Home

A realistic way to fix the passing game.

This is a discussion on A realistic way to fix the passing game. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
A realistic way to fix the passing game.

I know there have been A LOT of ideas in regards to the passing game and new ways to improve it. As it stands now, the passing game is in the dark ages. Many have suggested a return to a vision cone like system or a variant of thereof. Others have suggest something similar to "Read and Lead" ala NFL Fever. One thing that everyone wants is route based passing and an effective way to implement it. For a while I was an advocate of playing the quarterback position like a first person shooter where the passer would "target" an area ala Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 on the Wii. I've come to realize that a new system is not what we need, but more of an evolution. So the conclusion I've come up with is icon route based passing.

Route based passing at it's core is when the quarterback throws a route not to a receiver. Everything from the current passing game will stay the same save for two things; where the ball goes and how why. Currently the ball goes where the receiver is going because that's what the CPU sees. A player can't throw a pass before a break because the CPU sees a player moving in one direction, not running a route. The change would be that no matter where the receiver is, the quarterback will always throw to the same area no matter where the receiver is on his route. For example: if I call a comeback route, even if the receiver is in the middle of his stem up the field, if I press his button the ball will land where the end of his route is supposed to be. This would make routes like fades, comebacks, hitches, square-ins, etc. "true to the game."

I think that this addition would round out what is an already very good game this year. This is something I'd like to see added to the game next year or at least considered. Madden 12 is a game heading in the right direction and feels as authentic as the series ever has on the field, save for this one blemish. Even if this isn't what makes the passing game better I am hoping the something is in plans for next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: A realistic way to fix the passing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich7sena
I know there have been A LOT of ideas in regards to the passing game and new ways to improve it. As it stands now, the passing game is in the dark ages. Many have suggested a return to a vision cone like system or a variant of thereof. Others have suggest something similar to "Read and Lead" ala NFL Fever. One thing that everyone wants is route based passing and an effective way to implement it. For a while I was an advocate of playing the quarterback position like a first person shooter where the passer would "target" an area ala Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 on the Wii. I've come to realize that a new system is not what we need, but more of an evolution. So the conclusion I've come up with is icon route based passing.

Route based passing at it's core is when the quarterback throws a route not to a receiver. Everything from the current passing game will stay the same save for two things; where the ball goes and how why. Currently the ball goes where the receiver is going because that's what the CPU sees. A player can't throw a pass before a break because the CPU sees a player moving in one direction, not running a route. The change would be that no matter where the receiver is, the quarterback will always throw to the same area no matter where the receiver is on his route. For example: if I call a comeback route, even if the receiver is in the middle of his stem up the field, if I press his button the ball will land where the end of his route is supposed to be. This would make routes like fades, comebacks, hitches, square-ins, etc. "true to the game."

I think that this addition would round out what is an already very good game this year. This is something I'd like to see added to the game next year or at least considered. Madden 12 is a game heading in the right direction and feels as authentic as the series ever has on the field, save for this one blemish. Even if this isn't what makes the passing game better I am hoping the something is in plans for next year.
This is exactly correct IMO and how the game should be. If nothing else they need to add a toggle as an option for folks like us who want to play with this feature, which is much more realistic than how things are now.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
Rookie

OriolesFanRD's Arena

OVR: 5

Not a bad idea. I'm still a fan of the vision cone, though, and I hated that the casuals got their way and it was removed. Should have kept it optional like it was. It was a great addition in my opinion and could have been improved. And you saw a lot of people's fraudulence come out when it was around, haha.
  • Baltimore Orioles
  • San Antonio Spurs
  • Maryland Terps [Basketball|Football]
Online Championship Wrestling
2012 Baltimore Orioles - Left us way too soon. Fun ride, fellas!
2014 Baltimore Orioles - My soul hurts. It hurts really bad
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriolesFanRD
Not a bad idea. I'm still a fan of the vision cone, though, and I hated that the casuals got their way and it was removed. Should have kept it optional like it was. It was a great addition in my opinion and could have been improved. And you saw a lot of people's fraudulence come out when it was around, haha.
The vision cone was a great idea that impacted visuals too much, they should have given you a transparency slider for it and more people would have used it..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Like it. The beauty becomes that route running matters - so say the QB is throwing a post. The QB will throw an "idealized" post, like you draw up on a chalkboard, but the accuracy of how that route is run will be determined by their route running ability. Also, an effective press on the line will disrupt this timing.

Only problem I see is in when you throw the route. So what happens if its a three step route you throw on a 1 step, or the pocket breaks down and you scramble? Further, defensive AI would have to be fixed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 0

Vision cone was way too gamey.

Are you suggesting that you want to have the ability to throw a slant to a WR that's running a curl? As one example. If so that's not realistic and would go against a lot of core fundamentals. With most routes WRs aren't even looking back until they make their break, so how can you make any drastic altercations to their route, and have them react to it, without the AI cheating? Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding though.

What they need is a maximum passing system where you can place the ball high/low, left/right shoulder.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
Rookie

Uncle Way's Arena

OVR: 8

We've been asking for route-based passing for years.. I doubt we'll see it anytime soon..
Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
Rookie

Uncle Way's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
Vision cone was way too gamey.

Are you suggesting that you want to have the ability to throw a slant to a WR that's running a curl? As one example. If so that's not realistic and would go against a lot of core fundamentals. With most routes WRs aren't even looking back until they make their break, so how can you make any drastic altercations to their route, and have them react to it, without the AI cheating? Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding though.

What they need is a maximum passing system where you can place the ball high/low, left/right shoulder.

....And yes. You're completely misunderstanding

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »