuative button to hit and it's a huge departure from the traingle button that was so effective on last gen and I've had to retrain my brain to use the L1 button which hasn't been easy but I'm getting used to it.

For me it's made playing defense fun again because I actually feel like I can impact the on field play with the sticks which in my opinion has been completely lacking on this gen of EA football.

For someone who has been a next gen Madden ***** for the most part I'm now interested in this game this year...
The swat isn't new for Madden 12. It's been on NG for years and has always been a good tool to defend passes because it acts as a STRIP button and whacks at the ball as the receiver tries to bring it in.

The catch button on the other hand requires practice... Hopefully EA brings back the DB Swat Drill from PS2 (SOON?) because it is the best thing to practice defensive user skills. Including Catch.

Later
Old 08-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
The swat isn't new for Madden 12. It's been on NG for years and has always been a good tool to defend passes because it acts as a STRIP button and whacks at the ball as the receiver tries to bring it in.

The catch button on the other hand requires practice... Hopefully EA brings back the DB Swat Drill from PS2 (SOON?) because it is the best thing to practice defensive user skills. Including Catch.

Later
It may have taken me this long just to get used to using L1. I've always been so annoying with Madden in general that I never really gave it the time that was needed to get used to the hitting L1. The game never held my interest that long (more than a couple games). I would get annoyed that the catch button never really worked and the men always felt like they were on skates that I'd just give up on it after a couple of games.

I'm still not totaly giddy about the game but the demo held my interest long enough this year to get me to adjust and try different things. I'm actually thinking about buying it...
Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
It may have taken me this long just to get used to using L1. I've always been so annoying with Madden in general that I never really gave it the time that was needed to get used to the hitting L1. The game never held my interest that long (more than a couple games). I would get annoyed that the catch button never really worked and the men always felt like they were on skates that I'd just give up on it after a couple of games.

I'm still not totaly giddy about the game but the demo held my interest long enough this year to get me to adjust and try different things. I'm actually thinking about buying it...
I'm glad the discovery is helping you enjoy the game more!

But I'm a little concerned about the catch button... There's a technique to the User Pick that takes some time to develop so don't give up on the catch button.

Personally, I defend jump catches (also called Rocket Catch) poorly when I try to jump with the receiver. I always seem to be in bad position or mistime the leap. Usually I just hit them REAL HARD with a Hit Stick and a Swat/Strip (depending on whether the ball is still in the air or whether the receiver has touched it). Other catches, bombs in particular, I'm good at running down and catching.

Here's what I recommend:

Turn OFF the Auto-Strafe. When you need to square up, use the L2 button.
Turn OFF the Auto-Sprint. When you need to sprint, use the R2 button.

It gives you more control over what your defender does, but that control comes with the responsibility that you must make the play.

To start off, don't try to switch and catch passes unless you know you can make the play. Screw it up a few times and you'll know why. Resist the urge until you get comfortable knowing whether you should catch, swat, or tackle quickly after the ball is thrown. As you get better, you'll want to make all the plays.

Personally, I don't use the SWAT enough... But I'm going to have to get used to it this year.

Hope this helps,

Later
Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Rookie

Tha_BlacKnight's Arena

Thumbs up Re: I think I resolved one of my major annoyances with Madden (On Defense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I'm glad the discovery is helping you enjoy the game more!

But I'm a little concerned about the catch button... There's a technique to the User Pick that takes some time to develop so don't give up on the catch button.

Personally, I defend jump catches (also called Rocket Catch) poorly when I try to jump with the receiver. I always seem to be in bad position or mistime the leap. Usually I just hit them REAL HARD with a Hit Stick and a Swat/Strip (depending on whether the ball is still in the air or whether the receiver has touched it). Other catches, bombs in particular, I'm good at running down and catching.

Here's what I recommend:

Turn OFF the Auto-Strafe. When you need to square up, use the L2 button.
Turn OFF the Auto-Sprint. When you need to sprint, use the R2 button.

It gives you more control over what your defender does, but that control comes with the responsibility that you must make the play.

To start off, don't try to switch and catch passes unless you know you can make the play. Screw it up a few times and you'll know why. Resist the urge until you get comfortable knowing whether you should catch, swat, or tackle quickly after the ball is thrown. As you get better, you'll want to make all the plays.

Personally, I don't use the SWAT enough... But I'm going to have to get used to it this year.

Hope this helps,

Later
Couldnt of said it better myself bro!

6'8 220 Point Guard Ovr rating 62
College: The Citadel 2009-12

Career PPG 12.4, RPG 6.9, APG 11.2 (1521 asts)
89 career dbl dbls, 21 career triple doubles

4X All-Conf, 10-11 Conf POY, 08-09 Conf Frosh of the year, Frosh All Conf
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »