Home

Madden NFL 12 Reviewer Impressions: Gameplay

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Reviewer Impressions: Gameplay within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #49
MVP

OVR: 30
I have been playing the full game for a couple of days, now, and I can agree with much of what is said about this game by the reviewer. I also found a quirk or so when playing in franchise - Offensive players automatically being put on D. I couldn't believe that Santonio Holmes was attempting to make a tackle on a 3rd and long play when I was playing my Jets against the Bengals. Crazy how he magically appeared. Smh.

At the same time, I am enjoying what's here and appreciate some of the improvements. I do hope see a more huge leap next year, overall. The game is stale, to be quite honest. I pick apart the D with my QBs on All Pro (I don't even bother with that cheating-behind All Madden non-sense) so I really don't see the improvement in the zone coverages. I just Tom Brady the situations. Lol. I KNOW how to pass and read coverages very well.
Anywayz, I'm about to spark up my Jets/Giants matchup in my franchise pre-season and hope that the results, which WILL be a win against the Giants, come to fruition for my Jets on Monday night.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #50
Banned

atomant94's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Madden NFL 12 Reviewer Impressions: Gameplay

I will just rent this game first.

Madden 12 is better than 11, but thats not sayin much

EA.... We should of got this game 3 yrs ago
Old 08-28-2011, 03:23 AM   #51
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Details and reasons why he felt the way he felt. THAT'S a review. We can love it or hate it but the only thing that can be argued are facts and everything else is debatable. He spoke in specifics and gave examples. When you bring evidence you shut up all the would be critics of the review and most importantly you are giving the readers something to look at and think about when they play the game and decide if they want to buy the game or not.

For the guys who say, its just a game, we should not expect x,y,z. That would be true if the things we ask for are not possible or have never been done before. However. A lot of what we want HAS been done already in older games. This is what makes the Madden situation so sad. I will be the first to say, overall Madden is not garbage. It can be a fun game to play. However in light of what has been and what is now and what is coming, Madden cannot be allowed to go the way its been going the last 6 years. Someone at Tiburon HAS to step up the games game play and "football" features on the field. It is dated and needs some serious work.

IMO it looks like they have the last 2 years been trying to skate by on improving the presentation hoping all eyes will be on that while doing little to address the legacy issues and current game play problems and lack of innovative features that matter while playing the game.
I have much the same outlook......On the one hand Im glad the old school novelty of Madden is back with 12 and that the devs seem to want to provide a deeper/more authentic game to the core football junkies

I can see the effort to appeal to that base this year....with things like the franchise editing/bidding/scouting/....Authentic Broadcast Cams...DPP..and their attempts at improving Consecutive Hit Tackling/Zone D

But I think what this review and many others like are saying is.....

"The Paper isn't Complete...you just have a good rough outline again"

before, you could say the game wasn't even writing on paper....it was just "A drawing in the sand"

Thats how I viewed the Last Gen football games....like it was a great Rough Outline but it lacked the horse power of good tech to flesh out the body....That was ok at the time, but its 2011 now, more and more people want the game to evolve past the legacy issues and Madden Sterotypes

People are tired of saying "Thats just Madden being Madden" so much

That means not shifting focus again into some new marketing slogan, but doubling down in the areas that were focused on this year
It means investing serious dollars into just about every facet of the gameplay again

And you know what Im talking about mostly, this Review hit the big Areas.....that means the Legacy Issues

*A much more realistic/expansive movement system complete with Tons of animation variety for different speeds/cuts...Transitional Animations
FTW!!!The Zig Zaggng Arcade stuff has to get cut down immensely

Thats the biggest one^^^The devs are going to have to give a little in Player Control to make that work.....Thats an area where they have to man up and say yeah....little Timmy might have a harder time grasping when to use certain stick movements, but Players are playing/approaching the situation with a realistic plan now.....because the freedom to move out of that bad situation through Our "GameDesign" has now been limited

And thats the point of it, people are starting to get tired of having to always gameplan around the Madden brand of football.......Madden Strategies and Real life Football strategies need to look much more closely alike then they are today moving forward

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Last edited by SteelerSpartan; 08-28-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #52
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Details and reasons why he felt the way he felt. THAT'S a review. We can love it or hate it but the only thing that can be argued are facts and everything else is debatable. He spoke in specifics and gave examples. When you bring evidence you shut up all the would be critics of the review and most importantly you are giving the readers something to look at and think about when they play the game and decide if they want to buy the game or not.

For the guys who say, its just a game, we should not expect x,y,z. That would be true if the things we ask for are not possible or have never been done before. However. A lot of what we want HAS been done already in older games. This is what makes the Madden situation so sad. I will be the first to say, overall Madden is not garbage. It can be a fun game to play. However in light of what has been and what is now and what is coming, Madden cannot be allowed to go the way its been going the last 6 years. Someone at Tiburon HAS to step up the games game play and "football" features on the field. It is dated and needs some serious work.

IMO it looks like they have the last 2 years been trying to skate by on improving the presentation hoping all eyes will be on that while doing little to address the legacy issues and current game play problems and lack of innovative features that matter while playing the game.
I somewhat agree with the last paragraph. I hated the years 08 09 and 11. 11 was the first year I didn't complete a season. I don't have the game, yet, but I will in 36 hrs.

Based on some of the trusted reviews I've been reading, looks like I'll be playing 12 much longer than 11. I didn't play the other game, so, I can only compare on either last Maddens or the other sports game I play. The only other one I play with any significance is nba 2k series and that series currently is notches above Madden.

However, if some of the reviews I trust and what I'm hearing from the new football leader are true, Madden seems to be righting the ship. They have doubled the game team employees. That can't hurt, it can only help. That new person is the person you are looking for to "step it up."

Even some of the reviewers that I trust, bottom line, I'm my own best reviewer and that is fact.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #53
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Good read, gives me some ideas to what to adjust in sliders once I get the game (whenever that would be)
Old 08-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 3
Thanks for the thoughts... my biggest fear is about the need of a patch and how long it will take. my NCAA has been on the shelf for 2 months now....why open the madden packaging if they too will take forever to fix some big issues.

For now, I'll sit on the sidelines like Cam Newton should and watch and wait.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 1

For me it's pretty simple; the game is fun. On All Pro the game is challenging but not stupid hard. It's good football.

I've given up on asking for things that 2k used to give us, until 2k starts making football again. Hopefully the monopoly that EA has will end soon but until then.. enjoy a great football game for what it is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #56
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by papernut
I was wondering the same. Is there any known patch that is due to hit this game on the 30th for launch for the retail disks?
Justin Dewiel tweeted that there would be a day one update as normal. I don't have any idea what will get updated though. I asked but got no answer.

(JDewiel tweeting at me @rudyjuly2 on August 25th "yea, there's a day one title update like normal")

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »