Home

The CPU Is Cheating: Draft Logic Exposed

This is a discussion on The CPU Is Cheating: Draft Logic Exposed within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 09-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #89
Rookie

imskykid's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The CPU Is Cheating: Draft Logic Exposed

AG, I will be sure to have a ceremonial feast of mashed potatoes tonight in your honor.

A few notes, and please correct me if I'm wrong and feel free to add:

The ability to switch control of teams is during the staffing stage of the offseason, before you advance to retirements, and you can do all your slider adjustment in there and then switch control back off if you wish to do so. In other words, if you despise having to micromanage each team like I do, you can make all these adjustments without having to constantly be in control of 31 teams.

When making your slider adjustments, take note of what defensive scheme each team has and adjust the player type (IE Steelers run a 3-4, so make sure the DE preference is Run Stopping and not Balanced or Pass Rushing).

This would also be a good time to see what coaching changes took place (or do them yourself) and make sure their personnel matches the scheme. If the Steelers change head coaches in 2018 and hire a someone who defaults to 4-3, this is the time to either switch the scheme back to 3-4, OR go in and move players around (DEs to DT, OLBs to DE, ect). My suggestion for this is to just switch the team back to what their default scheme is. I know that there is no way 32 teams will stick with the same scheme for 10-20-30 years, but when you go to play against these teams in the regular season they take the field with whatever defense they originally had when you started your franchise. (Note, sim stats will still reflect whatever scheme each team currently runs)

Also, because 3-4 VS 4-3 scheme realism is important to me, I make sure I go in and switch players around to their appropriate positions based on height/weight (take a 3-4 team with a 6'3" 255lb DE and move him to OLB). This used to be tricky, because in order to switch a player's position there had to be an overage for their original position so the team wouldn't drop below their required numbers. Now that rosters are expanded, most all positions have more than enough players, so this is a much easier task to accomplish than in previous Maddens. Changing positions will adjust the player's OVR (especially DE to OLB) so keep that in mind. You may find it necessary to go in an manually edit a 77 OVR DE who dropped to a 58 OVR OLB. Personally, I only do this to some players because the transition from college DE to 3-4 OLB is not guaranteed success (see: Vernon Gholston) and some are best suited remaining DEs, but for 4-3 teams.

I know some of you have already figured out these little nuances that help add to the realism, but I figured I'd share some of the things I've come across.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #90
Pro

HeavyHitter55's Arena

OVR: 10

So you didn't do anything else other than set the P/K priority to 0 and set teams with a QB as a rising star to 0? No other changes which were mentioned in your original post? I'm just worried about teams like the Seahawks taking a HB when they have another need elsewhere which can be satisfied with a lower rated player.

RIP J.J.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #91
Rookie

OVR: 0

You are correct, those are the only changes I made. I did try to make changes like you are suggesting...this team's HB need is a 70, that team's FS need is a 40...but the drafts became completely unpredictable messes, and punters were still chosen in the first round, even with zero priority. The trick is to have as many 100 priorities as possible. Until EA releases an actual fix, we have to pick our drafting battles. If the HB thing is important to you, make whatever change you deem necessary...but realize it could lead to a P being taken in the first round.

For what it's worth, teams did not always choose the top-listed player who was 100. Need does still seem to factor in to my "100/0" drafting system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #92
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by imskykid
AG, I will be sure to have a ceremonial feast of mashed potatoes tonight in your honor.

A few notes, and please correct me if I'm wrong and feel free to add:

The ability to switch control of teams is during the staffing stage of the offseason, before you advance to retirements, and you can do all your slider adjustment in there and then switch control back off if you wish to do so. In other words, if you despise having to micromanage each team like I do, you can make all these adjustments without having to constantly be in control of 31 teams.
Negative, Jimmithy McLovin. I've been trying to get this to work all day. When you switch from controlling one team to 32 during the offseason, and attempt to access your 8th or 9th team's coaching strategies, it will tell you you have to hire a head coach first. This can not be done, because the teams already have head coaches. Simming all the staff hires/fires but not advancing a week results in the same error. Advancing a week moves you past the point that you can stop controlling the teams.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #93
Rookie

imskykid's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actinguy1
Negative, Jimmithy McLovin. I've been trying to get this to work all day. When you switch from controlling one team to 32 during the offseason, and attempt to access your 8th or 9th team's coaching strategies, it will tell you you have to hire a head coach first. This can not be done, because the teams already have head coaches. Simming all the staff hires/fires but not advancing a week results in the same error. Advancing a week moves you past the point that you can stop controlling the teams.

Well, hurry up and fix it already!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #94
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning2Harrison
Thinking some more about my post above, until they patch it so editing doesn't eliminate roles, you'll have to be careful who you give a temporary edit.
They will lose roles for the year you edited them, but the next season they will likely get new roles if they are a impact player like a QB.

I wish I knew more about what all the roles do so I could gauge if editing them is worth it or not. Like Future Star, does that do anything other than label them as a Future Star so that the CPU doesn't say draft someone above them in same position, or does it give them a boost in progression maybe???

I know I simmed season 1 to check on how the roles changes and Suh went from a 89, to a 97 and he had the future star role. :P
Old 09-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #95
Pro

HeavyHitter55's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actinguy1
You are correct, those are the only changes I made. I did try to make changes like you are suggesting...this team's HB need is a 70, that team's FS need is a 40...but the drafts became completely unpredictable messes, and punters were still chosen in the first round, even with zero priority. The trick is to have as many 100 priorities as possible. Until EA releases an actual fix, we have to pick our drafting battles. If the HB thing is important to you, make whatever change you deem necessary...but realize it could lead to a P being taken in the first round.

For what it's worth, teams did not always choose the top-listed player who was 100. Need does still seem to factor in to my "100/0" drafting system.

SWEET! Thanks. One more question: did you make changes to the type of player a team would want? (i.e.: The Raiders wanting ONLY speed players)

RIP J.J.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »