Home

Offensive Holding not enforced correctly?

This is a discussion on Offensive Holding not enforced correctly? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Offensive Holding not enforced correctly?

While I was trying out the Madden 12 demo, the cpu was called twice for holding (Madden calling penalties is strange in itself, I know). What was really strange tho is that when the penalty was marked off, the cpu got the ball 10 yrds behind the spot of the foul. So instead of being 1st and 20, the cpu had it 1st and 4 to go the first time and 1st and 8 the second time. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #2

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Offensive Holding not enforced correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
While I was trying out the Madden 12 demo, the cpu was called twice for holding (Madden calling penalties is strange in itself, I know). What was really strange tho is that when the penalty was marked off, the cpu got the ball 10 yrds behind the spot of the foul. So instead of being 1st and 20, the cpu had it 1st and 4 to go the first time and 1st and 8 the second time. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Holding is a spot penalty unless the hold occurs behind the LOS.

The problem with the way it has been for years in the game is not how it is enforced, but how it is called. You will rarely (if ever) see a downfield offensive holding penalty called.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
It's correct... Holding is marked 10 yards from the spot of the foul. If the resulting play after the penalty assessment has reached the line of gain, it's a 1st and 10. If it's short, the down is replayed and it may be 1st and 4, or 8, etc.

Later
Old 08-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Wow, learn something new every day I guess. As much football as I have watched, I don't remember every seeing a team faced with a 1st and 4 after a holding call. Thanks for the replies fellas.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 AM   #5

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Wow, learn something new every day I guess. As much football as I have watched, I don't remember every seeing a team faced with a 1st and 4 after a holding call. Thanks for the replies fellas.
You won't see it, physics almost make it impossible.

Holding mainly occurs when the offensive lineman are going backwards trying to keep the DL from getting to the QB, whereas downfield it is the opposite.

It happens in Madden, and has for awhile for reasons we don't need to get into here.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »