Home

EA, PLEASE get rid of the psychic O linemen

This is a discussion on EA, PLEASE get rid of the psychic O linemen within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19
EA, PLEASE get rid of the psychic O linemen

One of the easiest way to get pressure on the QB in real life is to confuse the O-line so they don't know who to block or where the pressure is coming from.

But in Madden 12 and NCAA 12, if a defender is set to blitz, the Oline automatically knows where their blitz will take them, and every O-linemen knows exactly where to slide and who to block, ALL pre-snap.

This makes it so that, for the most part, the only way to get any quick pressure on the QB is to overload blitz.

I think a solution for this would be to just increase the blocking AI, WITHOUT making them cheat. Maybe even making O-Linemens' awareness have an effect on blitz-pickup. This would make it so that having a good/highly aware center would actually be HELPFUL, so that he could give out blocking assignments pre-snap, based on what he reads from the defense.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: EA, PLEASE get rid of the psychic O linemen

I think the idea is to have every players awareness be much better, but I think they hit a wall where awareness can only do so much and so they have to plugin solutions so every blitz isn't a sack
Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I agree this is frustrating, as is CB play.

A work around I found in Madden 10 and 11 is to hot route a blitzing defender into a flat or hook zone and manually blitz with him. The AI knows your play an assignments.

For example, in practice and in the 3-4 base defense, call a cover 1 where both OLBs blitz. The O-Line will block a certain way. Now, before the snap hot route one of those OLBs into a zone and manually blitz and see the difference in how they block.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

I'm not sure awareness does anything anymore (unless you're simulating a game). Maybe they can make play recognition work for offensive players, particularly qbs and centers, since from what I understand they are the ones that generally are responsible for blocking assignments.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguel
I'm not sure awareness does anything anymore (unless you're simulating a game). Maybe they can make play recognition work for offensive players, particularly qbs and centers, since from what I understand they are the ones that generally are responsible for blocking assignments.
I have no issues whatsoever getting pressure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM

I have no issues either.

However, with that said, DT stunts and dropping linemen with a blitzing LB are absolutely worthless. Its one of the reason I have always played with a 4 man front. There is no advantage to zone blitzing from a 3-4 scheme in my opinion because the O-line does know who is and is not blitzing most of the time. They do miss blocks occasionally but it is rare that you can get a free blitzer by having a superior play call and not overloading.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I agree this is frustrating, as is CB play.

A work around I found in Madden 10 and 11 is to hot route a blitzing defender into a flat or hook zone and manually blitz with him. The AI knows your play an assignments.

For example, in practice and in the 3-4 base defense, call a cover 1 where both OLBs blitz. The O-Line will block a certain way. Now, before the snap hot route one of those OLBs into a zone and manually blitz and see the difference in how they block.
I know that workaround, but I feel so cheap doing that because when you do, the o-line completely ignores you half the time, so it's the complete opposite end of the spectrum :/
Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Getting pressure isn't the problem. Getting REALISTIC pressure without only being able to use overload blitzes is the problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »