Home

(Any Bruiser Backs) Peyton Hillis Vs. Madden 12 Defensive Backs

This is a discussion on (Any Bruiser Backs) Peyton Hillis Vs. Madden 12 Defensive Backs within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
(Any Bruiser Backs) Peyton Hillis Vs. Madden 12 Defensive Backs

I am starting this thread to bring attention to as well as open a discussion on "bruiser" type running backs lack of breaking tackles against smaller defensive backs.

I have noticed over the last week of playing Madden 12 online, that Bruiser Backs like Peyton Hillis and Legarrette Blount aren't represented well. My complaint is they don't break enough 1 Vs. 1 tackles in the open field against shorter, lighter, weaker, with low tackle rating DB's.

While running a sweep with Peyton Hillis, I was tackled in the open field by the Falcons cornerback Brent Grimes. This prompted me the check his Madden 12 ratings.

Brent Grimes 5'10" 181lbs STR=49, TKL=53, TGH=70 and HPR=49
Vs.
Peyton Hillis 6'1" 240lbs STR=84, TRK=99, TGH=99, STF=98

I believe the new tackle engine is not accounting for weight, speed and the truck rating when playing online or on the All-Pro skill level.

I believe this issue can be fixed through a tuner update or adjusting the sliders in your Online Community but at this point I just want to draw attention to the cover athlete not being represented well while playing the game online or on All-Pro or above.

I am in the process of capturing video of my games played in the OPSports online Community and would like to post them here so to document my findings. The videos I post will not have any commentary and are for constructive purposes only.

Last edited by datruth; 09-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: (Any Bruiser Backs) Peyton Hillis Vs. Madden 12 Defensive Backs

I don't think its a problem. Broken tackles are still hard to come by in the NFL, even with bruiser backs. In the open field, the most effective strategy is still to make a defender whiff completely on a tackle. Even the bruiser backs usually try to slip in a nifty juke or cutback when they are in the open field. Most trucking occurs between the hashes. Also remember in real life, a smaller defender like Grimes can still anticipate where Hillis will go since Hillis isn't that agile, and therefore put himself in good position. I'm not saying he'll make a perfect tackle every time, but most of the time he is going to be able to make the stop.

Last edited by showmedabounce; 09-01-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Banned

MileHighSalute30's Arena

OVR: 10

I've played a ton of games so far, against the likes of TN, Oakland, SD, Tampa....and have yet to have any of their RBs truck any of my Denver secondary.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

@showme....

I agree with what you said but how often do you see a 180 pound DB try to tackle a 240 pound running back up high, 1 Vs. 1, in the open field? It happens all to often when playing online. I would guesstimate the percentage of 30/70 in favor of the smaller defensive back making a solo open field tackle.

Now that we have consecutive hit tackling, we don't need a little DB making a 1 Vs. 1 tackle on a bruiser back. All the DB needs to do is slow up the runner and wait for help. Now that's what you see on almost every running play in the NFL. A collective effort, gang tackling, is whats needed to take down any NFL running back, and that is very well implemented in this years game IMHO!

Fist video of Cowboys Strong Safety Abram Elam Vs. Peyton Hillis.

My main issue with this tackle is that Peyton's forward momentum is stopped the second Abram makes contact. We should have fell forward not driven back.

Last edited by datruth; 09-01-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Rookie

trufootball's Arena

OVR: 11

i can agree with this post. I will have adrian peterson who is a ferocious runner especially in the open field running full speed downfield all alone and lower my shoulder and truck a defensive back and the defender doesn't budge backwardds at all. he absorbs the hit and weight of AP and just initiates a tackle animation on me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Tackle slider is way too high by default. That is why when it is at 50, more often then not you will see guys full down upon 1st contact.

20 to 25 tackle slider you will see good sized backs bust through a smaller player.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0
I agree, NFL players rarely go down on first contact - broken tackles are common, it's big hits that are rare.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Banned

MileHighSalute30's Arena

OVR: 10

I will try and mess with the tackle sliders, but I gotta say I'm damn impressed how well the running game works. I've see so many cool animations, especially pin balling off a few tacklers for gains.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »