Home

If other games were scrutinized like Madden.......

This is a discussion on If other games were scrutinized like Madden....... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #105
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: If other games were scrutinized like Madden.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleStud
Ok well what i'm saying is if Madden had done for football what 2K has done with basketball then I doubt Madden would be scrutinized as much and it all comes down to COMPETITION. NBA2K is a great example of it. I aint gonna get into all the details of it but obviously 2K won that sh*t and to be honest although I'm buying Madden 12 cause they got enough of it right to warrant a purchase but to me, if there HAD to be one. The exclusivity deal went to the wrong game.
couldn't have said it better
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #106
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Feature set I buy. Gameplay I just don't see. I absolutely hated the gameplay on the previous generation versions. Talk about exploitable arcade experience. Maybe it's just me.

Although if they start adding HC stuff to madden then the feature set argument for me dies as well.
The overall gameplay is as arcade as it was back then. Zig zag running, overpowered jukes and turn on a dime lack of momentum is still as much a part of the game as ever. Invididual coverage assignments, the passing game andplayer control like the ability to choose when my player goes for the swat or int are huge imo. I honestly have a hard time finding areas where current madden is better. Possibly run blocking, but line interaction overall is terrible on both versions.

Not saying ps2 puts the nexgen to shame but I feel like I can make a case that it's better.

Last edited by kjcheezhead; 08-21-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #107
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Where was Offline and Online franchise the start of this gen? Saying these major modes took a huge step backwards is not at all subjective.

Nobody made any statement on whether someone should or should not like the game. Has absolutely nothing to do with whether the game took steps backwards going to this gen or not. Again, where was offline and online franchise? Doesn't matter whether you use those modes or not, or whether a particular person enjoys the game or not. Those things went backwards non the less. That's NOT a subjective statement.

Depending on what statement someone is trying to make. I like the game, or I don't like the game is subjective. That's not right or wrong. The game took big steps backwards is not subjective. Again, where was offline and online franchise. Maybe a particular person doesn't care about those areas, but they still too HUGE steps backwards. They are major portions of the game. That's NOT subjective or opinion. Not sure why that is difficult to grasp.

If they are ignoring MAJOR portions of the game when trying to make broad statements, then they are taking a narrow view of the game. Has nothing to do with right or wrong, that's just fact.

It would be like me totally ignoring gameplay features that are missing and saying they aren't missing.
Very strongly to agree to disagree with you on this. Not even in the same ballpark.

You are looking at one year, I'm looking at overall. These folks(my friends and relatives) really could care less about what happened 7 yrs ago, it's all about the now for them. Online franchise is there for them in the now, they don't care about what happened 7yrs ago. They can't change what happened almost a decade ago.

I think it's a narrow view on your part to judge people without knowing them.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #108
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Was, key word.

It is subjective(the game up to this point, not 7 yrs ago) depending on how you use the game and what type of player you are.

Just because you don't think the game isn't where it could be , doesn't mean others can't have an opinion on why and how they they like the game.

Again, they aren't wrong and you aren't wrong. Not sure why that is difficult to grasp. It's wrong to you, it's not wrong to them. Is that ok with you?

Just to sit there and call people you don't know that they have a narrow view of the game, just isn't right.
It is subjective, and it works both ways. This thread is about why madden recieves so much scrutiny. If people feel EA still can't deliver the same experience or better than they themselves did 7 years ago then I think it's fair to complain.

You don't have to agree with them and your friends and relatives are free to go on enjoying the game you have now. Imo the complaining is what got us improved tackling, improved zone defense, individual coverage assignments and a much deeper offline franchise added to this years game so for that I'm thankful for all those that hated Madden 11's casual gamer approach as much as I did...and let EA know it.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #109
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
It is subjective, and it works both ways. This thread is about why madden recieves so much scrutiny. If people feel EA still can't deliver the same experience or better than they themselves did 7 years ago then I think it's fair to complain.

You don't have to agree with them and your friends and relatives are free to go on enjoying the game you have now. Imo the complaining is what got us improved tackling, improved zone defense, individual coverage assignments and a much deeper offline franchise added to this years game so for that I'm thankful for all those that hated Madden 11's casual gamer approach as much as I did...and let EA know it.
Did it come across that I have an issue with those complaining? I hope not, because that wasn't the intention.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #110
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

To me, the very simple things that allowed for great gameplay and immersion in say, Madden 05 on the PS2, is what did it for me. I had my best gaming experiences in those Madden 2003-2007 years with the old-gen. But to find that some of those basic, simple things were just plain left out of the next-gen was purely disappointing to me. So much so that I have not purchased Madden out of my own pockets since Madden 08. All the screwy things that would happen when I would rent the game first to check it out, made me not want to purchase it for the 60 bucks. This coming from a guy who LOVED to play NCAA and Madden on offline franchise and dynasty modes. Now, I can't stand it. They really killed Madden gaming for me when they streamlined things in franchise, catered to the casual gamers, and didn't do their due diligence in creating physics that worked as well as they did in the old-gen. Heck, in the old gen you used to be able to move smoothly and use that good-old D-pad for control of your player. Now, it seems like simply trying to run straight down the field is impossible at times with some of the next-gen Madden versions. I hope that a lot got fixed, and I'm sure it has been, but they already lost me. And until they say enough and do enough to change my opinion otherwise, I will keep renting, get disappointed, and return without a permanent purchase. Thanks EA.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 08-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #111
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Very strongly to agree to disagree with you on this. Not even in the same ballpark.
And exactly what are you disagreeing with?

1) Major features were taken out and are slowly being reintroduced on this gen?
2) Major features being removed is taking steps backwards?
3) If EA went with a different strategy, they could be enhancing and adding instead of reintroducing?

So which of these do you strongly disagree with?

Quote:
You are looking at one year, I'm looking at overall. These folks(my friends and relatives) really could care less about what happened 7 yrs ago, it's all about the now for them. Online franchise is there for them in the now, they don't care about what happened 7yrs ago. They can't change what happened almost a decade ago.
The subject is why does EA/TIB/Madden get criticism as compared to other games. Decisions EA/TIB/Madden have made on this Gen, almost a decade IS a reason why they get criticism. And that the game could be so much farther along IS why it gets criticism. That's just answering the OP's question. It really doesn't matter that you're only looking at this year vs recent releases. You being satisfied with EA/TIB/Maddens progress from last year to this year is a completely different topic. And nobody is telling your friends to not be satisfied with the improvements from last year to this year. Again, that's a completely different topic.

Quote:
I think it's a narrow view on your part to judge people without knowing them.
If your friends are judging whether Maddens did or did not take a big step backwards on this gen all because they don't use or care about the major features that are missing, then I don't have to know them to think that is taking a narrow view.

So, are your friends saying that major features were not removed from Madden at the start of this gen?

Do your friends think they are not reintroducing features that previously existed?

Or do your friends think that with Major features being taken out of a game with few features added doesn't take a game backwards? Like in 06?

Do your friend think that if features were not removed, the game would still be where it is today? That EA/TIB wouldn't have been able to put the time they have been in reintroducing previous features into adding, enhancing new features?

Really, it's OK for you to only look at now. But whats happened up to now IS why EA/Madden gets it's criticism. And what of any of what I've posted would you and your friends disagree with. Please address and be specific to the things I'm bringing up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #112
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

Quote:
Did it come across that I have an issue with those complaining? I hope not, because that wasn't the intention.
That is the impression that I got, if I misunderstood you I apologize.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »