Home

I really think alot of these "problems" people have

This is a discussion on I really think alot of these "problems" people have within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: I really thinks alot of these "problems" people have

I can't even begin to imagine how many Red Bull's one would need to play this game on Very Fast.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotaviking
LOL! Post of the day!! changing the speed still can't polish this turd!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
Rookie

Bull_Dozer's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
Disagree 100% with the OP, IMO the game is played the best on slow with a lower threshold around 30.
I agree with this. It's just a matter of preference I guess. Playing on fast speed feels sloppy and out of control to me.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarCityBandit
Uh NO the game is not faster due to looking through a camera. The speed is relative to how close to the action you are.
I didnt expect many people to agree with me. This is why I created the topic because most people play using the slower speed. I will say this...People who were 2k fans would most likely like the faster speed, it plays more like that series did on that speed.
Hey the idea is to try something different. I heard all of this hype about playing the game on SLOW and VerY SLOW (even OS did a Fact/Fiction about it) and so being a guy who plays on normal, I tried it out. I have an open mind so I gave it a shot and honestly ITS LAUGHABLE. There is NOTHING realistic to the NFL game about it. Everything moves so slowly its silly. I think everyone likes it because its easier and everything unfolds in almost slow motion so yeah its easier to run the ball you have a year to decide where to cut to etc. Defensively its also a joke and this is why some of the hitting looks silly to people because the context is all out of whack.
A perfect example is the animation where the LB hits a WR/RB with his shoulder and knocks the guy over but he himself doesnt leave his feet he stays upright. (this animation has been in Madden for years and its always looked/Seemed silly even though you will see it in an NFL game from time to time) However at the Very Fast game speed that type of hit and animation make complete sense. It looks like it belongs because it does. On a slow game speed it doesnt seem plausible for a LB to put that hit on a guy without himself falling to the ground. Perhaps nobody understands what Im saying but if you try it you will see what Im talking about. And many more situations like that come to light.
The arcade argument is not completely accurate either. As video game football fans we (for some reason) have decided that game speed is directly related to arcadeness. This is not true. You just dont have the same amount of time to try to pull off four different moves as a runner as easily as you would on a slower speed (which doesnt make it any MORE real on slow). However, Looking at some of the runs Ive made with LeGarett Blount on Very Fast, They look completely real, nothing arcade about them. And yeah, when my RB gets planted it happens pretty quickly just as it normally would. Sometimes I break tackles and make moves other times I dont.
Relative to the passing game by the way, a guy that is open comes open faster and its really no more difficult to complete passes than it is on slower speeds. In other words, I dont take any more sacks on Very Fast than I did on normal.
Really, I dont know how people could say they love NFL football and not try playing on the speed that actually mimics the speed of the game on the field but thats just me. I think that some of this is because MOST people have never even been to an actual NFL game so they have no frame of reference. Or if they did they were not anywhere near field level to see the difference between field level speed and Nose bleed seats speed - very different (Slower) when you can see the entire play develop in front of you. This is also I think a product of most people having only watched the game on TV. Back years ago when I was little they always showed you shots from field level at normal speed so you could see how fast Lawrence Taylor came around the end to obliterate Joe Theisman etc. Now you almost NEVER See a look shown to you from field level in real time. But most people arent in an NFL city or cant go to the games because its RIDICULOUSLY expensive so I can understand why people would like a game that plays more like what they are used to from watching a broadcast camera their entire football fan lives.
I am very interested in trying this tonight Cigar. I tend to agree with you on the speed being more realistic. I have noticed this and tend to disagree also that the slower speed mimics real life more. Animation speeds are the issues, because many of the animations will look sped up. But the running speed and movement looks better on very fast in my opinion.

I like my games very realistic also, so most will know already I am not a arcade player. I want to run some test with these tonight.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

I have to agree with you on this one. I don't think people really understand the tension a QB can feel having to make a focused decision in such a tiny window of time. I played Madden 10&11 on fast and I remember playing NFL2k5 on the fastest setting. My yearly gripe with Madden however, is the glaring issues like DBs and LBs catching up with Robo suction AI when they clearly should have been beat. I play WR and QB, both flag and semi-pro contact and Madden doesn't capture that timing/passing feel to me like 2k5. My general rule of thumb is 2-Mississippi and the ball needs to be gone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Well I tested this last night and I have to agree. Very Fast seems more realistic. Time in pocket, players running routes, speed of HB hitting a hole, etc are all much truer to the real speed it happens in real life.

What it also does is remove the "arcade" people talk about. I struggled running MUCH more than I did on normal speed. I did not have a half second to assess where blocks where going to setup the perfect run play every time I handed the ball off. Granted I still finished with a 3.8 avg per carry. But it all flowed more realistically.

I do believe people are gun shy of turning speed up because they "envision" the game playing slower. But the reality of the situation is football is BLAZING SPEED! Plus it removes some of the "reaction" time for the user thus given a more accurate representation of how perfect everything must fall in line and perfect for a big play to happen. On normal speed you can break a 50+ yard run far far to often compared to how much it happens in real life. While the very fast won't fix it entirely, it does help knock the amount of those down.

I will be playing on the very fast setting and like the OP. I would encourage more guys to give it some time. Play several games at that speed and I think you might like the results.

Watch the speed of how fast everything is moving on first run at :14 seconds with Peterson! THIS is how I want Madden to look, FAST and INTENSE. Because that is what football is, we just miss out on a lot of those little things with our TV shots.

Last edited by Phobia; 08-31-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #23
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

This is what's great about OS, a diversity of opinion. I always try to make sure I don't miss out on something better for being stubborn to change. I am all for anything that makes the game play more realistic.

That said, I am trying to compare this to basketball and wondering if playing at the same speed of the real game is a good idea on a console. When I consider the fact that I have to input a command through a controller opposed to real guys on field just reacting, I don't know if matching the exact speed of the game is wise.

The statement that is plays more like NFL2k5 on "very fast" has me intrigued. If that is true, then it should be fine since I had no issues with that game at the time. I no longer own that game though, so it will be hard for me to tell for sure.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 3

I commend you guys for at least having an open mind and trying something different. Ever since I tried Very Fast its made Madden a much more realistic game for me. Totally agree with the 2k comparison. To me even on normal speed the 2k series captured the Speed and Impact of NFL football better than Madden and Ive always been looking for that element within Madden...NOW I found it and its SUBLIME!!! By the way this games visuals are just beautiful, add the speed factor in and most of my replays in my highlight creator look like the real thing. I also like how a ball stays in the air on a long pass/bomb for what seems to be exactly the amount of time it really would. Watching replays using Endzone and Sideline cameras (even of incompletions) on this game speed look exactly like what you would see from a ball-in-the-air standpoint.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »