Home

1Up Madden NFL 12 "Review" B-/67 on Metacritic

This is a discussion on 1Up Madden NFL 12 "Review" B-/67 on Metacritic within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2011, 02:25 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: 1Up Madden NFL 12 "Review" B-/67 on Metacritic

Wow. I thought I would never see the day when someone on a mainstream site would speak their honest feelings about the game of Madden. As I said in another thread. We cant get caught up in our personal feelings about a franchise. If someone posts reasons for why they are dogging/praising a game and can back it up with facts. How can anyone say the review is BS ? Either what you say is true or not true.

Each year EA releases its feature set and improvements for their game. Each year the review sites reviews are mainly extensions of those release clippings by EA marketing. They talk about all the games new features without going into much detail about them. They dont check to see if the features work as advertised or demonstrate if said fixes to prior years problems are really fixes.

Look at all the high scores and kudos they have gotten over the past 6 years and look at the game you have in your hands tonight. How much does this game do that your madden game in 2005 did not do ? Of the features it has that older maddens do not have, how many of those features work as advertised and how many do you think will still be in the game in 2 years ? How many of those features where in older football games and does madden do those features better now ?

I remember apex showed a video here that demonstarted beyond a shadow of a doubt that madden 04 run animations looked better than madden 10. Most agreed by apex was crucified for stating the obvious by some here, not because he was wrong, but because they simply did not like what he was saying about their beloved game.

When people here are challenged with facts they dont refute the facts with facts they call you names, call what you are saying foolish or hating or the stupidest one having a "agenda". Guess what. Everything you do has a freaking agenda. My agenda is to express what I am feeling about whatever, just as your agenda is to respond to what I am saying.

We can like or dislike whatever is said but ultimately the only thing that matters is truth. The guy in the review gave specifics on what he did not like.

I dont have the full game yet. For those who do have the game and read those bullet points in the review. What is true and what is not true ? Thats what needs to be talked about. Not your opinion of the reviewer or whether you like or not like what he is saying.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Wow. I thought I would never see the day when someone on a mainstream site would speak their honest feelings about the game of Madden. As I said in another thread. We cant get caught up in our personal feelings about a franchise. If someone posts reasons for why they are dogging/praising a game and can back it up with facts. How can anyone say the review is BS ? Either what you say is true or not true.

Each year EA releases its feature set and improvements for their game. Each year the review sites reviews are mainly extensions of those release clippings by EA marketing. They talk about all the games new features without going into much detail about them. They dont check to see if the features work as advertised or demonstrate if said fixes to prior years problems are really fixes.

Look at all the high scores and kudos they have gotten over the past 6 years and look at the game you have in your hands tonight. How much does this game do that your madden game in 2005 did not do ? Of the features it has that older maddens do not have, how many of those features work as advertised and how many do you think will still be in the game in 2 years ? How many of those features where in older football games and does madden do those features better now ?

I remember apex showed a video here that demonstarted beyond a shadow of a doubt that madden 04 run animations looked better than madden 10. Most agreed by apex was crucified for stating the obvious by some here, not because he was wrong, but because they simply did not like what he was saying about their beloved game.

When people here are challenged with facts they dont refute the facts with facts they call you names, call what you are saying foolish or hating or the stupidest one having a "agenda". Guess what. Everything you do has a freaking agenda. My agenda is to express what I am feeling about whatever, just as your agenda is to respond to what I am saying.

We can like or dislike whatever is said but ultimately the only thing that matters is truth. The guy in the review gave specifics on what he did not like.

I dont have the full game yet. For those who do have the game and read those bullet points in the review. What is true and what is not true ? Thats what needs to be talked about. Not your opinion of the reviewer or whether you like or not like what he is saying.
I agree 100% my dude...EA needs a shakedown...the game is not bad...but I've seen them do better...they just dont feel like they have to....i miss 2k and I never played the freakin game...i miss the comp that pushed Madden to be great.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
All Star

OVR: 21

Just read the 1UP review - wow. Not used to seeing sites be particularly frank when it comes to Madden reviews. But have to take it with a grain of salt because I'm not sure they were as frank with NCAA also, and both are essentially the same game. Didn't seem they said much that could be disputed; their synopsis on the yearly cycle we all go through pretty much says all. Sites aren't rubber-stamping reviews as in years past, should be an overdue wakeup call to Tiburon.

The game has long needed a kitchen sink/try to address every area (ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL) approach instead of this piecemeal approach of we'll fix movement/stadiums this year, commentary and franchise the next, etc. In the end the fixes don't end up being true fixes and are instead band-aids and it frustrates gamers that much more. Even if they weren't perfect people would respect a kitchen sink approach imo

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

The 1UP review was a pretty brutal for what amounts to an 8/10. If you are going to be hard on a game, the score needs to reflect that. It reminds me of their Gears of War review where they completely destroy it in the actual review and then give it a 10.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

The reviewers seem to be hitting the game hard for the poor commentary and the lackluster quality of the modes besides Franchise. I don't care about either one of those things, so I'll be golden.

From the GameRadar review with got an 80.

Quote:

You'll love
Tackling animations superb
Dented helmets and dirty unis
Online communities

You'll hate
Worst. Commentary. Ever.
Unrealistic Superstar mode
No hope for newbies
This, to me, screams, casual player.

Here's my guess for next year. The commentary will be exponentially improved, the ancillary modes will be beefed up as well, and sadly, as a command from upstairs, some super casual friendly gimmick will make its return to the game.

The scores will go back up to all 8.5's and 9's, but the gameplay/A.I. aspects of the game that have caused many here to have longstanding anger toward Madden will still not be changed much for their liking.

You guys can enjoy this one year of less than stellar scores, but I don't think its going to get the needle to move in the direction you want on the gameplay front.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

According to the 1up review, they didn't fix the kicker warmup bit from the demo? Commentary seems to be a central theme, and hopefully this will light a fire under EA for next year.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertandHam
According to the 1up review, they didn't fix the kicker warmup bit from the demo? Commentary seems to be a central theme, and hopefully this will light a fire under EA for next year.
I tell you what, if commentary is the worst thing about this game, I'm fine with that. I know it's brutal from what I've heard, so I plan on turning off that noise pollution and turning up stadium sounds. That's how I've played with NCAA, when it hasn't froze on me.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I tell you what, if commentary is the worst thing about this game, I'm fine with that. I know it's brutal from what I've heard, so I plan on turning off that noise pollution and turning up stadium sounds. That's how I've played with NCAA, when it hasn't froze on me.
I can agree with that. If the game plays great, and franchise mode is all it's cracked up to be, I'll be a happy gamer.

I did live through Todd Hammond

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »