Home

What makes you happy with a Madden game?

This is a discussion on What makes you happy with a Madden game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
What makes you happy with a Madden game?

Look back at past madden's you liked and describe what made you happy/ enjoyed playing.

For me an immersive franchise mode is one thing. The other, probably more important thing is stats. I can live with some lame animations as long as in the end I get realistic stats. My biggest gripe in next gen is that I get way too many out of control offensive games. When I play a chise my user teams get way too many yards for and against and points for and against.

This year's demo offers some promise, but even there playing 20 minute games (roughtly 50-60 plays) I'm getting 21-20 games alot as well as 200-250 yards per team...what is that going to look like when I get the NFL average 120 plays per game?
While I don't like DB's that don't track the ball or other bad animations, I could live with it if the results stat-wise are realistic.

What about you?

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: What makes you happy with a Madden game?

I don't know how to say this, but for me to be happy with Madden again I'd probably have to stop coming to this site. Back in the day, I was completely content with Madden, going 16-0, breaking every record every season and winning the Super Bowl easily. Then I found operationsports. I love this website because it kind of saved me from myself, but it is impossible for me to come to this website without ruining the game experience. All the problems Madden has are one thing, but to be constantly reminded is what really ruined it for me. It's kind of like I never noticed some things, but now I can never unnotice them. I don't blame the site, it's just kind of the way things worked out for me. So if I were to ever become happy with Madden again, I would have to see excellent reviews, and never visit the Madden section of this website again haha.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 08-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Fun ..

{10 char}
Old 08-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
I don't know how to say this, but for me to be happy with Madden again I'd probably have to stop coming to this site. Back in the day, I was completely content with Madden, going 16-0, breaking every record every season and winning the Super Bowl easily. Then I found operationsports. I love this website because it kind of saved me from myself, but it is impossible for me to come to this website without ruining the game experience. All the problems Madden has are one thing, but to be constantly reminded is what really ruined it for me. It's kind of like I never noticed some things, but now I can never unnotice them. I don't blame the site, it's just kind of the way things worked out for me. So if I were to ever become happy with Madden again, I would have to see excellent reviews, and never visit the Madden section of this website again haha.

I totally understand that...When I was new here for Madden 09's release, I thought the game was pretty good because..you know, I didn't know any better. Madden was Madden. I found out so many glitches and bugs that I would have probably never seen, it ruined it for me. After that I learned to take a week or so off from the boards around release. When I come back, I trust my opinion will not change based on others thoughts.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

I play Madden for several reasons:

1) I love to compete

When it comes to the competition on Madden - I'm unaware of any video game that matches it. I might get shot in CoD, but I won't care. But if I lose a Madden game - I don't sleep too well. No other game - past or present - holds the same 'Oomph' that Madden does. I realized this in 1999 after playing EVERY football game in the genre. Once I discovered that only Madden provided me with the competition I crave I stopped playing other games. I haven't played another football game on any platform since.

2) 24/7/365

Since online play began, no matter when I'm feeling like playing a game, there's a game available. Whether it's at a local tournament, a release party (like the one I'm hosting in Ann Arbor, MI on Aug 29th), or online... Somebody is waiting to see these Panthers. Did I mention clothing is optional? My NFL regular season NEVER ENDS!!!

3) NFL is the only SPORT - everything else is a game

Unlike many sports gamers that enjoy several sports, I only care about the NFL. Don't talk to me about the NBA, NHL, MLB, or FIFA... I refuse to watch other sports. I don't even watch football at the high school or collegiate levels. IMO, if you aren't in THE LEAGUE you aren't a football player. Needless to say, I got my first glimpse of Cam Newton two days ago.

4) X's and O's

I'm a fiend for the nuts and bolts of football. I read books by real coaches, take their thought process, and translate their philosophies to the electronic gridiron. I keep a journal, record my games, watch my own film, and make every effort to ensure I am the most knowledgeable and prepared player I can be.

5) Relationships

When I was in college 20 years ago, Madden was part of my bonding ritual. To this day, those relationships remain strong. Indeed, I find it hard to relate to people that don't play Madden, or at the very least, enjoy NFL football. We may have other things in common, but I'm not going to want to talk to them unless we have FOOTBALL in common. I won't even date a woman that doesn't like football. But if someone is a Madden/NFL fan, we can be the best of friends (unless they like the Cowboys - in which case they will NOT LIKE ME...lol).

---

Gotta love this game - or you won't like me.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
I totally understand that...When I was new here for Madden 09's release, I thought the game was pretty good because..you know, I didn't know any better. Madden was Madden. I found out so many glitches and bugs that I would have probably never seen, it ruined it for me. After that I learned to take a week or so off from the boards around release. When I come back, I trust my opinion will not change based on others thoughts.
I will probably try this. I'm not sure if I'll get 12 just because the commentary is supposed to be overhauled in 13. But if I wait for one thing, I'll be waiting for something else next year so it may just be best to bite the bullet. Another problem now for me is where Madden used to be a day 1 purchase every year, it's basically been replaced by Call of Duty. And with a huge year for gaming (Uncharted, Batman, Call of Duty, Gears,NBA 2k12 all of which I will most likely get), it's an issue of when I'll be able to play it. I'll get about 3 weeks of play until Gears comes out, and Madden may never see the outside of its case again. At that point, its an issue of is it worth the $60.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

madden 08, loved the weapons system, the cpu could run the ball very well, and it felt fresh... even though the player models were bad IMO, it was still fun

this year: one element will decide if i keep it after i gamefly it.

how the cpu executes the teams gameplan/real life identity on offense and defense

if the cpu use their super stars, i read some where a dev said they implemented a fantasy system, it was the answer to a question we had of the hot cold streaks, i was afraid in years past most superstars didnt get enough touches. Ex. in yrs past fitz would get 2 passes thrown his way, this year according to the devs he may get 10+ targets so he can get his numbers.

if this is not implemented, every spuerstar WR will be cold while every slot WR is hot as hell.

#18 greatest EVA....

Last edited by carnalnirvana; 08-15-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
Look back at past madden's you liked and describe what made you happy/ enjoyed playing.

For me an immersive franchise mode is one thing. The other, probably more important thing is stats. I can live with some lame animations as long as in the end I get realistic stats. My biggest gripe in next gen is that I get way too many out of control offensive games. When I play a chise my user teams get way too many yards for and against and points for and against.

This year's demo offers some promise, but even there playing 20 minute games (roughtly 50-60 plays) I'm getting 21-20 games alot as well as 200-250 yards per team...what is that going to look like when I get the NFL average 120 plays per game?
While I don't like DB's that don't track the ball or other bad animations, I could live with it if the results stat-wise are realistic.

What about you?
I'm pretty much the same. All I want is a low scoring defensive game where TDs feel like a genuine achievement. That's probably why I don't mind too much about DB and Lb being overpowered/psychic at times. It's not ideal but anything that stops scoring can only help. Obviously it would be better if there were other ways to do this but I can accept a bit of "cheating" occasionally if it's helping to keep scores low. Hopefully this year things will be better in this regard with the improvements to defense. I know I have trouble scoring on the demo, I just hope I don't end up adjusting and racking up points again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »