Home

What do you do on defence?

This is a discussion on What do you do on defence? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Rookie

KCsFinest5's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: What do you do on defence?

I would suggest getting good with your safeties. Early on, select plays that only require a safety to sit in middle zone, spy, or blitz. This will ensure that you aren't leaving receivers uncovered on every play. Running downs, play close to the line and lean towards the run. Passing downs, watch the middle of the field and the QB. I'm very effective on D against the computer and (especially) against human players. Master this technique and you'll find yourself enjoying defense more than offense. There isn't anything better than getting a user pick with a safety and taking it to the house.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 24

What do I do? Try and stop the other team from scoring.

Next question...
Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
I have played Madden games casually over the years, but haven't bought a game in a long while. I plan to buy Madden 12, but one thing is bugging me.

I always defence on the game to be a bit boring... I love when I have the ball and I just find myself zoning out slightly when I am on D. I like picking plays and trying to disrupt the offense, but I'm not sure what position to play or what to do to make it more fun.

In theory I like playing as middle linebackers or safeties, but I find that's too hard, as I miss one coverage and the opponent will be able to complete a big pass.

Being a lineman is OK, but I find it gets a bit redundant over and over and there isn't much to do.

Is there an option to sim until your team is back on offense?
What do you guys do when you are on D? What positions do you play and what do you do to make it a bit more interesting and enjoyable, as compard to offense? Any advice would be appreciated!
This is why Madden is the best game ever... Very few people get into what they should do on BOTH sides of the ball. In my experience, I've found a few things to be helpful when I was learning to play defense:

1) User Control

The toughest part about playing defense is reacting to the unknown. You won't have time to remember where the swat button is when you need to swat a deep pass. Like real football, this technique must be instinctive. The less you have to think about which button to press the quicker you can actually press the button. Master your player.

2) Augment coverage

Just because you call a blitz doesn't mean you have to rush everyone that's supposed to rush. Controlling a blitzing player and freelancing is a good way to defend without screwing up your coverage. If you need to switch away, he'll go after the ball carrier.

3) Switch when needed

Knowing when to switch men is an art form. Sometimes you'll be better at making the play, but it's unlikely until you master #1. If you can make the play without switching defenders, do so. Resist the urge to do everything until you are 100% comfortable taking action...

I prefer to play defense to offense, but you can use what you know about one to attack the other. There's very few things that feel better than a USER PICK that you take to the house.

Hope this helps...

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I also am someone who enjoys playing defense. While I wish Madden did a better job of representing football... For example: psychic DBs and offensive linemen can ruin the experience... I still enjoy play calling, pass rushing, run stuffing, and dropping into zone coverage.

Take some time to learn about defense. Read and watch videos about the defensive side of the ball. You may learn to love defense like many of us do.

Reading:
4-3 Defense
3-4 Defense

Videos:
4-3 Defense
3-4 Defense

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »