Home

Ratings no longer mean as much?

This is a discussion on Ratings no longer mean as much? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Ratings no longer mean as much?

I agreed up until the deep ball.

The deep ball works, and like IRL, it's not always dependent on speed.

Desean Jackson won't beat Woodson on a streak if Woodson is playing OFF COVERAGE (most likely). However, is he playing normal/press? He's likely to toast him (if he gets off the line).

It's not always speed. In fact, height is more important. Watch the WR off the line, and if he gets behind the corner throw a high bullet where only he can reach it (6'2+). Or if he has no safety help, lob it and run under it.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #10
Rookie

TomBrady's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Route running: Terrible. Every receiver (or running back for that matter)runs every route with the same crispness. Check it yourself, a 75 rte runner will run routes like Davone Bess who has 97 route running. FWIW, that crispness isn't where it should be IMO.
Rout running in Madden is not about how good routes receivers run, but how hard he is to read for the DBs.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #11
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBrady
Rout running in Madden is not about how good routes receivers run, but how hard he is to read for the DBs.
It also impacts their ability to actually run the correct route. I have had some instances where i throw to one of my weaker route runners just before his break and he runs the wrong route and ends up nowhere near the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #12
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
It also impacts their ability to actually run the correct route. I have had some instances where i throw to one of my weaker route runners just before his break and he runs the wrong route and ends up nowhere near the ball.
This has nothing to do with route running, but everything to do with Maddens poor representation of passing. Regardless of your receivers ratings, if you throw the ball too early on, say, an out route, the AI will think it's a fly/go route.

Route running isn't programmed into the engine, only changes in direction are. So if you throw before a receiver has changed his direction, then the system believes he's running a different route. And as long as players in Madden are psychic it doesn't really matter when you throw it. All players, defense or offense, instantly reacts to where the ball is headed.

In short, route running is basically just a rating that allows separation against the man coverage rating. If route running is higher than man coverage, then the receiver gets a speed burst and thus separation from the defender. If the man coverage rating is higher, then the defender gets the speed burst (and sometimes even run the remainder of the route ahead of the receiver).

Last edited by guaps; 08-28-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 11

You are definitely wrong about the deep ball being gone. I throw deep balls all the time on single coverage defense , and connect probably 50% of the time. You have to step into your deep throw.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »