Home

Madden NFL 12 Reviewer Impressions: Gameplay

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Reviewer Impressions: Gameplay within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden NFL 12 Reviewer Impressions: Gameplay

Madden's gameplay is a strange sort of Jekyll and Hyde act this year. While on one hand, I really want to love the gameplay for all the things it does right, there's always a bit of creeping anger and disappointment when I experience the things Madden doesn't do quite so well.

Madden is far from a bad game. I'm about 15 games into my Madden experience, and it's pretty easy to conclude that Madden is anything but a bad game. It's just that to get to some realistic results, the game cuts so many corners and seems to be asking me to suspend my own disbelief to find enjoyment in the face of some lacking realism.

On the basic surface level, if you've played NCAA Football 12, you sort of know what to expect from Madden 12. If you've played an EA football game in the last several years, you've also played a large part of what Madden 12 has to offer. What Madden does differently is important to the core gameplay experience and will probably define whether you, as a hardcore fan, are willing to spend the $60 on the game.

Read More - Madden NFL 12 Reviewer Impressions: Gameplay
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Wondering if slider adjustments help the offline people with some of the issues.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 3
The play calling element on the defensive side of the ball you described is really bothersome compared to the way you called plays back in 2k football where I picked where I wanted my linebackers and secondary and then could decide what I wanted my front four to do-slant left, slant right, spread out, stunt left, right or both. You really had serious control over how you rushed the passer and what everyone behind those guys did to the offense. EA could learn a little from just something as simple as that play calling scheme.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 12 Reviewer Impressions: Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Wondering if slider adjustments help the offline people with some of the issues.
Was-up Roadman!

I'm sure to a certain degree it can aid the situation. The one glaring issue for me was the feel of the game, and threshold alone aided it for me. Game play feels better now, and I'm on normal speed.

I will have to say what is stated above is pretty accurate.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 12 Reviewer Impressions: Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarCityBandit
The play calling element on the defensive side of the ball you described is really bothersome compared to the way you called plays back in 2k football where I picked where I wanted my linebackers and secondary and then could decide what I wanted my front four to do-slant left, slant right, spread out, stunt left, right or both. You really had serious control over how you rushed the passer and what everyone behind those guys did to the offense. EA could learn a little from just something as simple as that play calling scheme.

I can't disagree at all with this. I loved the tiered play calling system on 2K5.

It would be nice if Madden adopted this system and made it an option for hardcore sports gamers and left the conventional play calling (and gameflow for the real casual crowd) for those that just want to pick up and play.

I understand why Madden has not adopted that tiered system as they don't want to make it cumbersome for the majority of their buying base but it would be nice to see the option. 2K11 and The Show nail this aspect of giving the gamer hardcore, mid level and casual options.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 23
Pretty much the same story we've been reading every year... It always seems like the game, is SO CLOSE, yet SO FAR away from being whats expected...
Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Number 1 Stunna

F0rl3fclov3r's Arena

OVR: 11
Weak that no defensive player lock view is in the game. Audibles (now confirmed) are terrible in the demo in comparison to the ease of NCAA 12. Either way I'm dropping the money like I always do and taken fools to the house.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
I think this is gonna be a fun year on the boards. 15% of gamers will love Madden 12. While 15% hate Madden and 70% will be in the middle saying its fun and such. I think this review sums it up, Madden is better but, still not great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »