Home

This man speaks the truth about people's expectations of football games

This is a discussion on This man speaks the truth about people's expectations of football games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #25
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: This man speaks the truth about people's expectations of football games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
The first bullet in yours and Douglas' recap is really funny to me. He says that the game will not be sim because of the God View. OK... then get rid of it...

The Madden is only a game stuff is beyond ridiculous. Thanks for pointing that out. I would not have known otherwise. Since it's only a game, can we give them ray guns and jetpacks too? I mean it's only a game. We shouldn't expect anything to be realistic. That's just insanity
That part made me smh, especially since NCAA has a defensive lock cam which offers a different view and the other game he referenced from 2004 had a helmet cam/first person view option, for all positions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Hey this is EA's game and they can make the game how they want, sim, arcade or whatever they choose. It's then up to us if we wish to purchase it or not. My problem is when stuff is broken or does not work right. We shouldn't be there testers. With that said I have purchased madden and ncaa every year and have had fun playing them except for this year. Why? Because I can't play a dynasty game without it freezing in the 4th quarter. So my game has been shelved pretty much since it came out. My issue isin't what kind if game they made, it's work right so I can play it!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 24

It's all about marketing. The tagline "Everything you see on Sunday" as well as the original "If it's in the game..."

How many times you see an ad for a tv show or movie with a tagline from a reviewer "The funniest show on tv" or "This is the funniest comedy movie of the summer". You may not believe it, but you tune in or go see the movie anyway. They did their job; you watched and/or bought a movie ticket.

Would Madden sell any copies with a tagline such as "It's just a videogame, don't expect much"? No.

We may not believe "everything you see on Sunday", but we buy the game anyway to find out.
EA's been taking steps to make what we want, but there'll always be that minority who are never satisfied.

And I've seen vids of the "other game" where I see morphing and such, yet nobody seems to notice or care.But because EA is the "evil monopoly" in some eyes, they're scrutinized more than other companies.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #28
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I agree with the guy that there'll most likely never be a completely sim football game. After all, these are video games...not video simulators. But oddly enough, they are referred to as "simulation" games.

But I would say this....if I could have been shown the football games of today, ten years ago, I would have been pretty impressed with how the games have advanced graphically. But I think I would have been a bit disappointed with the advancements to the overall AI....in a span of ten years.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #29
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
It's all about marketing. The tagline "Everything you see on Sunday" as well as the original "If it's in the game..."

How many times you see an ad for a tv show or movie with a tagline from a reviewer "The funniest show on tv" or "This is the funniest comedy movie of the summer". You may not believe it, but you tune in or go see the movie anyway. They did their job; you watched and/or bought a movie ticket.

Would Madden sell any copies with a tagline such as "It's just a videogame, don't expect much"? No.

We may not believe "everything you see on Sunday", but we buy the game anyway to find out.
EA's been taking steps to make what we want, but there'll always be that minority who are never satisfied.

And I've seen vids of the "other game" where I see morphing and such, yet nobody seems to notice or care.But because EA is the "evil monopoly" in some eyes, they're scrutinized more than other companies.

If you frequented the forums of the "other" game in its heyday, you would have seen people bringing up issues with that game as well. Why don't you see it the Madden forums? Do I really need to explain this?

There are things that 2K does better than Madden and vice versa. This is the Madden forums. If you want to discuss how Madden could be improved by using something that 2K, or Gameday, or Fever, or Backbreaker does well, then you will name said aspect and discuss how it would benefit Madden. That doesn't mean that you think those games are perfect, it just means that discussing all the ways in which those games are not perfect, in detail, doesn't belong on the Madden forum, and are not relevant, most of the time, to the discussion about how "X" could improve Madden.

2K was not perfect. Now that that is out of the way, when I come across something that they DID do well, that I believe could improve Madden, I will continue to mention it.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 0

guys is an idiot.

he's a madden fanboy. while i agree with him that we should let 2k die, he obviously missed the boat....when 2k was released it was MILES ahead of madden, and was equal or better than madden until madden 2010. that is the 1st madden i played that i thought had surpassed 2k. which is why i not play madden.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 4

my new bandwagon

*BLAME 2K*

they should be working on a non licensed pro football game and leave it open for user customization

they have had several years to do it but instead they made APF in which we didnt even get a true franchise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #32
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I always find it funny the way some people frame the expectations of Madden by others as being unrealistic. I haven't seen any reasonable complaint about Madden that hasn't already been effectively done in some other game. Even in this video, he referenced "god cam" as being a hurdle to the game being a simulation as if that's the only view that will work in Madden. Saying "Madden will never change, get over it", even if true, which I don't believe it is, does not make asking for a "simulation view" option, unrealistic.

The biggest complaints about Madden that I notice, stem from numerous small aspects that are somehow "off". The simplest example of this is defensive pass interference. It's represented in the game but not realistically and this has been done intentionally, according to the devs. Along with pass trajectory, passing mechanics, locomotion, free agent bidding, etc.

The point I am trying to make is, we have developers coming out and basically saying "we could make _____ more realistic but the decision was made not too", for whatever reason. Along with the new GM saying that NOW simulation is "first and foremost" as well as "authenticity being key" but some people still pretend others have lofty expectations.

I wonder if someone posted a bunch of things said about Madden these past 6 years by people at EA that are/have been affiliated with Madden, without quotations, how many people would label those posts "EA hate" and/or "Agenda" driven.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »