Home

how does madden determ there ratings?

This is a discussion on how does madden determ there ratings? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
how does madden determ there ratings?

I have a question where the hell does madden get there ratings from? Example Juilo Jones killed the combine ran a 4:34 his rating is 94 speed 90 acc. Now Torey Smith ran a 4:41 his rating is 92 speed 97 acc. Some body fill me in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Rookie

KCsFinest5's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: how does madden determ there ratings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeufumble
I have a question where the hell does madden get there ratings from? Example Juilo Jones killed the combine ran a 4:34 his rating is 94 speed 90 acc. Now Torey Smith ran a 4:41 his rating is 92 speed 97 acc. Some body fill me in.
In my opinion, the rating gurus look at a few aspects. Part of it is the hard stats (shuttle time, 40 time), but part of it is also an "eye" test. How fast does a player look in pads in relation to the defenders? How fast does a player look against his peers? And the biggest determinate of ratings like speed, where are the results? Basically, how good the player performs will go a long way in increasing stats in Madden.

That's been my view of the ratings for a while.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeufumble
The speed is always a controversial attribute. There's a huge difference between 40 speed and game speed. Perfect example of this is Jerry Rice. I think he ran like a 4.5 or 4.6 but his game speed was phenomenal and he would rarely get ran down from behind in the open field. Honestly, I think the 40 is an overrated evaluator because very rarely in the NFL are you going to be able to run, unhindered over that sort of distance.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCsFinest5
In my opinion, the rating gurus look at a few aspects. Part of it is the hard stats (shuttle time, 40 time), but part of it is also an "eye" test. How fast does a player look in pads in relation to the defenders? How fast does a player look against his peers? And the biggest determinate of ratings like speed, where are the results? Basically, how good the player performs will go a long way in increasing stats in Madden.
Agreed. To make these ratings, someone must watch tons of film - every play from every game - and set the ratings so that players perform as close to their real life counterparts within the framework of the electronic environment.

Hopefully, ratings help players preform similar to their real life counterparts.

Later
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

In reality they will never give put players TRUE ratings in because if they did, majority of the players in the game would never be rated 90 in anything.

Then you would have die hard fans of a player up and arms over you gave my guy only 86 speed, he should be 94 speed. Or you gave my QB only a 82 THA, he should be 99 THA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Donny, the "ratings guru" does them and they are all pretty much one mans opinion. Across the board he does OK, but there are tons of ratings that leave you scratching your head because its obvious to the average fan they are completrly wrong.

This has been a big beef with me forever as there is no way 1 guy can accurately rate everyone. Personal bias, ESPN coverage, and many other thing come into the equation. I think if they had an actual team to determine and argue these ratings, there would be a lot less questionable ratings.

people will still complain, but it would be a more accepted process knowing that more that 1 persons opinion and bias was going into determining the ratings.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Pretty much everything they do is one man's opinion. Hopefully since they suppose to be doubling the size of the staff, they can have more teams put together and not leaving it soley up to ONE person.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 25

40 time is the most bogus stat in the history of the NFL. Guys train for months to get the faster 40 time when in reality 40 time doesn't translate into much in the NFL. How often do you see a player run 40 yards in a straight line without contact from another player? The single most important trait at the combine is shuttle run. That translates favorably to cutting and stopping and starting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »