Home

Are field goals totally messed up?

This is a discussion on Are field goals totally messed up? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Are field goals totally messed up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
How would you propose making kicking any harder? You can make the meter move faster or shrink the target area... but it's still just timed button presses. Anyone who plays video games with any regularity *will* master it in fairly short order.

The only solution I've got would be to make it completely automated and rely on player ratings... but then you just have people screaming about the computer cheating them any time they lose a game on a missed kick.
I 100% percent agree .. I don't think it can ever be user controlled and difficult at the same time .. in the end it will always be some sort of timing meter and it will eventually be mastered by most ..
Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

I seriously can't make a fg. Never have had any issue with kicking fgs and have been playing since 1988 when the game was called john madden football lol. It's not because I'm old either.....

It doesn't have to do with kicker accuracy. That would be cool though if kickers jus randomly miss. But It's something I'm doing or something changed. I angle the kick. press the button to start the meter. Hit it again in hte red for full power then press it again on the yellow marker on the way down. Kick goes wide. Maybe I'm angling it too much and hte angle thing is just really sensitive this year?

Last edited by Celtic34; 08-17-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #19
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic34
I seriously can't make a fg. Never have had any issue with kicking fgs and have been playing since 1988 when the game was called john madden football lol. It's not because I'm old either.....

It doesn't have to do with kicker accuracy. That would be cool though if kickers jus randomly miss. But It's something I'm doing or something changed. I angle the kick. press the button to start the meter. Hit it again in hte red for full power then press it again on the yellow marker on the way down. Kick goes wide. Maybe I'm angling it too much and hte angle thing is just really sensitive this year?
You should be aiming for a WHITE thick line.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #20
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

I for one would quite enjoy a true player field goal percentage, where there are ratings for accuracy within a certain range and the game automates the field goal based on those ratings, much like the true player free throw percentage in 2k basketball. Only as an option though, because I would understand why a lot of people wouldn't like giving up that control. Just my opinion.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 08-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
You should be aiming for a WHITE thick line.

That's what I'm doing. YEah white. Not yellow. My bad. I thought it was yellow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #22
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Ya I've had my arrow lineup and almost in the white line and my field goal still would go wide right of left sometime. But I guess it is according to ratings now with the kicking game. But again this seems more real aswell. I'm loving the new kicking system. Makes the game more exciting and all. I have no problem with it.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
some people have said the last button press doesn't register correctly for them. It does for me. That might be your problem.
The demo has an issue with the kick meter on kicks when the 2nd press (accuracy) is activated AFTER the target area (white stripe). Being late a little means it's not registered at all, where being early or on time is unaffected.

I seriously doubt this issue will be in the retail version. It was probably fixed months ago because I didn't hear anyone mention anything about it in the E3 build.

Later
Old 08-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

I have two ideas to make the kicking accuracy actually matter:

First idea:
1.) Keep the user input aspect of the kicking system exactly the way it is now.
2.) After you have lined up the kick and stopped the meter... move it a random distance based on the kicker's accuracy. So, if your kicker has 100 KAC, the trajectory is exactly where you controlled it. If he has 65 KAC, while you may have lined up the kick and stopped the meter PERFECTLY... hold your breath and hope it's close.

Second idea:
Since it's all about the timing... Have KAC affect the timing. 100 KAC and it's a smooth downswing to the ideal white line on the kicking meter. 65 KAC, and the speed of the downswing varies *during the downswing*. So, the meter will randomly accelerate and/or slow down on it's way to the accuracy stop-point.

I much prefer the first, as the second sounds like it could be frustrating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »