Home

Madden 12 Retail Impressions (Graphics/Presentation - NO QUESTIONS/DISCUSSION)

This is a discussion on Madden 12 Retail Impressions (Graphics/Presentation - NO QUESTIONS/DISCUSSION) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #241
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Madden 12 Retail Impressions (Graphics/Presentation - NO QUESTIONS/DISCUSSION)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
The game is very disappointing in the aspect of gameplay and graphics. The franchise mode is improved but the gameplay took a huge step backwards imo. I'm selling my game.
If you think gameplay took a huge step back or even a step back then Madden will never be the game for you so might as well not even buy any more.

Madden this year is better then any previous versions on next gen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #242
Rookie

RL8791's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 12 Retail Impressions (Graphics/Presentation - NO QUESTIONS/DISCUSSION)

There are a lot of glitches in the graphics that I'm hoping EA can patch. Stadium lighting is fouled up in night-time modes. Helmets lose their reflectivity in certain lighting situations. The field rendering of artificial surfaces is horrible.

Audio is bad. Really bad. Sound quality is different for Gus compared to Chris and there are random loud popping noises. Seeing as Gus isn't that much of a treat to listen to anyway, my announcers get turned down to zero. Soundtrack selection seemed designed to ensure you would disable it immediately, also.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #243
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
If you think gameplay took a huge step back or even a step back then Madden will never be the game for you so might as well not even buy any more.

Madden this year is better then any previous versions on next gen.
that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. you right, madden will never be the game for me. I refuse to settle for mediocre arcade-like gameplay year in and year out. the franchise mode is deep and i enjoy it, as long as i sim games and never actually play a down.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #244
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. you right, madden will never be the game for me. I refuse to settle for mediocre arcade-like gameplay year in and year out. the franchise mode is deep and i enjoy it, as long as i sim games and never actually play a down.
You can always save money and buy NFL coach. Since madden is arcadish
Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #245
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL8791
There are a lot of glitches in the graphics that I'm hoping EA can patch. Stadium lighting is fouled up in night-time modes. Helmets lose their reflectivity in certain lighting situations. The field rendering of artificial surfaces is horrible.

Audio is bad. Really bad. Sound quality is different for Gus compared to Chris and there are random loud popping noises. Seeing as Gus isn't that much of a treat to listen to anyway, my announcers get turned down to zero. Soundtrack selection seemed designed to ensure you would disable it immediately, also.
Sorry man, I know Madden's disappointing PS3 owners
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #246
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

On to Graphics and Presentation.

First let's start with graphics. I will just say if your not playing this game on the "Zoom" Camera angle you are not getting the most of of the beautiful player models and outstanding details EA has created with Madden 12. By far this is the best looking Madden in this series storied history. By playing on zoom you see the crystal clear details. The player models are amazing.

The Stadiums look fantastic as well. The fly overs look like your watching an NFL broadcast.

Camera angles galore throughout the broadcast as well. EA really paid attention to details with it's much touted real life camera angles. For the first time in Madden history they are well on the road to giving us a TV style broadcast presentation. Careful detail is on display in all the camera placement in different stadiums. The team entrances are a great touch. Of course they will get old eventually, but I still like that they gave us a taste of what really happens when your at a game with the players running out and the crowd building to a fever pitch. I thought it was a smart route to just have an abbreviated intro as most would never sit through all 11 offensive or defensive starters being announced.

Stats, stats, stats - The new wipes look very good. Slick and containing the vital QB stat's. I also love in franchise it uses current season stats. You will see other players current game stats swiped throughout the broadcast as well.

Play by Play/Color - I have read the outrage for well over a week on Gus Johnson and Chris Collinsworth. I am hear to say yes, the play by play is sub-par. I am also in agreement it feels rushed, and patched together. No question EA paid little attention to this area of the game and it brings down the amazing progress they made visually. But I can tell you there are plenty of new lines from Gus and Chris has a chock full of new game stories/keys to the game that I have heard in my limited time playing the retail copy.

However the lines sometimes come at the wrong moments. You take a pick six and they talk about the CB getting burned. Also the use of numbers half the time vs player names is IMO inexcusable at this stage of the games development. It is extremely annoying when they mention a players real name and then later use his number in the broadcast. Really? Also last night I was sacked and fumbled and the Pat's picked it up and rumbled into the endzone for a score. I was playing at home in Miami. The PAt's were celebrating and the Dolphins fight song was blaring after they scored.....really?

On the bright side the DPP commentary is a great touch. You do hear Gus and Chris talk about DPP moments and when you go to the pause menu it is shown. DPP is a game changer IMO and a major step forward in franchise mode.

Audio - Ok I am very upset about this. PS3 is my system and it has been well documented. The audio popping that occurs from time to time during the game. Really bad. The fact this made it to retail again at this point is inexcusable. I have a very high end 5.1 system and my tweeters are not going to like that sudden surge of clipping. It is unreal this is happening. I hope and pray EA can patch this audio bug. But I don't have a good feeling about that. It may be a mastering issue with the audio files within the disc. But really. Totally piss poor quality control on the audio clipping and a big letdown.

Overall the sounds are great. The Crowd does go through lulls, but all the fight songs are back. Crowd reactions are far better than in NCAA 12.

Some other really nice touches in presentation are the QB's strapping on their chin strap coming to the line, or clapping when running down he clock with victory in sight. Players selling to the refs they made a catch on the sideline or caught a touchdown. Lot's of little touches to be found.

So overall presentation has been upgraded but the shoddy execution of the play by play/color commentary and the audio clipping bring the score down and sabotage a fine graphical and camera angle effort from EA.

Graphics - 9/10 - beautiful player models, stadiums, 3D grass

Play by Play/Color - 5/10 - much more banter than last year which is good, but very poor implementation, bad timing, lack of dynamic commentary really shows Madden is a dinosaur in this area

Audio - 5/10 - the audio clipping is a killer. It takes down all the good as this is something that should never ever make it to retail. Inexcusable.

Overall Presentation/Graphics - 6/10 - fatal audio flaws and shoddy execution of play by play bring down EA's best TV camera angle representation ever in Madden.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 09-08-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #247
MVP

kt-od's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
Yes we reported it, and it blew out my right speaker last night. This was on 360

Incredible
After I read that this damaged your speaker. I went home and checked mine. Yep! Mine is damaged as well. It's completely blown. I'm not happy about this at all! Did EA ever respond to this?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »