Home

Madden 12 Retail Impression (Franchise and Superstar Mode - NO QUESTIONS/DISCUSSION)

This is a discussion on Madden 12 Retail Impression (Franchise and Superstar Mode - NO QUESTIONS/DISCUSSION) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Madden 12 Retail Impression (Franchise and Superstar Mode - NO QUESTIONS/DISCUSSI

Franchise is disappointing... again.

Scouting

There's a reason that scouting has been "broken" the last 3 years. It's because someone was smart enough to realize that if you can't get it to work and make sense, keep it under the radar.

Here's a description of the current scouting system, in real life terms.

The scouting director sends his team of scouts of to watch 20 guys. They've each got 4 weeks to watch the player.

And here's the conversation when the scout returns:

Scouting Director: How's that QB I sent you to watch?

Scout: He's fine.

SC: No, I mean.. how did his arm look?

S: Oh.. I didn't know you wanted me to be scouting his arm.. He's a terrible
field goal kicker.

SC: what?

S: Crap bull rush too, and zone coverage? forget it..

SC: How did you even... doesn't matter.. Tell me how he looked athletically..

S: (blank stare)

SC: Can you tell me anything about his teammates? Or any standouts playing for the opponent?

S: Nope.

SC: Well.. let's do this 4 more times

S: Sure thing, boss.

I could do this for the other stages in scouting, but I'm sure you get the point.. Your scouts at the Indy combine only look at 20(15?) players, ignore everyone else, and don't come back with results table of 40's, bench, L-drill, etc.. Then you go to the schools pro day, and watch just one player, ignoring his teammates.. then finally to get full info on 5 players.

I've tried different ways of doing it, and due to the lack of having an idea past a round projection of where players will be taken, it's absolutely impossible to draft well based on any kind of skill. And the CPU will not draft based on the projection either(which in a better franchise, would be a good thing) So it's essentially a complete crapshoot, and past your second pick you will most likely be picking players based on position/round projection/height/weight/names you like the sound of.. You can't even see age in the draft.

There's also an annoying popup that every 4 weeks warning to you scout players, or the cpu won't do it for you.. this comes up even if you've already scouted the full amount of players you're allowed to scout.

I'm thinking the madden shop will offer the usual scout package to allow you to scout every position perfectly, and I'll buy it without hesitation. But hey, EA, if you need my $10 that badly, just ask, no need for the charade.

Cut Days

Similar problem here.. First off, apparently no team did any scouting for last years draft, because all rookies will show up as ? with no rating in the preseason(not a huge deal, we can look at these rating in the front end menu, it's just another thing that wasn't thought through, which is the theme of franchise) Then, the filler players to push the roster to 75(added by the cpu, not the user) all have no relevant attributes listed either, since, apparently the coaches weren't paying attention during the weeks of practice.. No stats fill in after the first game, so your first 3 cuts are made blind.. and the attributes slowly trickle in after that completely unrelated to the amount the player plays in preseason(so, suddenly practice does matter..)

The cut days are just filler.. they mean nothing, and add nothing.

Menus

The menus are exactly what you're used to, with one small change. The front page, or the default to which you're returned after every single thing you do, is a basic matchup screen that prompts you to play/simulate your next game. Sounds harmless right? I suppose it is.. but once again, it shows a lack of understanding how the mode is played.. Just like the QUIT option at the end of the game prompting you by default to restart the game from the beginning, instead of quit. Here's what seems obvious to me: In a single season of franchise, you're going to start/simulate 24 games/weeks. Now compare that to how many times you enter your depth chart, injury report, scouting, free agents, stats/standings, or the other 20 or so options you have in the franchise menu.. That's going to add up to A LOT more than 24. Where does it make more sense to default to? This might sound petty, but it does get annoying.

Free Agency

I'm not sure if this is improved, or just different.. I like being able to sign players in season for cheap 1 year deals, but only because I'm comparing it to previous years where a guy has sat out 10 weeks and is still demanding a 6 year 30M deal.. But, hey, well done to fix that..

The off season bidding I've never liked... it's certainly fun as any auction is, but again it doesn't make sense. But they knew that, and added it as a mini-game in the middle of a sim franchise.. It's not terrible, bu it would be nice to allow me to offer more creative term/structures to FA's. Especially since the cap is much harder to manage this year(a good thing).

I could go on, but this is getting way too long.. a few quick ones: coaching bonus's make no sense(how is my HC making my OL's pass blocking footwork worse?), why are stadium name rights deals only 1-3 years?, same 14 pre-made relocation logo's to choose from(2 each, 28 total), no option to build a new stadium and stay in current city, team will not go into debt for stadium upgrades, must have cash in hand..

One I just remembered, but need to test more.. OL performance based progression seems to be tied only to pancakes. I had and 84 rated A-pot RT give up one 1 sack in 16 games, but only 2 pancakes. and he regressed 2 points. (team was 7th league rank rushing, 13th total offense, in case that is used). Year 2 he had 1 pancake, gave up 2 sack, and regressed 3 more points. If a 25 year old tackle gave up 3 sacks in 2 full seasons, Madden 14 would have him rated 99.

Okay.. there's my impressions, I might add more later.. I would like to add some positive things(there are some). But bottom line, this missed the mark again, and for no other reason than sloppy execution of great ideas. Again.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #34
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Madden 12 Retail Impression (Franchise and Superstar Mode - NO QUESTIONS/DISCUSSI

Most of the complaints i've read have to deal with scouting and Free Agency.

I love the new scouting, and to me, FA is just an improved version of NFL HC 09. This is gonna be a very great year off franchise mode for me.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 1

"Scouting Director: How's that QB I sent you to watch?

field goal kicker.

SC: Can you tell me anything about his teammates? Or any standouts playing for the opponent?

S: Sure thing, boss."

hilarious dude!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #36
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Started my last test franchise(for settings and general feel) last night before i get my 360 version tonight and man its a blast. Of course there are some things that will hopefully get better. Not going into the glitch thread, unless i post something, is rule #1 also.
I may be 45 but i was taken back to old school of writing down notes and stats for using during cut days and deciding on starters

I did end up making a couple decisions that surprised even myself.
Cant wait to start my real deal tonight.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #37
Pro

OVR: 0

I started a few Offline franchises with the Panthers , And theres a huge problem with the cap on this years logic, As Cam is on a 6 Yr 72.Mil with 40.Mil in bonus, I can't seem to have cap space after the first season , Forces me to cut valuble players , and add on low rated players at a league min, Now the pro's free agent's once the bid wars is over, and you want to sign players they come very cheap everyones whos not a 80 ovr will not demand a huge salary 1yr deals at 640k and max out the bonus to manage the cap. Its some what fun , but theres work to be done still. In the Current coachs theres only two whom are real to the real Carolina Panthers HC Ron Rivera & ST B.Murphy then theres a OC. S. Condello or our DC Sean he is in madden 11 eagles DC. Stats , Stats, Stats theres way to many long runs by the RB 99 longest run, Longest completion, Linebackers swatting everything again, too many sacks by LB, placing a player on IR opens up a roster spot is a big plus, No EA radio , No newspaper, no weekly breakdowns of the weeks action, I mean what happen to the additions in MD11 , The trainners are holding the flags and ordering the only 2 offensive or Defensives staters for the team at intro, theres no cart wheeling you off, yet to see a full inj update or concussion. And the worst the commentary is just too inconsistant to even listen to calling NFL players by there number, wrong names, only the Eli mannings and others get some different type of comments but very few and its all the same lines just different players there using it on. Sliders custom tackles are like if slug fest out on every single play, WWF someone already nicknamed this WWF tackling, Too much rain , Dead eyes on players , No QB styles update, same old animations, one thing was new WR fake ?? theres allot or wrong things with the franchise mode this year, the graphics and 3d grass and the 75 player preseason can only keep me intrested for a short while , But is a good & bad first impression of the game for me.

Last edited by PanthersGM305; 08-29-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 12

[quote=Mike0ne;2042778915]Franchise is disappointing... again.

Scouting

There's a reason that scouting has been "broken" the last 3 years. It's because someone was smart enough to realize that if you can't get it to work and make sense, keep it under the radar.

Here's a description of the current scouting system, in real life terms.

The scouting director sends his team of scouts of to watch 20 guys. They've each got 4 weeks to watch the player.

And here's the conversation when the scout returns:

Scouting Director: How's that QB I sent you to watch?

field goal kicker.

S: Sure thing, boss.

I could do this for the other stages in scouting, but I'm sure you get the point.. Your scouts at the Indy combine only look at 20(15?) players, ignore everyone else, and don't come back with results table of 40's, bench, L-drill, etc.. Then you go to the schools pro day, and watch just one player, ignoring his teammates.. then finally to get full info on 5 players.

I've tried different ways of doing it, and due to the lack of having an idea past a round projection of where players will be taken, it's absolutely impossible to draft well based on any kind of skill. And the CPU will not draft based on the projection either(which in a better franchise, would be a good thing) So it's essentially a complete crapshoot, and past your second pick you will most likely be picking players based on position/round projection/height/weight/names you like the sound of.. You can't even see age in the draft.

There's also an annoying popup that every 4 weeks warning to you scout players, or the cpu won't do it for you.. this comes up even if you've already scouted the full amount of players you're allowed to scout.

I'm thinking the madden shop will offer the usual scout package to allow you to scout every position perfectly, and I'll buy it without hesitation. But hey, EA, if you need my $10 that badly, just ask, no need for the charade.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------___________

Pretty funny and I agree with you. However, after running a couple of dummy off-seasons I've found ways to figure out who can play and have come up with some really good draft classes.

I've gotten three 80 plus players for the Broncos (85 SS to replace Dawkins, 86 DT and an 82 RB in the first 3 rounds). You just have to wait until the attributes that make the most sense for that players position to figure out what players to scout at that given time.

Example: For RBs you get juke, stiff arm etc early on and when guys have minuses in the categories I eliminate them and go after the guys with pluses in those categories. Later on you can unlock the speed. So, you can find some guys projected as 3rd rounders that are actually really good.

Last edited by Bootzilla; 08-29-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 3

offline franchise is my thing.

I won't be getting madden this year. I think it's appalling that they had 2 years and an absolutely outstanding platform in hc09 to build off of and half assed it.

I prefer the scouting of last year's game to this.

the trade logic is a shambles

and free agency while it ti supposed to be chaotic going through a hug elist of players in that time just isn't feasible.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Amba Lamps
offline franchise is my thing.

I won't be getting madden this year. I think it's appalling that they had 2 years and an absolutely outstanding platform in hc09 to build off of and half assed it.

I prefer the scouting of last year's game to this.

the trade logic is a shambles

and free agency while it ti supposed to be chaotic going through a hug elist of players in that time just isn't feasible.
My biggest gripe as well. I remember the developers last year saying "guys we really did not do much with franchise (referring to 11) because next year we are completely rebuilding the code"

That was a lie.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »