Home

If other games were scrutinized like Madden.......

This is a discussion on If other games were scrutinized like Madden....... within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
How SDS Can Improve the 'Full Minors' Feature for MLB The Show 21
Top 10 Shootout Players to Fear in NHL 21
Skatebird Preview - Updated Hands-On With New Rooftop Level
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: If other games were scrutinized like Madden.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
.....they'd get blasted as well. I was reminded of this in another discussion where other games (non sports) were brought up.

I have played some other games in depth although I'm not a big gamer overall...mostly madden.....but there are some popular titles I've played and either finished or got fed up with and returned (probably because I sucked) but as I played one last night I felt compelled to comment on things I notice.

Yes Madden has it's issues with warping and psychic DB's and poor crowd representation (graphically and auditorialy - sp?) but so do these other games.
Wouldn't the real question be, did those other games take HUGE LEAPS BACKWARDS in what they previously provided?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
What's funny is that if you go into any other game's board there are many in the vocal minority who complain incessantly about those games as well. Then to see people here who've obviously never been to those boards prop up certain games as perfect is just hilarious.

Remember the old saying "no matter how perfect or beautiful a woman is, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her crap." That's videogaming.
Wouldn't Madden be more like starting out with a perfectly beautiful woman in HS, and she quickly goes from beautiful princess to ugly hag? Because that's what Madden did going to this gen console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkevin
The problem is that last gen madden did some things better as well as the nfl2k series and other football games than this gen madden. Plus, they have an exclusive license of the nfl for this whole gen
The criticism maybe a little over the top but justified.
Here. This guy gets to the actual problem on why there is so much criticism. Don't you think there would have been far less criticism if Madden had actually IMPROVED each and every year, and if there was competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Dozer
Every game is scrutinized. As a WoW (world of warcraft) player, I think it's easily the best MMO on the market. But you visit the official forums and it's 90% whining and OMG this game is dying.

Gamers are a whiny breed.
Did WOW, going from one year to the next, strip out game play to the bare minimum and call that a release? People don't complain about Madden just to do it. They have earned the criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I'm almost positive that every sports game has things that aren't as good as their competitions.
And how many sports games go from very robust to MINIMAL functionality in a cycle with out getting criticism. Come on guys. If you're going to make the comparison, make an accurate one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpmar9x
It's impossible to make everyone happy. I feel like people go into Madden looking for things wrong, instead of just having fun playing. People just need to chill and enjoy the game.
How about the expectations of the developers/decision makers not taking HUGE steps backwards just to slowly add features back in?

I think some people go to great lengths to defend the game no matter what. How about being realistic and making some realistic comparisons. I mean really, how many games go from robust to bear minimum w/o getting criticized?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

I just don't see how the game has taken "HUGE STEPS BACKWARDS".

I actually think it's taken steps forwards each year, at least in the past few years, but I really don't think it took steps backwards. It just didn't take as big of steps forwards as people expected.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 08-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I just don't see how the game has taken "HUGE STEPS BACKWARDS".

I actually think it's taken steps forwards each year, at least in the past few years, but I really don't think it took steps backwards. It just didn't take as big of steps forwards as people expected.
From Madden previous to this GEN you didn't see Madden get stripped to bare bones and then slowly recover? Did you play Madden previous to this gen?

Improved each year on this gen, sure. But so far they have only been adding back WHAT WAS ALREADY IN THE GAME. And in some areas, online franchise, they are still behind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 8

Madden doesn't get talked about in a bad way cause people have nothing better to do....Some people might just talk trash cause they hate ea for killing out 2k but the fact is MOST people bash Madden cause of the things that madden has did....First off we have real tackling in 12 right? well 2008 had it down as good as this year they remove stuff for a few years and then they bring it back as a new add to the game when it's REALLY old...I don't look for all the small stuff to fuss about and nit-pick every little thing I see cause it gets nowhere I did with (Fight Night,2kbaseball,Nba Live) so now I just have fun playing the game.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 0

"other games" don't claim to be things that they are not. when a new GTA comes out they don't make ridiculous claims like "true to real life". when a new Call of Duty comes out they don't claim that it's "what you see in real life combat". If Madden was marketed as a "fun arcade experience" there would be less criticism.

I see absolutely no reason why a self imposed time limit is a good reason for any of the glitches or bugs making it into the game. They don't HAVE to put out a new game every year, that's their choice. You know why other games don't have 1 year deadlines? Because it's not enough time.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Here is my take...I think Madden is scrutinized heavily due to both its fan base and in some parts EA.

For one people are passionate about Madden and football and they expect greatness from Madden. People also think Football games should be exactly like real life and not just a video game replicating the sport. In this age of the internet and message boards, people have an easier timer bashing things and even threatening developers or wishing harm upon them. Along with this people have more access than ever before to watch glitches or issues with the game (I am pretty sure Madden 05 had some glitches in it somewhere)

EA also could be to blame a little as well. They purchased the exclusive license form the NFL (I know the NFL approach them, but they bought it knowing criticism would follow). Also, they hype the game up each year with blogs, promotions, etc saying how they changes this or upgraded this and build everyone's hope up (sometimes they deliver other times they dont--but people get their hopes way up and then they get emotional when their hopes aren't realized). Also, removing previous features and then a few years later adding them back in and touting them as new always gets people a little mad. Finally, EA removing once over hyped feature and have it never return (Passing Cone, Pro-Tak, Madden IQ, etc). They say they spent all this development time creating this new feature that only lasts a year or two and then it is discarded, so people get mad they wasted development time on some gimmick..

This is just my 2 cents...I personally know it is just a video game and I dont get my hopes up too high. If I have fun playing, which I do then the game is worth the purchase. Do i wish it could be more, sure, but its playable to me and for now I can enjoy it
Old 08-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

As much as people want it, their will never be that perfect video game. Its almost impossible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60

I think some people go to great lengths to defend the game no matter what. How about being realistic and making some realistic comparisons. I mean really, how many games go from robust to bear minimum w/o getting criticized?
this is due to the inability of most people to be objective. It goes in the other direction too. The problem with guys who blindly defend the game or tiburon for that matter, is that they are doing it because they are not seeing the game as it really is as opposed to how they WANT to see it. Everyone wants madden to be great again. The fact is that it's not "great". It's ok. The improvements come in drips and drabs each year and usually at the expense of something else. Then there are excuses upon excuses that get fed to the consumer base. For those who say that competition won't change much, that's ludicrous. Just look at what happened in 2004. 2k introduced online leagues and ea scrambled to add theirs as well shortly after. It also lowered the prices. Imagine that... Other sports games are pushing the envelope and raising the bar. Madden struggles just keeping pace with what's barely acceptable. It's a shame too because there is so much potential too. The ea marketing machine will dictate what gets left out to create hype for the next year. It is what it is and it won't ever end. Once this season is over you can expect the NFL to extend the exclusive for a long long time. Maybe in 10 years we will actually have real penalties, proper player movement, a working challenge system and sliders for online franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »