Home

If other games were scrutinized like Madden.......

This is a discussion on If other games were scrutinized like Madden....... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
If other games were scrutinized like Madden.......

.....they'd get blasted as well. I was reminded of this in another discussion where other games (non sports) were brought up. Anyone here that knows me knows I'm not a Madden apologist (I've griped ad nauseum about franchise mode and still do) but that I'm an avid player who actually ENJOYS the game each year despite it's flaws (because it still does some things right).

I have played some other games in depth although I'm not a big gamer overall...mostly madden.....but there are some popular titles I've played and either finished or got fed up with and returned (probably because I sucked) but as I played one last night I felt compelled to comment on things I notice.

Yes Madden has it's issues with warping and psychic DB's and poor crowd representation (graphically and auditorialy - sp?) but so do these other games. I've had games where the character swims faster that a boat could be rowed, able to scale a wall like spiderman (and he's not spiderman), run around a city and not be able to enter any buildings, be killed and come back to life 1000x (talk about unrealistic - most first person shooters require you to suspend your belief in mortality - of course the bad guys don't come back to life when you do them in), storms that appear out of nowhere.......

I could go on and on....the fact is EVERY game has flaws and lacks "real life" performance yet we seem to accept them far more than Madden's...why is that?

And maybe there are sites out there that shred these games as well- I don't know, never visited. But it seems Madden will be criticized for having the wrong facemask on a guy...yet other games have the wrong cars (a new model that wasn't sold until AFTER the time period the game ends in), the wrong weapon, or clothing (wrong uniform say for an Army Ranger - IDK - just saying)....

EA deserves criticism when they make decisions on what is or is not "in the game" without listening to the fans (and kudos this year for adding stuff people have been asking for....even if it's not particularly what I wanted). They deserve criticism for not fixing a problem that occurs year after year. Or for releasing a game with faulty stat engines etc.

THey do face something that most games don't have to deal with...a time limit. Now one could argue that they should hire enough people, spend enough money etc. to get it right within that period...good point. But other than a sports game there are usually no time limits for release. Black ops could have come out 1 month, 2 months or even 6 months later than planned....but Madden has do be done before the NFL season starts...that's a huge factor to me.

Anyway, as usual I'm getting long winded...pardon me.....but let's keep telling EA what we want fixed, added, deleted etc. But let's keep it real folks.....this game holds up for what it is...about as well as any other. Not saying that some aren't better....but as close to real life as most games. Now if they could only bring back Tony Bruno.....

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
What's funny is that if you go into any other game's board there are many in the vocal minority who complain incessantly about those games as well. Then to see people here who've obviously never been to those boards prop up certain games as perfect is just hilarious.

Remember the old saying "no matter how perfect or beautiful a woman is, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her crap." That's videogaming.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: If other games were scrutinized like Madden.......

The problem is that last gen madden did some things better as well as the nfl2k series and other football games than this gen madden. Plus, they have an exclusive license of the nfl for this whole gen, which seems to have made them a little lazy and not innovative. Even though the NFL made the decision to sell the video game nfl license exclusively, it was EA that was pushing the NFL to go exclusive with the license for years prior knowing that they (EA) was the only publisher with the money to outbid anyone else.

The criticism maybe a little over the top but justified.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Rookie

Bull_Dozer's Arena

OVR: 5

Every game is scrutinized. As a WoW (world of warcraft) player, I think it's easily the best MMO on the market. But you visit the official forums and it's 90% whining and OMG this game is dying.

Gamers are a whiny breed.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkevin
The problem is that last gen madden did some things better as well as the nfl2k series and other football games than this gen madden. Plus, they have an exclusive license of the nfl for this whole gen, which seems to have made them a little lazy and not innovative. Even though the NFL made the decision to sell the video game nfl license exclusively, it was EA that was pushing the NFL to go exclusive with the license for years prior knowing that they (EA) was the only publisher with the money to outbid anyone else.

The criticism maybe a little over the top but justified.
I'm almost positive that every sports game has things that aren't as good as their competitions.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Rookie

don28's Arena

OVR: 7

Plenty of people are blasting the NHL series, and those games are VERY good. You just can't please everybody.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by don28
Plenty of people are blasting the NHL series, and those games are VERY good. You just can't please everybody.

Nhl series is only good online, offline I think it's the worst out of all ea games.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Rookie

xpmar9x's Arena

OVR: 0

It's impossible to make everyone happy. I feel like people go into Madden looking for things wrong, instead of just having fun playing. People just need to chill and enjoy the game.

There are some major things that need to be fixed. Like player speed, QBs are way to fast and DL can catch RBs some how. That's my biggest thing that needs updated and then I'll be happy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »