Home

Let's talk about stiff arm !

This is a discussion on Let's talk about stiff arm ! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Let's talk about stiff arm !

It does work and is there. My friend is better at it than me as I never think to use it. It's not as obvious as it was but still quite effective when you time it right. I like it's subtlety myself.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 3

Hey fellas let me try to help out a bit. First, you have to have the right situation for using it which is mainly running out into the open field. As soon as I turn a corner or have caught a pass and I am in open field that is where I start to consider using the "A" button (360). And its gotta be in a one on one situation. Hit it early because we all know how Madden animations are. If you hit the Stiff arm button in the open field when being pursued by a defender usually you will get it to work. If you wait too long and the defender begins his tackle animation its too late, usually you will begin your stiff arm and the defender will still take you down but you will kinda make him pay a bit by landing on him etc. The key is not letting the defender get too close. The other factor seems to be the strength of the HB or WR you are using the stiff arm with. If your offensive guy is strong then you can wait longer and let the defender get closer (almost right against your body) before pushing the guy to the ground. I have found it works better to use it when the guy is right at arms length.
Keep in mind this may vary depending on what teams you guys use. My team is the BUCS so I have Blount running the ball and hes a horse. Its probably a lot different using a smaller more shifty back but in general the tactics I use tend to work. Realize also that even if executed properly you might still get taken down - if you watch an NFL game you will only see maybe one or two stiff arms a game and sometimes none at all. SO its not something thats going to work every time all game long... or it shouldnt anyway.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 8

Far be it from me to argue - but... I stiff arm all the time. And it works (but not all the time). I'm thinking that many may not see the stiff arm animation because of how subtle it is on Next Gen systems... The back won't actually extend his arm unless there is a defender in the proximity.

First, when you tap the stiff arm button, your ball carrier will switch the ball to his other arm. If players are taping the button, it explains why they aren't also seeing the stiff-arm.

Second, when you hold the button the back will lift the arm without the ball and run with his arm at the READY to stiff arm. If you meet someone right, you can catch them in the face and throw the would-be tackler to the ground.

Lastly, some stiff arm moves work to throw defenders off while others work to push away from defenders. Case in point: I play with the Panthers. Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart are both decent backs, but they stiff arm differently. Stewart has a power stiff arm that tends to mow tacklers down, while Williams elusive stiff arm gets him a few feet farther from big hits.

Beware though... A Stiff Arm is susceptible to fumbles because the ball is only held with one arm. If a player comes in with a strip tackle, especially from the rear while you're pressing the stiff arm button the ball is more likely to pop out.

I'll see if I can find some videos of a good stiff arm as soon as things calm down a bit.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
Rookie

aceoye's Arena

OVR: 4

all you have to do is press and hold it while running if you think someone might catch you, dont press it while your getting tackled press and hold it before
Old 08-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

its there, it seems to me that the animation now is different. the ps2 stiff arm where you kept the tackler at bay with an extended arm is gone or i have not seen it next gen...

it was replaced with an animation where you shove the tackler's face in the ground while hopping over him, it also seems auto as well

i could be wrong

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 08-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5

I think they should have both kind in the game for small backs and big power backs
Old 08-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
its there, it seems to me that the animation now is different. the ps2 stiff arm where you kept the tackler at bay with an extended arm is gone or i have not seen it next gen...
Yes. You're correct. But if a back were running down the field with his arm stretched out, defenders would just grab his arm to tackle him.

The NG stiff arm keeps the elbow tight to the ball carrier's body and only extends it when a defender is in reach. Ultimately, it gives a defender less to grab.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #16
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Keep this in mind: pressing "stiff arm" will switch the ball to an outside arm if not already there. So if you're about to stiff arm a guy and the arm he'd use has the ball, he's going to switch the ball first. Get in the habit of pressing A to switch that ball ahead of time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »