Home

If other games were scrutinized like Madden.......

This is a discussion on If other games were scrutinized like Madden....... within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #25
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: If other games were scrutinized like Madden.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
There have been 2 sports franchises (NBA 2k and MLB the show) that have made a smooth transition to next gen. In both cases, they basically created an HD remake of their last gen game for the initial release on the HD systems, before slowly improving the visuals while adjusting gameplay. Every other game that started from scratch has had bigtime struggles, with some franchises (such as winning eleven and NHL 2k) never coming close to their past glories.

It's been pretty common across the board, actually. Either it takes forever to release the first HD version of a long running series (see: final fantasy and gran turismo), or it gets released quickly and flops (see: mercenaries and perfect dark).
this dude gets it......COMPLETELY agree brotha!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #26
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I think Madden is intensely scrutinized but not because it's "EA's Madden", it's because of a mixture of obvious factors.

I don't expect any more from Madden than I do from any other gaming title. I want a game, true to it's genre, that I can enjoy. Since Madden is supposed to be a sports simulation game and not an arcade sports game, my enjoyment is mostly based on how well it emulates the real life sport.

With all games, reasonable people can understand the limitations of representing all reality in a video game, like not being able to enter every house and characters not having to use the restroom, while still wanting a certain standard of realism.

That standard is raised higher when dealing with simulation games because, while being compared to other video games, they will ultimately be compared to the real thing. Then, raised even higher still for sports simulation, considering how fanatical sports fans are about their favorite teams and sports. Then, taken off the charts by there only being one company that is legally allowed to simulate their favorite teams and sport. That's where Madden's scrutiny becomes unique to other games by simple cause and effect.

Finally, with all the above factors leading to intense scrutiny of EA's handling of Madden, they set expectations for the game each year, with statements that, often have not "panned out".

If OS became the only forum licensed by EA where Madden would officially be discussed and EA devs were instructed to interact with members, there would be more scrutiny of how OS handles forums.

There are more things that come with exclusivity than just potential number increases and sole access. Being more scrutinized for how things are done, also comes with the territory.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 08-21-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #27
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
There have been 2 sports franchises (NBA 2k and MLB the show) that have made a smooth transition to next gen. In both cases, they basically created an HD remake of their last gen game for the initial release on the HD systems, before slowly improving the visuals while adjusting gameplay. Every other game that started from scratch has had bigtime struggles, with some franchises (such as winning eleven and NHL 2k) never coming close to their past glories.

It's been pretty common across the board, actually. Either it takes forever to release the first HD version of a long running series (see: final fantasy and gran turismo), or it gets released quickly and flops (see: mercenaries and perfect dark).
But at the same time, The Show and NBA 2k both have things in their games that counterparts did better than they did, which is one of the things everyone says is so bad about Madden.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
A little?

EA Approached the NFL first. For a few years. I think people are upset at both EA and the NFL for taking away competition.

I think this is your "little" from above.

This to me is where EA deserves most of it's criticism. Especially the bold part. Plus, the "funablility" arcade feel vs more realism.
That doesnt change the fact that the NFL decided to put their license up for auction, if your mad about the exclusive license be mad at the NFL for doing it and 2K for not bidding high enough. EA gets no blame.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #29
Closer

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
From Madden previous to this GEN you didn't see Madden get stripped to bare bones and then slowly recover? Did you play Madden previous to this gen?

Improved each year on this gen, sure. But so far they have only been adding back WHAT WAS ALREADY IN THE GAME. And in some areas, online franchise, they are still behind.
Yes and I HATED it previous gen. It hasn't taken a step back IMO, it's simply just remained madden.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
Rookie

I think Madden took a step back coming to this gen. Its getting better and better but also took bumps along the road. Point number 1 the fact that there were no consecutive hit and double hit tackles in Madden 11 is a HUGE bump IMO. That shouldnt have been something added this year, they should have been expanding even more on tackling by now.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #31
Closer

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
care to hear my rant about the 2k baseball license & how that fiasco pushed me to buy a PS3 just so I could play a baseball game?......think about that......I essentially bought a 300.00 baseball game. LOL

grass ain't much greener over at 2k sports these days
That was the impetus for my PS3 purchase as well. MLB 2k is an awful franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
That was the impetus for my PS3 purchase as well. MLB 2k is an awful franchise.
Sole reason I still have a PS3.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »