Home

It seems speed is the only rating that still matters on Madden?

This is a discussion on It seems speed is the only rating that still matters on Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: It seems speed is the only rating that still matters on Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
So what's your point? Then speed matters FAR TO MUCH in offline franchise mode right? Then those guys are correct that SPEED MATTERS far to much.

So I say, stop telling them they are wrong, and let's be vocal so EA changes this to be more realistic.
My point is that playing the CPU will give players a skewed idea of what 'matters' in a Madden game. YES. Speed is important, but it's not the only thing that's important.

Case in point:

When smart football is used to combat speed, it's not a big deal. But what does the CPU do to account for speed? It might use a Dime coverage on 3rd and long IF you're in a 3WR/4WR set. But that's all we can expect.

Against a human, speed isn't nearly the same factor because a human (who knows what he's doing) will do all the things that help combat speed that the CPU will not.

In other words. It you spend your time playing the CPU, you only know part of the speed equation because you can beat the unthinking CPU with speed and speed alone. Of course, if you think you're going to beat a human the same way - you better pick a rookie because skilled Madden players know how to deal with speed...

There's a reason Darius Heyward Bey and Devin Hester are NOT ranked in the top 5 receiving threats for online franchise play according to leaguemanager.net despite being some of the fastest players on the game.

Speed only seems to matter more because when you aren't playing anybody the CPU doesn't adjust for speed. No loose coverage. No repositioning players. None of the things NFL teams do to negate speed. Hence, speed looks overpowering when it's really NOT.

Later
Old 08-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
My point is that playing the CPU will give players a skewed idea of what 'matters' in a Madden game.
It's not a skewed view of what matters to those playing offline franchise. You just said THEY DON'T MATTER. How the game plays for them DOES NOT MATTER.

Now that's pretty arrogant of you.

Here is a more accurate Quote for you to use:
Quote:
My point is that playing the CPU will gives me a skewed idea of what 'matters' in a Madden game for me.
Stop speaking for everyone when your opinion really only matters to YOU.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #35
Banned

Quote:
It's not a skewed view of what matters to those playing offline franchise. You just said THEY DON'T MATTER. How the game plays for them DOES NOT MATTER.

Now that's pretty arrogant of you.

Here is a more accurate Quote for you to use:

Stop speaking for everyone when your opinion really only matters to YOU.
If speed were the only thing that matters in Madden - as a few have said in this thread - it would be the same no matter who your opponent, human or CPU. But that's not the case.

SPD seems like it's the only thing that matters in two situations:

1) Against the CPU that does nothing to account for speed.
2) Against humans that don't know how to account for speed (aka Rookies).

In any other scenario, speed means far less than the posts in this thread imply. Speed is all important when you aren't playing an entity with football sense. But when you play someone (or something) that handles speed in a football way, it's effectiveness more clearly resembles the importance of football speed.

That said, I'm cool with you thinking I'm an outspoken, arrogant, _______ (insert derisive noun). My goal isn't to be anyone's friend. I'm here to combat the misinformation I read DAILY.

If you're really upset because I said that people who play the CPU are only getting half the picture... TRY USING SPEED AGAINST A SKILLED HUMAN. Then you'll see that SPD isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Ill volunteer to show you if I must... Name your system.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
If speed were the only thing that matters in Madden - as a few have said in this thread - it would be the same no matter who your opponent, human or CPU. But that's not the case.
I hear people saying speed matters too much, not that it is the only thing that matters.

Quote:
SPD seems like it's the only thing that matters in two situations:

1) Against the CPU that does nothing to account for speed.
Then you agree, speed does matter too much.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Then you agree, speed does matter too much.
Not exactly... On the surface is seems like SPD is the issue, but if you look a little deeper, you'll see it's not the Speed. Speed doesn't matter too much. But if you play someone that does nothing to counter speed it seems like it matters too much. The CPU won't counter speed.

Case in point:

If you line up in Trips with your fastest WR at the inner position, the CPU is going to cover him 90% of the time with a linebacker. It's not that speed is over represented, but rather the CPU is stupid (for lack of a better word). It won't call a timeout when it sees the mismatch, won't adjust the coverage, won't play over the top with a safety, nor will back off the coverage.

Either of these things would counter the speed mismatch and we can fully expect a human to use these counters (an several others).

So it's not the SPD of players that matters, it's the ineptitude of the CPU adjustments to SPD that matters. With the right adjustments, SPD wouldn't seem to matter so much, but the CPU will not make the proper adjustments...

The only thing the CPU will do to counter speed is bring in extra defensive backs. It won't actually go the necessary step farther and ensure DB's are matched up on WRs. Often the CPU could defend the speed on the field with the players it brings in, but it never does.

Later
Old 08-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Not exactly... On the surface is seems like SPD is the issue, but if you look a little deeper, you'll see it's not the Speed. Speed doesn't matter too much. But if you play someone that does nothing to counter speed it seems like it matters too much. The CPU won't counter speed.
If the CPU doesn't counter speed than speed does matter. You keep contradicting yourself. You keep saying speed doesn't matter and then you give caveats. If the CPU doesn't do anything to counter speed, then speed becomes to powerful and it then matters to much.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 16
Around and around we go...

But really, adjusting speed threshold and lowering catch slider really eliminates the big impact of speed on the game. At least it did on 11 I never felt like I could just send my WR with 97 speed but 72 catching on a fly and just have an easy score
Old 08-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 16
Point being, playing against a human user - impact of speed is negligible and easy to counter

Against CPU - same deal, just done thru slider/setting tweaks. If you're going for realistic you're likely tweaking sliders anyway, and if you're not then it likely doesn't matter to you if speed kills

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »