Home

Lack of pass rush from 4-3 DEs frustrating

This is a discussion on Lack of pass rush from 4-3 DEs frustrating within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Lack of pass rush from 4-3 DEs frustrating

Well to the OP I tried out the Giants last night vs Dallas and I had the same situation occur. Now understand that I usually use the Bucs who have a youngry defensive line with unproven raw talent CLayborn, Miller, McCoy, Bennett and we get pressure pretty consistently. I ONLY control the DLine on Defense so this is all I know in Madden on D.
I also have to say that I Play the game on Very Fast game speed/threshold 0 (Still tweaking threshold). In Madden 11 I was a beast with the Giants and that DLine it was so much fun. I'd sub in Pierre-Paul and he was even doing serious damage (presumably because of his speed). Madden 12 is a bit different. I havent even seen the same up and under animation that was present (from a DE) in Madden 11-it may be there I just havent seen it yet and it was beautifully rendered in 11.
Perhaps the reason for this is because last year SPeed was everything and this season there are more factors that seem to matter AS much (so I have heard). But the Giants are a revered front four that should be dominant most Sundays and its WELL known. My Bucs line is totally unproven so this is a strange situation. Im using all the moves and using speed burst before sometimes, during sometimes and after sometimes. Trying all different combos and with TB it is effective. On very fast its easier to time the move bc the engagement happens quicker so its more like using the DLine in 2k football games where you use the move immediately after the ball is snapped. I think its probably harder to be on the slower speeds at least thats my opinion from playing 10 and 11 on normal gamespeed. I just started using Very Fast this edition.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoze
the real problem is people are expecting to get a couple sacks from each player per game. That is completely unrealistic. Just getting one sack each game would be a pro-bowl season.
Before this year, Madden couldn't replicate what consistent pressure does to the QB, but now with tendencies and DPP, the hits and constant pressure you put on a QB could possibly make him start getting rid of the ball sooner or taking of and scrambling more.
JDoze, I agree with you in that regard. I think DeMarcus Ware lead the league last year with 15.5 sacks, which averages out to about one sack a game. But I think you are missing the point of the thread.

We want to see PRESSURE. If my DE has a 97 finesse move, then he should be regularly getting past any offensive tackle with less than a 97 rating in, say, pass block footwork (PBF). I don't necessarily need a ton of sacks. I want to see quick pressure using finesse moves like swims and spins that only the most elite offensive tackles have the agility and footwork to deal with. The quarterback may still get rid of the ball, but there will be more rushed and errant throws. With enough pressure, the quarterback may even start getting antsy and throwing fast when there is no pressure. Remember the Jim Everrett phantom sack? I can't find the link anymore, I think Everett's people had the video removed the Internet LOL.

It's all about PRESSURE. Nonstop, fierce, unrelenting PRESSURE. If I can force errant throws, a pick here and there, a scrambling QB, and an antsy QB, then mission accomplished. That is what Freeney, Mathis, Tuck, Osi, and all the rest of the elite DE's do on a regular basis. Only the most elite pass blocking tackles stand a chance, and even they need a tight end or a back to stay home and help out.

EA, tune this please! Thanks.

Last edited by radog99; 09-01-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

someone brought this to my attention in like 07,

Madden's engine makes the O-Line pocket form in a way thats its stronger in the outside than the inside.
They also used to make the pocket curve up into a U instead of a lower case n,,,you know, a pocket.

By madden 10 the pocket was forming better visually but it still performed unrealistically

and still does

this is why out DT gets more sacks and tfl than our DE's
Old 08-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #20
Rookie

DreSki's Arena

OVR: 2

I havent seen this problem except from like the RE mostly. Playing a franchise with the Raiders Lamar Houston has 20 sacks so far for me this season without me user controlling him at all. However Kameron Wimbley is struggling big time. Houston does have that high motor role or whatever it is called so maybe that has somthing to do with it but it seems the RE has a way harder time getting in.

Might sound crazy but it seems like it takes RE's longer to reach the QB then the LE's do. Seems as if they take a longer pathing or somthing.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 28

I don't understand why people always think when you mention the word "pressure" that you mean "sacks". I'm not expecting sacks. However, when you have two of the premier pass rushing DEs in all of football, they should be giving offensive tackles hell the majority of the time and at least making their presence known. Yes, I know you can get in there if you blitz, but I am talking about a 4 man rush and NOT user controlling them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #22
Rookie

Shards's Arena

OVR: 0

I would be curious to see how consistency and confidence affect pass rush. I recently played an online game where I was the ravens vs the falcons. My line blocked great on run but in the passing game DE Edwards was all over me. Seemed decent but I haven't played much with default settings
Old 09-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shards
I would be curious to see how consistency and confidence affect pass rush. I recently played an online game where I was the ravens vs the falcons. My line blocked great on run but in the passing game DE Edwards was all over me. Seemed decent but I haven't played much with default settings
Yeah the computer teams get pressure against you, it's your team that it doesn't work. Defensive tackles get waay too much pressure.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I honestly think it has something to do with the consistency player traits this year. By default most players don't have a high consistency value or confidence value.

Most of the players consistency rating is at 2. And most of their confidence rating is around 3.

Raise up the consistency rating and they will generate a pass rush every play, instead of every once in a while.

I wouldn't mess with the pass rush slider. Raise that and EVERYBODY will get through, not just DEs.
Refer to the bold - what if you raise the Pass Rush Slider and decrease all Defensive Tackle Pursuit and Block Shed attribute ratings for all DTs?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »